John Scott’s at it again

The MetroWest Daily News's Dan Cagen points us toward a video in which we get to witness the latest suspension-worthy infraction from Buffalo Sabres forward John Scott, who very purposefully elbowed Boston Bruisn forward Loui Eriksson in the face:

Update: Surprise!

Update #2: You know how a picture can say a thousand words? Try this one on for size:

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: boston+bruins, buffalo+sabres, john+scott, loui+eriksson

Comments

Chet's avatar

one of the worst hits of the year. i’ll be shocked if eriksson is back any time soon.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 10/23/13 at 10:03 PM ET

That was brutal bullsh!t.

Posted by timbits on 10/23/13 at 10:27 PM ET

awould's avatar

I think Shanny just found his example. This guy will be suspended a long long time but not as much as he deserves.

Posted by awould on 10/23/13 at 11:07 PM ET

What a POS. Ban for life.

Posted by callmedrw on 10/24/13 at 06:56 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

John Scott: 187 NHL games played

Goals=1
Assists=4

Scott no doubt should be suspended, but the GM’s of the Sabres, Blackhawks, Rangers, Wild should also be fired for ever signing this type of player in the first place.

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/24/13 at 07:18 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

very purposefully elbowed

I seem to be in the minority here, but I viewed this video a couple times and I’m not seeing the “very purposefully elbowed” part. What I do see is a guy tuck his arm into his side in preparation for an impact; he doesn’t charge; he doesn’t accelerate; he coasts in from an advance position within Eriksson view. But I also see a hit that is a little late. But I’m missing the plot where this guy just tried the dirtiest play in the world requiring a life-time ban to be made the example for all to bear witness.

If I could view twitter from work, maybe Update #2 would change my outlook. Until I can check it out later, this has the strong feel of a witch-hunt.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 10/24/13 at 07:53 AM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

I like that the salary of a suspended player counts against the cap, but clearly that isn’t a strong enough disincentive to teams carrying this kind of player.  How about if teams weren’t allowed to replace a suspended player on the roster?  That way, a GM who signs a player like Scott (or Kaleta, et al) would also be putting their team at risk of playing shorthanded for an extended period.

Would probably require a CBA change, which means it won’t happen for 7 years at least, but I’d like to see it.

Posted by Savage Henry on 10/24/13 at 08:02 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 10/24/13 at 08:53 AM ET

I need to reverse my position on this play. I went to The Buffalo News website and saw the photo I think is in the twitter link of Update #2 . That photo clearly illustrates the delivery of an elbow to the face. I completely agree this type of play is reckless and has no place in the game. Considering this guy should know better, a lengthy suspension is appropriate.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 10/24/13 at 08:19 AM ET

I predict 5 games.  Why only 5 games you ask?  Because the NHL does not care.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/24/13 at 09:18 AM ET

also, it is not an elbow… it is a shoulder.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/24/13 at 09:23 AM ET

also, it is not an elbow…

Of course it is.

Posted by Garth on 10/24/13 at 11:05 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

This is NOT a shoulder.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/24/13 at 09:41 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

It’s not an elbow!  It’s that little bendy bit in the middle of an arm!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 10/25/13 at 01:27 AM ET