Keith Suspended For 5 Games

Brendan Shanahan explains the suspension.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: duncan+keith

Comments

A bit harsh, 3 would have been fair considering what repeat offender Doan got after two offenses in two weeks, but whatever.  Sedin walks free with his cheap shot and nothing is settled between the two teams..

Hopefully they meet in the playoffs…..and we see what Sedin is, or isn’t, made of.

Posted by sean_o_sean on 03/23/12 at 07:21 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Great comparison Sean.  Benn had the puck, Doan didn’t charge, Benn was looking, it wasn’t revenge.  Yeah, you got it.  You seem to really understand the important points - that’s a real surprise.

Before the game Coach Q talked about trying to restrain his players so they didn’t get out of hand.  Not like that is some context that might have swayed the judge.  Good stuff.  The bare minimum.  Pretty much a green light - if you want to maim a star, you get a minor and a handful of games.  Like I really expected the darlings of the league to face a real punishment.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/23/12 at 07:28 PM ET

Primis's avatar

5 means Shanahan has no balls.  Plain and simple.  Smith got way more for an incidental as a first-time offender.

Posted by Primis on 03/23/12 at 07:30 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Keith will miss the $149,688.15.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/23/12 at 07:32 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I actually think this is pretty fair. Doan’s play was much more spur of the moment whereas, despite Keith’s assertions, he pretty obviously was retaliating as he had apparently been threatening Daniel Sedin up to that point. Also, Jamie Benn wasn’t really hurt whereas Sedin is out with a concussion. That means this elbow was also significantly more vicious. When you take into account the repeat/not repeat offender thing two more games than Doan seems pretty fair and accurate.

and I actually like Duncan Keith as a player much more than the Sedin’s for what it’s worth…

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/23/12 at 07:32 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

10 games would be the minimum for me to be consider justice served.  Not that it matters.  The fvcking major is the thing that kills me.  What exactly would it take?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/23/12 at 07:36 PM ET

Not enough. This was an opportunity for Shanahan to send a message:
1) Star players (Keith) are not treated differently.
2) Intent to injure will be taken seriously.
3) Hits that will likely lead to a concussion will be severely penalized.

That wasn’t done here.

Posted by Mike from Toronto on 03/23/12 at 07:40 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Should have been a minimum of 8.  This is not a strong enough punishment.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/23/12 at 07:52 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Funny, Hawks fans wanted Jiri Hudler suspended for a little whack on the wrist of Patrick Sharp that wasn’‘t even what caused his injury, and now Keith purposefully elbows Sedin in the head, very possibly ending his season, and think 5 games is harsh.  Funny.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/23/12 at 07:54 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I have a pretty neutral position here.  I detest the Sedin twins and I detest Duncan Keith.  I believe Shanahan got it right on the money.  Keith usually is a pretty clean player.  He rarely even makes a questionable hit.  Both Sedins are renowned for their dives.

That being said, this was no dive.  Keith saw an opportunity to injure Sedin and went ahead, though about it and did it.  Since he does not have previous suspensions, the five games is a pretty serious suspension.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 03/23/12 at 07:56 PM ET

1) Star players (Keith) are not treated differently.

How do you figure?  This is Keith’s first suspension and there have been only three suspensions longer (regular season games) than his and all three of those were to players with a history of dirty hits.

Posted by Garth on 03/23/12 at 07:59 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

He hit three points:
-No history
-Elbow
-Injury

He missed:
-principal point of contact is the head
-opponent doesn’t have puck
-charge
-blindside
-retaliation
-context: history of insulting the opponent in the press + coach specifically addressed attempting to restrain his team prior to the game
-no remorse

Way to go Shanny.  Hit all the key points.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/23/12 at 08:24 PM ET

I detest the Sedin twins and I detest Duncan Keith

...go on…

Both Sedins are renowned for their dives.

I’m listening…

This is why 8 games would have been more appropriate in my opinion.

Posted by godblender on 03/23/12 at 08:26 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

all three of those were to players with a history of dirty hits

Brendan Smith?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/23/12 at 08:26 PM ET

Brendan Smith?

As I said, only three players were suspended for more regular season games.  Sutton got 8 for his second suspension this season, Wisniewski got 8 and Carcillo got 7 games.

The Smith has no relation to what I said.

Posted by Garth on 03/23/12 at 08:37 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

ped·ant   [ped-nt]
noun
a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.
a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.
a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense.

This mean anything to you Garth?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/23/12 at 08:41 PM ET

This mean anything to you Garth?

Oh, I’m sorry.  How should I have responded?  You ignored the words I wrote and responded to comments you made up in your head and attributed to me.

The fact that I wrote the words “regular season games” and you chose to ignore those words when you condescended to me isn’t a minor detail.

Posted by Garth on 03/23/12 at 08:44 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I’m just bein’ a dick Garth.  You hate the Nucks, but I think you know that this is too few games.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/23/12 at 08:52 PM ET

Chickenshit.  5 games is a joke.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/23/12 at 09:16 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

The suspension for this kind of play should be more than 5 games because it’s only purpose was to injure an opponent and norhing else.  At least if the guy has the puck and you catch him with his head down you could make a case for separating the guy from the puck.  But the only purpose here was to concuss an opposing player because you don’t like him, and prior history or not, that should NEVER be tolerated, and should come with a minimum suspension of 10 games, if not more.  There was absolutely nothing hockey about this play, it was an assault on another player and nothing more.  If you’re a Hawks fan and disagree, pretend Edler hit Kane like that and then tell me what you think..

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/23/12 at 10:13 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Chickenshit.  5 games is a joke.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/23/12 at 08:16 PM ET

Bingo.

Want this shit to stop?  Should’ve made an example out of him and sat him for the rest of the regular season.

Because this was Keith looking for revenge.  He saw the number and went after him.

To be fair, Sedin should’ve had a conversation with Shanny, too.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/23/12 at 10:53 PM ET

For a first time offender 5 games seems on the strong side based on Shanahan’s history. That being said, it seems about right. I happen to think the retaliation is a mitigating factor, not a negative. Sedin hit him high and he retaliated, not that uncommon for hockey. Better than a goon, that just targets someone for no reason other than to injure. Retaliation isn’t in that category.

Posted by timbits on 03/23/12 at 11:17 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by timbits on 03/23/12 at 10:17 PM ET

Thankfully, your views are mainly only shared by people who’ve been dead a long time.  And again, your corporate handle is super-cool.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/24/12 at 12:27 AM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

your corporate handle is super-cool.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 03/23/12 at 11:27 PM ET

Your temper tantrum is super-funny.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 03/24/12 at 01:20 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

about what I expected so there’s something to be said for consistancy.

Take out the instigator is all I’m going to say.  There’s no honest way for players to police themselves for suspect play.  There’s some negatives but I think overall it would improve the character of the game.  The League wont/can’t do it,  Shanny can’t(I believe the pressure was put on by the owners as well as the NHL to ease up)  Only people who can clean up the game are the players.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/24/12 at 11:55 AM ET

awould's avatar

If that were the new Kronwall making that hit, it would’ve been ass first and legal, and Sedin would’ve been lying on his back feeling some pain. There is pretty much no need to ever lead with an elbow and whenever somebody does, they’re either stupid or malicious - both deserve serious discipline.

5 games is a couple short of fair.

My guess is, they took into consideration that anything more would’ve been seen as “for the remainder of the regular season”, which sounds much harsher than “8 games” even though it’s about the same thing at this point.

Posted by awould on 03/24/12 at 12:30 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Your temper tantrum is super-funny.
Posted by WingsFaninCO on 03/24/12 at 12:20 AM ET

Not that this is an example of it, but yeah, glad I am entertaining in a, “what bullshit is this spastic blowhard gonna freak out about next”, kind of way.
Sometimes I’m screwin around, sometimes I’m ragin, and sometimes I’m just hammsied.  I think I sound like I take myself seriously, to the point that no one else does, but I am a professed jackass.  Half of you are straight-up moron cheer-leaders who’ve never played hockey, so I get more riled up than I need to.

Anyway, you Nuck-haters are fvcking dicks.  Suck it.  Catch you on the flippity-flip.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/24/12 at 12:31 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Except Doc.  I respect him more than anyone else here, hands down, so it really pains me that he hates the Sedins.  Come on, man.  Bullshit.  Did you call Lemieux a diver back in the day?  Cause a lot did, but looking back you can see that you were allowed to do whatever you wanted to him.  If he went down he was a diver, if he stayed up, three guys could hang off him and there’d be no call.  It’s a very analogous situation here.  Everyone knows you can go to town on the Sedins, if you actually watched the Nucks, which of course, none of you experts actually do, you would know that they get totally boned on calls all the time.  Some will argue that they’ve made their own bed, but I honestly don’t think any other whiny stars get it nearly as bad (early Crosby).

I’ll admit that VAN has a problem with whining, and it’s a cycle that has plagued them since 1982 - don’t get the calls, so you whine, so you don’t get the calls, so you whine, so you don’t get the calls, so you whine…..........still….we are in the league, and there is a fvcking rulebook, so WTF?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/24/12 at 12:41 PM ET