Jimmy Howard Pointing To A Thursday Return

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard was back on the ice Monday, briefly working out with goaltending coach Jim Bedard before practice. Howard, however, wasn’t able to practice due to his bruised right knee and won’t play Tuesday at Pittsburgh.

Joey MacDonald will make his second start in row. Howard hopes to return for Thursday’s game in St. Louis.

“I just did some skating. The only problems I really had was getting up and down,’’ Howard said. “Unless something drastically changes overnight, I’m (aiming) for Thursday. I was hoping I’d be ready for Tuesday night. I’ve been progressing every day.’’

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jimmy+howard

Comments

Nathan's avatar

Huge sigh of relief. Of all the injuries, this was the one the Wings couldn’t sustain for more than a few games. Not because Howard is that good, but more because the Wings otherwise have the talent to go for it now, and if they lost both their goalies, they’d essentially be forced to try and find a goalie.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/17/11 at 04:43 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

The only problems I really had was getting up and down,’’

If you haven’t been able to get up and down for a week, isn’t it a bit naive to think you are in game shape as soon as your mobility returns.  I would expect a few days full practice would be in order before he is called on to start.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 01/17/11 at 04:54 PM ET

I expect MacDonald to give Crosby a nice face-washing the same way Howard would have…

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 01/17/11 at 04:57 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Posted by wingsnut25 on 01/17/11 at 02:57 PM ET

Except Sid wont be playing either

Posted by pensfan29 on 01/17/11 at 05:12 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

That’s right, I heard Sid has a UTI. Out for the big game, but that’s okay, so are like 6 of our best players.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 01/17/11 at 05:36 PM ET

Sid will be getting a facewash from his nurse, though… so that’s at least something.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/17/11 at 05:51 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Sad to say, but right now the only difference between Jimmah (aside from his brilliance against the ‘Nucks) and Joey, is that one needs 4 goals to win, and the other 5.

DET’s GA/G is an abysmal 2.87 (19th).
09-10, 2.52 (7),
08-09, 2.93 (20),
07-08, 2.18 (1)

Our defensive play is killing us - - and has been most of the year.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/17/11 at 06:39 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Our defensive play is killing us - - and has been - - since McClelland left.

FIXED

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 01/17/11 at 07:20 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Our defensive play is killing us - - and has been - - since McClelland left.

True, but the SJS GA/G isn’t that terrific this season either. 2.78 (16)

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/17/11 at 08:12 PM ET