John Scott’s Point Of View

from John Scott at The Players' Tribune,

Hey, John, can we talk for a second?”

I guess I should have known.

But I have absolutely no idea what’s coming.

I’m in the weight room, hanging out with the guys, when my GM asks me to take a walk. I’ve been gone for a couple of days — but now I’m back in Phoenix, at the Coyotes practice facility, catching up with the boys. We’re getting some stretches in, and passing around my new gloves.

My All-Star gloves.

I’ve seen my name in the news, on the press release, on the official rosters. But even still: there’s just something about gear, you know? I, John Scott, from Michigan Tech, at 33 years old … have All-Star gloves.

The guys are all genuinely happy for me, and they’re letting me know it. They’re giving me some crap about it, too (of course), but it’s all in good fun. Everyone’s taking their turn, trying my gloves on. We’re laughing. It’s a cool moment.

As this is happening, I see our GM open the door.

He’s not smiling.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: john+scott

Comments

Aww, poor guy.

Posted by Garth on 01/28/16 at 03:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Just imagine, all of this could have been avoided.

First off, the NHL needed to be prepared for ballot stuffing which they were not.

Next, people listened to a few who advised them to vote, early, often, etc.  It made a mockery of the voting process and they got what they wanted.

Instead of focusing on the true stars, we are stuck with this.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/28/16 at 04:06 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Terrific write-up.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention Paul.

I did my Thermodynamics tests on a regular desk without being on a bus with teammates shouting Happy Gilmore lines at me.  And I walked through Another One Bites The Dust one time (and played it for the freshmen who followed a few times myself).  I can’t imagine doing all that *and* playing collegiate hockey at the same time.  Yet, John Scott and I share the same BSME from the same school.  And I love seeing the hockey grinders get a little bit of attention from all of this.  This isn’t just Scott’s all-star appearance, this one’s for all the goons.  And you know it’s the last time it’ll ever happen.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/28/16 at 04:11 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I thought this was a compelling read too. Obviously a well spoken and thoughtful guy. Good for him! The all star game is an inherent joke anyway, who really cares if fans add one more punchline to the joke? I don’t think the whole weekend would get all that significantly better by swapping out Scott for any other player. Its negligible at best and he has basically created the most genuine, emotional storyline of the whole All Star Game. Because other than John Scott wearing his heart on his sleeve (and I guess how SHOCKED everyone is about Larkin’s immediate rise to all star level), I believe the only other storyline there is to follow is “which rich guys are going to get richer from winning a dumb exhibition game that they don’t really try in?”

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/28/16 at 04:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Good comments TM and per…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/28/16 at 04:36 PM ET

jpellek's avatar

All I could think about while reading that was the movie “Goon” which I guess shows how spot on that movie was about the culture of hockey players.

The NHL is reaping what they sowed. They left the voting open to include all players in the league and enough of a groundswell came to get Scott in the game. The fans had fun with a farce and the league ended up validating everything the fans were shooting for. I’m glad he’s in the game as I think his passion for the game cam across quite poignantly in the article. These are the guys who make us love hockey, those who work hard and never give up on the dream of playing in the NHL.

Posted by jpellek on 01/28/16 at 04:53 PM ET

These are the guys who make us love hockey

Who is “us”?

Posted by Garth on 01/28/16 at 04:56 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

What a great read. I love The Player’s Tribune, once you start reading that site, reading MSM takes seems too bubblegum (heck, I have felt that way since I started reading George’s stuff and WIIM)

Lots of good takeaways in there, but this is what stuck out to me as a female:

I try not to think about how young my daughters are, and how much they’ll hate the move. Or about the stress it will place on my wife, who is nine months pregnant with twins.

Oh Lordy, that poor woman….

Posted by KelseyAnn from Ahwatukee, Arizona on 01/28/16 at 04:57 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Great read!  Thanks, Paul!

My advice:
John Scott should get out of hockey before all the head trauma gives him chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

Be an engineer and raise your family!

Posted by w2j2 on 01/28/16 at 05:02 PM ET

Temo's avatar

That was excellent!  It’s always amazes me how tough it is to get into the league.  These guys are truly athletes of the highest caliber.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 01/28/16 at 05:04 PM ET

Mr. Fnytelhatt's avatar

Blimey! That actually changed my perception of JS completely. It might in fact be the most interesting hockey-related article I’ve read all season long.

Just the fact that he’s got a proper degree (i.e. non-“Sports Business Administration”), in engineering no less, makes me respect him about 807% more.

Don’t really agree with his premise that he belongs in the very small talent pool of 700 NHL players though, but: this article has now made me want to watch the All Star game, which absolutely nothing the NHL has done so far has.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 01/28/16 at 05:09 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m really glad he was able to write this, and expose a little more about the whole thing that we didn’t know before.  If anything, this ordeal has given the ASG more attention then ever before (probably?).

It was also refreshing to hear about a player who genuinely wants to go and was honored by the whole thing, despite it being a joke.  It’s a nice change from the guys who fake injuries or whatever to skip it.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/28/16 at 05:11 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Until I read this article, I had no idea John Scott went to MTU, and at the same time I attended.  He was involved in the craziest hockey comeback I have ever seen, they scored 3 goals in the final 5 minutes to tie and won in OT over NMU.

That was an awesome game.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/28/16 at 05:24 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Loved this article.  As usual the Player’s Tribune brings out more of the truth about what actually happens behind closed doors.

These are the guys who make us love hockey

Who is “us”?

Posted by Garth on 01/28/16 at 03:56 PM ET

I am one of the guys that love hearing articles about lives of the enforcers and how many players have many different paths to get into the highest level of ice hockey.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 01/28/16 at 05:30 PM ET

I’d have to agree with above, this was a great read… though I can’t say I feel too bad for the fellow I can definitely empathize.

There’s no arguing that he’s on the fringe, especially as the enforcer is disappearing, but if there wasn’t some place for him he wouldn’t be there.  At a career -18 on +/- over 285 games he can’t be THAT much of a liability and at the very least slightly competitive.

Posted by neffernin on 01/28/16 at 05:43 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I enjoyed this read. Thanks, Paul.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/28/16 at 07:23 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/28/16 at 04:51 PM ET

Honestly I just meant purely looking at the wife’s situation (from another female standpoint) of being nine months pregnant with twins, which places a myriad of stresses on the female body, is incredibly tough on its own. Having to be nine months pregnant with twins and then having to move from one side of the continent to the other has to be even harder…I haven’t had kids yet so I can only imagine how crazy that has to be, but I shudder at the thought!

You are right though, I am sure with the money he has and what he does for a living they will get something worked out. Heck, she might stay behind and give birth here in AZ and hang for a bit before moving, I don’t know.

Posted by KelseyAnn from Ahwatukee, Arizona on 01/28/16 at 08:20 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/28/16 at 03:25 PM ET

Amen!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/28/16 at 09:02 PM ET

Primis's avatar

At the end of the day, Scott could have prevented all this by saying “No”.

I still for the life of me cannot wrap my mind around why he didn’t, even after reading this.

He choose to be laughed at, not with.

It made no sense, and still doesn’t.

Posted by Primis on 01/29/16 at 09:48 AM ET

He didn’t say no because some Neanerthal at the league tried to use his kids to guilt trip him. If I was him, I’d not only go, but I’d get hammered at the sponsor meet and greet and insult the CEO of Firestone (or some big NHL sponsor).

The “why” of the thing is “**** them, that’s why”

Posted by larry on 01/29/16 at 03:11 PM ET