Janssen Sorry For What He Said

via the New Jersey Devils,

Devils forward Cam Janssen has released the following statement:

“Earlier this week, I participated in an internet-based radio show in which I used some poor judgment which I now regret. The New Jersey Devils were unaware of this interview, which I arranged myself.

“I would like to apologize for my poor choice of language. The tone of the interview was very casual and off-color, and I lost focus on what is and is not acceptable and professional. I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by my language. Moving forward, I hope to eliminate that type of language from my vocabulary. I would also like to take this chance to express my support for the work the You Can Play project is doing, and for the gay community in general.

“I apologize for the embarrassment my comments have caused to the New Jersey Devils management, as well as my teammates.”

If interested in what was said, check out Puck Daddy.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New Jersey Devils, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: cam+janssen

Comments

what a piece of shit. no room in the game for these people. you want to know why there are head injuries, read this guys interview.

Posted by callmedrw from detroit on 07/13/12 at 01:18 PM ET

Heh.  Now I see Janssen as an Ed Hardy-wearing/Affliction Jersey Shore cast member with the awkward blowout and fake tan fist-pumping his way through a nightclub filled with Snooki-wannabes.

[shivers]

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/13/12 at 01:27 PM ET

I was going to try to defend this dude, because we all get a little foot-in-mouth from time to time…. but I don’t think I’m going to do that now. What a meat head.

Posted by LGRWeh on 07/13/12 at 02:13 PM ET

Now I see Janssen as an Ed Hardy-wearing/Affliction Jersey Shore

That was my thought, this guy is totally Jersery Shore!

Posted by timbits on 07/13/12 at 02:15 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Has anybody ever played hockey? Do you know how hockey players talk on the ice? This type of stuff is not surprising in the least. It’s wrong b/c you’re not supposed to talk like this off the ice but give me a break. It’s not politically correct and offensive but it’s not as “jersey shore” like some of you maintain. I bet there are at least half dozen players on every team that talk like this. The comments are insensitive and inappropriate but you guys are acting as if this is appalling. Crawl of your sheltered surbaban holes and welcome to reality.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/13/12 at 02:49 PM ET

AMEN, didn’t know there was a bunch of Stepford Wives and virgins on this board.  Janssen is a dolt, but mostly because he took what’s said on the ice, off it.

Posted by booyah! from chicago on 07/13/12 at 02:54 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Cave men grunt so eloquently these days.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/13/12 at 03:01 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Sounds like someone has some serious issues to want to “... catch you with your [expletive] head down and hurt you…”

Yeah, that’s what hockey needs more of, people getting hurt because someone thinks that’s the way you should play.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/13/12 at 04:25 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If that’s his apology he would have been better off not apologizing.

Unless the words” I can be a real idiot and say some stupid things sometimes” was in that apology, it was going to be a hollow PR apology.  A typical “apologize while deflecting blame for it away from yourself” deal.

Posted by Primis on 07/13/12 at 04:37 PM ET

It is better to be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.

Posted by 13 user names on 07/13/12 at 04:37 PM ET

I wasn’t offended by the language but the white trash mentality of equating the Kings to the fat girl you screwed.  Especially when you are the least talented guy on the Devils. Also, if the Kings are that fat, girl what does that make the Devils? Considering the Kings pretty much kicked their ass. You only talk trash when you can back it up and this case he has nothing to back it up with so STFU!

Posted by timbits on 07/13/12 at 05:26 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

“anyone who was offended” is not an apology.  “I’m sorry to those who I offended” is.

If you’re serious about your regret, get your apology out of the passive voice.

Posted by Stevis on 07/13/12 at 05:26 PM ET

A bunch of posters on a hockey board being offended by Cam Jensen is pretty funny, actually. Recall what you wrote about your team’s GM after the last bad trade he made? Or the last player you picked on?  I guess you needed a warning, saying ” Some adults might find this offensive” before it came on..

Posted by Alan on 07/13/12 at 07:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yep. Neither of those things let on that I try to hurt people at my job or that I think homosexuals should be beaten up.

I guess when people say offensive things, you just shouldn’t have listened in the first place.  Definitely shouldn’t share your opinion because this guy who thinks you act like some other people he’s seen act believes you’re a hypocrite.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/13/12 at 07:56 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

I don’t want to defend the guy, because he acted like an idiot on that show…but if you watched/listened to the interview he didn’t say those things out of the blue.  The hosts egged on/initiated pretty much every one of the comments everyone is up in arms about.

I don’t know how “radio personalities” like that go to sleep at night knowing they brought out the worst in a guy.  If I were an NHL player, I’d never step within 100 feet of that studio after seeing how they brought out the worst in Janssen.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 07/14/12 at 12:21 AM ET