Jonathan Toews Has Just Four Goals, None Since November 6th

from Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times,

“I don’t know what to tell you; I feel like I’ve got experience dealing with this sort of thing,” Toews said. “I don’t know what that says about my game. But I still believe I’m that offensive player. I’ve just got to stay with it and keep working.”

Quenneville never worries about Toews, who is still an elite defender, a top penalty-killer, and is ranked second in faceoff percentage (behind only Anaheim’s Antoine Vermette among centers with 500 or more draws).

“He’s getting opportunities,” Quenneville said. “He’s around the net. It’s a matter of time before things start going in for you and you get more confidence in the scoring areas.”

While Toews has his own experience to draw from, he doesn’t need to look too far back to find a comparable situation for another superstar. Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby had just six goals through 32 games last season, and his frustration was mounting along with all the questions about what was wrong with him.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jonathan+toews

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

That’s infinitely more than Sheahan, and Toews sat out 9 or 10 games.

And his team is winning.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 12/21/16 at 08:25 PM ET

Primis's avatar

That’s infinitely more than Sheahan, and Toews sat out 9 or 10 games.

And his team is winning.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 12/21/16 at 07:25 PM ET

Sheahan also makes $2.5m/yr, and Toews makes $10.5m.  Which kinda’ makes Toews’ infinitely worse.  So I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

I mean, I’m tired of Sheahan and all but, seriously…. perspective.  Sheahan makes $8m/yr less and is not wearing a “C”,

Posted by Primis on 12/21/16 at 09:23 PM ET

At least their business model is not entirely dependant on Toews’s image. Kane, Panarin, Hossa or Keith can help to bear, share both the “business” and the “play” burden. Look at Capitals. Their business model is almost entirely built on Ovechkin. With his narrow scope of play they will get nowhere in Stanley Cup contentions… Toews can afford to relax and let other co-stars to take a limelight… Even if it is going to last for some time, nothing bad is going to happen - both in a sense of a quality of play as well as in a sense of the revenue for owners of the team…

Posted by tutoka from Leelanau Peninsula on 12/22/16 at 01:16 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by tutoka on 12/22/16 at 12:16 AM ET

Disagree on Washington. There’s a guy named Braden Holtby who isn’t getting any help from Ovie…

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/22/16 at 09:31 AM ET