John Scott’s Life In Hockey

from John Scott at The Players' Tribune,

It was like something out of The Godfather.

Just as I was all alone in my dark hotel room, the phone rang.

Brrrrrring.

I had just arrived in Nashville for the 2016 All-Star Game. After I landed, I went out with a few of the guys. We hung out on Broadway at the honky-tonk bars and had a blast.

I was lovin’ it.

I had been traded under some pretty suspicious circumstances two weeks earlier, and my life had been turned upside down, but hey, I was an All-Star. I was reunited with some of my old Sharks buddies. My wife was about to have twins. All the drama was behind me. In my mind, it was all good.

But just as I get back to my hotel room to lie down and watch TV, the phone rings. Not my cell phone. The hotel room phone with the loud, old-school brrrrrring.

Cue the mafioso music.

I pick up, and a mysterious voice says, “Hello, John. Mister Bettman would like to meet with you.”

I’m like, “What?”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: john+scott

Comments

Temo's avatar

Great read!  I love these player narratives!  Best of luck to him and his family.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 12/07/16 at 12:22 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Seems really honest.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 12/07/16 at 12:45 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

It was almost like he was worried I was going to Hulk Hogan the check — just tear it straight down the middle and suplex him for the crowd.

I wish Scott would have taken the check, and then patted little Gary on the head like a little kid.

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/07/16 at 12:48 PM ET

I second TEMO - i love these, and this one in particular is very good. Thanks Paul.

Posted by Moose Moss on 12/07/16 at 02:51 PM ET

Thank you Paul, that was awesome!

Posted by SevensForTed on 12/07/16 at 04:00 PM ET

Mr. Scott, you are a class act!  Thanks.

Posted by BobTheZee on 12/07/16 at 05:03 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

This is a wonderful read, Paul. Thank you.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/08/16 at 12:26 AM ET

Posted by tutoka from Leelanau Peninsula on 12/08/16 at 12:27 AM ET

Self-policying is the aspect of hockey which draws a lot of fans to this sport. Letting players “referee”, “prosecute” , “enforce” and “sentence” in own game is unique for hockey and it helps it to compete with other sports. There is no other sport than hockey where the fighting is not the primary goal of the sport (like box, wrestling, martial arts) while it is still allowed to exist as a part of its culture. Can you imagine the controlled fist bouts in football, baseball, soccer and so on? Not possible. Allowing of fighting in hockey is a sign of inclusion. In a social-psychological sense, the hockey “community” , the “clan”, the “tribe” is attempting to invite in to its play, in to its “drama” also the darker elements, marginalized people, castaways, misfits… Everyone in the “village” can participate and everyone can be accomodated. “Outlaws”, instead of being left behind, are included. Their energy - instead of being destructive towards their own community, is now channeled towards the protection of their own social group.

Posted by tutoka from Leelanau Peninsula on 12/08/16 at 01:00 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Nah, we probably need to send these types to privately run prisons. It is working so well in our country. And YES, I am being just as sarcastic as I am able.

What a great read, Paul. Thanks for staying on top of this type of story!

Posted by dougie on 12/08/16 at 09:07 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Great post. There is not enough of these stories.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 12/08/16 at 11:25 AM ET