Johan Franzen Takes A Knee From Orpik

In the first period of the game between Detroit and Pittsburgh….

18:17 PIT Brooks Orpik : Kneeing (maj)  - 5 min
18:17 PIT Brooks Orpik : Fighting (maj)  - 5 min
18:17 DET Todd Bertuzzi : Fighting (maj)  - 5 min
18:17 DET Todd Bertuzzi : Instigator - 2 min
18:17 PIT Brooks Orpik : Game misconduct - 0 min
18:17 DET Todd Bertuzzi : Misconduct (10 min)  - 0 min

Franzen stayed on the ice for some time before skating off, but no updated report yet.

added 8:06pm, Franzen not on the bench for the start of the 2nd period.

added 8:31pm, from George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press,

Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen suffered a charley horse late in the first period of tonight’s exhibition opener at Pittsburgh and will miss the rest of the game.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brooks+orpik, johan+franzen

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Sullyosis's avatar

Class Act, Brooks O-prick.  Kneeing one of our stars in a pre-season game.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 09/22/10 at 10:07 PM ET

Johan Franzen Takes A Knee From Orpik

*sigh*

Of crouse he does.

Posted by Garth on 09/22/10 at 10:13 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

I wonder if it was because Franzen hit rosby in game seven in ‘09.

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 09/22/10 at 10:16 PM ET

Are you serious Paul? Is this just because you’re a Wings fan, or is there an actual reason you made a post like this? I haven’t seen something like this before, that’s why I ask.

And since none of us has seen it yet, wait to see it.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/22/10 at 10:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

NathanBC, No matter what team, if it is an injury to any player and I hear about it, I post it.

Not sure what you want to see, it was a major for kneeing.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/22/10 at 10:22 PM ET

ColdWar's avatar

Nathan, wtf.  Serrrusly.

Posted by ColdWar on 09/22/10 at 10:23 PM ET

ColdWar's avatar

And thanks, Paul, for keeping us up to date on an untelevised game.

Posted by ColdWar on 09/22/10 at 10:24 PM ET

Alright. Like I said “I haven’t seen something like this before, that’s why I ask. “

Posted by NathanBC on 09/22/10 at 10:29 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks CW, I added it to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/22/10 at 10:33 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

Yea, this kind of in game post would only exist for a Wings player.  And by this kind I mean, a nothing play that was obviously over hyped by the Det radio guys tongue laugh Charlie-horse is not a serious injury folks.

I know of at least 2 other players that were knocked out of games tonight… don’t see any mention of that?

Not that I care, I’m just sayin’ wink

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 09/22/10 at 11:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Wingman, that is your opinion, but if you go back to the past season, I have brought up numerous, and I mean numerous injuries that were non-Wings related.

If you know of two other players, players that are a important to their, team, you should have mentioned it in your comments.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/22/10 at 11:06 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

Hey Paul, even Ghandi had critics!  I think that you do a marvelous job with this website, and the only reason people know that you’re a fan of the Red Wings is because you told them that.  I certainly isn’t because of bias.  Keep doing what you’re doing and I look forward to seeing you during the season!

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 09/22/10 at 11:10 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Pens radio guys say Crosby has left the game, with the Pens up 5-1, with a hip flexor issue.

Sounded more like for precautionary reasons.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/22/10 at 11:14 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Thanks for the update Paul.

Posted by TheFreak on 09/22/10 at 11:28 PM ET

Does anyone have any video to this hit?  Love the conspiracy theories already without people even being able to see the hit.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/22/10 at 11:36 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

I’d like to see the hit myself.  It’s pretty rare that the referee will assess a major and a game for ‘kneeing’ if there wasn’t intent to injure.

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 09/22/10 at 11:41 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

Paul, of course it is my opinion - not sure that needed clarification?

I never said I had a problem with it, and you yourself said this site has a large Wings influence.  I’m just saying, I’ve never seen much on here where there was no real injury.  You usually have the information before posting.  I stand by what I said.

And to Gumby, I don’t think my opinion on that post insinuated that Paul doesn’t do a great job with the site…

I just felt that post didn’t flow with the usual posts on the site, and would only exist for a Wings related incident.

Not sure if I have to specify, but that is my opinion wink

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 09/22/10 at 11:46 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/22/10 at 09:36 PM ET

Like you guys wouldn’t be all over this if the headline instead was “{Any Penguin} takes a knee from Ovechkin”  You guys would be asking for him to be given a 30 game suspension without seeing it.  Gimme a break.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 09/22/10 at 11:47 PM ET

That’s true, but if there is one thing I have learned from certain members of this site, it’s to not trust the judgment of the refs or the NHL.

Kidding aside, hopefully there’s some type of video that surfaces.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/22/10 at 11:49 PM ET

Posted by John W. from one win at a time on 09/22/10 at 09:47 PM ET

I’d probably like to see the hit first before making any type of decision on it, but hey, that’s just me.  I’m sure the rational thing to do would be to get all up in arms about it when nothing is certain.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/22/10 at 11:52 PM ET

Krononymous's avatar

It flows and it’s very meaningful considering what Franzen went through last season.  I know I will be nervous until he’s back on the ice for the next game.

Posted by Krononymous on 09/22/10 at 11:52 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t know what happened, but I set Bertuzzi was the one who took the flll for fighitng and trying to get revenge.  Freaking A, Bert.  That may be the first thing he’s done truly RIGHT since he’s been in Detroit.

And have fun being suspended already, Orpik.  I see a GMC, I’m pretty sure that warrants an automatic suspension of at least a game.  I don’t know about the whole Repeat Offender part, if that’s relevant in this case…

Sounded more like for precautionary reasons.

... And those reasons are “the Pens are afraid he might get hurt playing against real men who are now mad at his team for needlessly injuring a player in a meaningless preseason game”.  Way to be the gutless wonders you always have been…

Posted by Primis on 09/22/10 at 11:58 PM ET

Way to be the gutless wonders you always have been…

You do realize it’s the preseason and that teams do this in the regular season all the time?  Even the Red Wings when Kronwall jumps into someone will sit Zetterberg and Datsyuk late in the third if the game is out of hand either way.  Guess that makes them gutless too then

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/23/10 at 12:01 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/22/10 at 10:01 PM ET

Name one game where that happened…. that’s what I thought.

Posted by calquake on 09/23/10 at 12:08 AM ET

Gumby's avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/22/10 at 10:01 PM ET

I myself have been critical of several minor calls and the point in the game in which they are called (as with many other people).  I’ve been critical of several ‘non calls’ as well.  With that said, I’ve yet to see a major being called that hasn’t been deserved.  In fact, all of the officials confer with each other before making a call like that.  Whether it’s against the team that I root for or any other team, the officials aren’t sending a player off for a major and a game if he didn’t deserve it.  And as Bertuzzi was sticking up for Franzen, I’m sure Orpik was trying to avenge for Crosby getting hit by Fanzen in game 7 of the ‘09 finals (in the same measure that Bertuzzi stuck up for Naslund in ‘04).

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 09/23/10 at 12:12 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Paul has had injury posts many times in the past with video. Why an opening game in a new building was not televised is beyond me.  You need a chunk of cheddar to go with your whine pfib.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 09/23/10 at 12:14 AM ET

Please.  You are kidding yourself if you think that every NHL team does not do this.  When the games get out of hand and the third and fourth liners are getting more minutes than usual.

The point of the matter is it’s preseason.  If any player tweaks anything, they are going to sit, regardless of anything that has happened previously in the preseason game.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/23/10 at 12:14 AM ET

ColdWar's avatar

Wow.  Hockey’s back, I see.

Started out as a simple post about a possible injury.  Relevant and newsworthy.  Thanks, Paul.  I trust you’ll keep us updated going forward.

Everyone else - I’ll be enjoying the petty bickering from afar.  Peace out.

Posted by ColdWar on 09/23/10 at 12:21 AM ET

Gumby's avatar

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 09/22/10 at 09:46 PM ET

You don’t need to specify anything to anyone on this site.  Be that as it may, the way I read your post is that Paul is bias towards the Wings.  I don’t agree with you that this site is slanted to the Wings (with the exception of A2Y).  I think that all of the bloggers do a good job supporting their respective teams.  A2Y just has several more posts than the others.  Each blogger has the same opportunity.  But if you make a comment that suggests something critical of Paul (and/or others), your comment may or will be met with criticism itself.  Everyone’s opinion is what drives this site and I think that I can speak for Paul that all criticisms are notes and considered if it would improve the way things are done here.  That is what makes this site great.

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 09/23/10 at 12:22 AM ET

How can you even infer this without seeing any video?  Maybe Franzen made a quick move on Orpik and to get a piece of him, he stuck his knee out.  It’s possible you are right, but until some type of video comes out, you can’t say whether or not that was the case.  Not that it will matter because everyone’s viewpoint will be skewed however they want to be.

You need a chunk of cheddar to go with your whine pfib.

Didn’t realize I was whining about anything.  Considering my entire point is that I cannot see things that happened where I am not while others apparently can not only see it, but also read the players minds at the time that something happens.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/23/10 at 12:25 AM ET

yreland's avatar

A charley horse deep bruise can keep a player off the ice for an extended period of time.  Not the same definition as when your sister gives you one.

Posted by yreland from Hockey's black hole South Carolina on 09/23/10 at 12:31 AM ET

Gumby's avatar

I don’t need to see a video to make that assumption.  Players will pick there time for retribution.  If you don’t think that happens in the NHL then you’re fooling yourself.  Believe me, if Franzen were making a ‘quick move’ and Orpik stuck his knee out, Orpik would not have gotten a major and a game misconduct.  The officials will not make that call unless there was sufficient reason for intent to injure.

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 09/23/10 at 12:33 AM ET

I’ve never seen much on here where there was no real injury.

How long have you been reading the site?

We’re talking about a guy who has missed significant time in each season since his rookie season, a guy who has been looked at for a break out season each of the past four years, and each year it’s been a case of “if he can stay healthy”.  He missed 50+ games last year after getting injured in the early season.

But it’s not relevant that he might be injured in the preseason?

As a result of a questionable hit that resulted in a five minute major and a game misconduct?

Why would that be relevant?

Posted by Garth on 09/23/10 at 12:37 AM ET

Posted by yreland from Van Dieman’s Land on 09/22/10 at 10:31 PM ET

That is true.  And before I go any further, if I go any further into this topic tonight, I hope Franzen is fine and is ready for the start of the year.  Not a fan of any person getting hurt during the preseason, and with Franzen’s injury problems in the past (last year and concussion problems in the past I believe), it is something to worry about.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/23/10 at 12:37 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Sorry pfib. The wing man should get the block of cheddar.Sheesh. You must be related to rosby judging by your whining.
Gumby +1 . The refs don’t make that call unless it was flagrant.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 09/23/10 at 12:39 AM ET

The refs don’t make that call unless it was flagrant.

It’s also possible that the refs make that call based on the result of the play and not on the actual infraction.  Had Franzen gotten up, it could have been just a minor or not even a penalty knowing NHL refs.  However, Franzen goes down and stays down, and Bertuzzi comes in and boom, you have a situation.  That’s why I think, regardless of rulings that were made, no one can infer anything about the hit.

Just for an overview as well, here’s the link from the NHL rulebook regarding kneeing:

As an aside, good on the NHL to get up a rulebook that isn’t just a .PDF that takes forever to download on my crappy computer.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/23/10 at 12:54 AM ET

Gumby's avatar

.....but the rule on a major penalty is at the discretion of the referee/official.  Knowing full well that a game misconduct accompanies a major penalty for kneeing and also considering that this is a preseason game, the referee will consider all of that when deciding whether or not to assess the major penalty.  That is a stiff and serious penalty so the official wants to make sure that he is putting the punishment with the crime.

I also hate how long a .pdf file takes to download as well.  I have a hard copy of the rulebook.

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 09/23/10 at 01:07 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Taking off the homer glasses, he’s right. It does sometimes happen. We need to see video, but given his reputation, I’m going to assume Orpik was the huge douche we think he has always been until proven otherwise.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/23/10 at 01:13 AM ET

Mike from Austin's avatar

A charley horse deep bruise nearly ended Billy Guerin’s career.  This is a very serious and significant injury.

Posted by Mike from Austin on 09/23/10 at 03:10 AM ET