Jimmy D. Talks Salary Cap And Wings

from Brendan Savage of Mlive,

Devellano said he expects the NHL salary cap to increase from $64.3 million this year to somewhere in the neighborhood of $70 million next season. That could leave the Red Wings with about $20 million to re-sign some of their own players or to spend on free agents.

“There are so many different avenues to try and build a team,” he said. “We certainly used the draft but unrestricted free agency is an important tool for us, maybe the most important. If you can make a trade, they’re not easy to do, but you make a trade.

“We will continue to draft and always look to see who the best unrestricted free agents are and try to add one or two of them as we go along.”

Devellano scoffed at the notion that the Red Wings’ roster needs to be torn apart and rebuilt because the club is too old. He said other than Lidstrom (42), Tomas Holmstrom (39) and Todd Bertuzzi (37), most players are still in their prime or approaching it.

“You take those three players away ... the team is not really old,” Devellano said. “We want to try and remain competitive. We don’t see any reason to tear down the team. We don’t think our fans want us to tear down the team. I think they want us to do whatever we can do to win.

“I don’t know why we would tear up the team with players like Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk and Jimmy Howard and Johan Franzen. I’m not sure why we would do that. Tearing up the team means you’re going to miss the playoffs. We did have 102 points this year.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jimmy+devellano

Comments

Primis's avatar

And let the mindless, tired Franzen bashing begin in 3… 2… 1…

Posted by Primis on 05/02/12 at 10:22 AM ET

Interesting that he doesn’t see McCollum or Pearce playing in GR next year.

Posted by RyanVM from Philly on 05/02/12 at 10:31 AM ET

It sounded like they might part ways with Conklin?  They could bring in Parise, Suter and a big, tough forward, addressing all their non-goaltending issues, and those moves would all be negated if he brought back Conklin, forcing Jimmy to end up playing way too much and burning him out for the playoffs.

Posted by Garth on 05/02/12 at 10:41 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Interesting that he doesn’t see McCollum or Pearce playing in GR next year.

Posted by RyanVM from Philly on 05/02/12 at 09:31 AM ET

I think Pearce has used up his time and McCollum is getting close to the same.  Someone needs to go to make room for Mrazek.  I don’t know that Joey Mac is retained to play in GR though—if he is, it’s to back up Howard.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/12 at 10:42 AM ET

JMac has one year remaining on his contract and it’s a one-way deal for that year. He’d have to clear waivers to come up or go down.

Posted by Moocat on 05/02/12 at 11:02 AM ET

And let the mindless, tired Franzen bashing begin in 3… 2… 1…

Posted by Primis on 05/02/12 at 09:22 AM ET

why don’t you lay out what he’s done to not be bashed

Posted by Jason on 05/02/12 at 11:04 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Jimmy D and Babcock are a little more “old school”. Holland? Not so much but I think he’s gonna move more towards that (i.e. bigger, tougher team). At least I hope so. The thing that worries me is Babs and Jimmy have always been this way and Holland has always had the skill philosophy. Hmmm… we shall see.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/02/12 at 11:13 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

So does that much extra cap space end the argument about whether Detroit can land both Suter and Parise if Lidstrom comes back or does it make the bickering more fun, as everybody who thinks Parise and/or Suter for a $6M cap hit is actually going to happen?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/02/12 at 11:21 AM ET

Primis's avatar

why don’t you lay out what he’s done to not be bashed

Posted by Jason on 05/02/12 at 10:04 AM ET

Led the team in goals this season with 29G, including 10 GWG (that’s ten Game Winning Goals, trailing only Stamkos and Vrbata who had 12 each), and was a +23.

For comparison Zetterberg managed only 22G (and it took a red-hot spring to even get there), only 4 GWG, and was a +14.

Why don’t you lay out something statistically showing that Franzen a) did anything this year that was “down” from previous years and expectations, and b) cheapening the 10 GWG.  Franzen is what he is, he did what he has done previous years.  Not his fault that some people think he should score 60 like Stamkos and then score twice every single playoff game…  he’s a dependable 30 goal-scorer who shouldn’t be carrying the entire goal-scoring burden in season or playoffs.

Posted by Moocat on 05/02/12 at 10:02 AM ET

I think I’d be fine with JMac backing up Howard next year.  Let Pearce go, keep McCollum to pair with Mrazek in GR, and run with it.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/12 at 11:23 AM ET

awould's avatar

Why don’t you lay out something statistically

My problem with Franzen isn’t his stats. He scores goals.

My problem is his lack of consistency. He scores 30 goals because he tries in only 30 games. The other 50 games he lollygags around the ice. This hurts the production of his linemates. He can’t be relied on to show up night in and night out. If he had half the drive of Helm, he would score 15-20 more goals a season.

I would rather get a guy who busts his ass every shift and puts in 15-20 goals, but can spark his linemates each to put in another 7-8 themselves.

Posted by awould on 05/02/12 at 12:07 PM ET

Posted by awould on 05/02/12 at 11:07 AM ET

This, pretty much.

But I would also say that Franzen scored in 25 games, which means he probably tried in about 15-18 games and was a beneficiary of his linemates’ play in 7-10 games and didn’t give a shit for the rest of the season.

Posted by Garth on 05/02/12 at 12:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Pavel Datsyuk with Johan Franzen (even-strength only) - Regular season & playoffs:

11 Hours, 46 minutes, 56 seconds
9 goals, 25 assists, +20 rating, shot differential 394-252 (+142)

Without Johan Franzen:

7 Hours, 18 minutes, 31 seconds
7 goals, 7 assists, +3 rating, shot differential 265-185 (+80)

Per-60 Ratings ( to even things up a bit)

With: Goals 0.76 - Assists: 2.12 - Plus/Minus: 1.7 - shot differential: +12
Without:  Goals 0.95 - Assists 0.96 - Plus/Minus: 0.41 - shot differential: +11

So Pavel Datsyuk scores goals without Johan Franzen at a rate higher than he does with him, but it hardly evens out when you add goals + assists and figure that he earns 1 less point (and 1 less goal for Detroit by extension) for every 60 minutes played.  Plus/Minus basically tells us the same thing.

Shot differential is a bit weird though.  It could mean that Datsyuk & Franzen put up better scoring opportunities when they’re together or it could just be a random fluctuation over the course of this season which says that the relatively close numbers would create results that much difference.

Overall, we can argue that somebody ELSE on Datsyuk’s wing might be even better than Franzen has been, but I’m finding it hard to argue that Franzen’s presence has been outright detrimental to his teammates.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/02/12 at 12:54 PM ET

Primis: Fransen is a floater. He is paid to be the teams Power Forward. With his size and hands he should be scoring 40 plus goals a year. 29 goals is a joke considering Hudler had what 25?? Hudler doesn’t have a 1/10 of the ability of Fransen but he scored just 4 goals less?? come on dude wake up

Asking me to layout what fransen has done less is a laugh. he should be doing far moe with his size and skill. It’s just to bad you don’t see it.

what has Fransen done to help this team advance in the playoff’s “nothing”

this guy is under contract for another 10 years it makes me sick!!!

You are the typical HEY HEY HOCKEY TOWN wings fan. what ever Holland sells you you lap up like a dog!!!

Posted by Jason on 05/02/12 at 12:57 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/02/12 at 11:54 AM ET

Maybe I’m wrong, I’ve definitely soured on Franzen over the past couple seasons. I do think he doesn’t play with any consistency and lacks the ‘fire in his belly’ unless seriously provoked, and I find it hard to believe that a guy who phones it in half the time isn’t a detriment to the team or his linemates.

I think it’s sort of fruitless to try to quantify this though, as there are 3 guys on a line and when Datsyuk isn’t playing with Franzen, who is he playing with. Who is the 3rd guy? Who are the D pairings with them, what is the game situation? When you parse all the variables out, the sample size shrinks too much.

Everyone talks about how the Wings need to get bigger and tougher and I just think of Franzen, Bertuzzi, Abdelkader and Ericsson and wonder wtf? Bert and Abdelkader use their size most times, though Abby was weak in the playoffs, but Franzen and Ericsson just waste 3 inches and 35 pounds every time they hop over the boards.

Also, great stats, where’d you find them?

Posted by awould on 05/02/12 at 01:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by awould on 05/02/12 at 12:07 PM ET

I kind of agree with you. I don’t think he’s actively detrimental considering the on-team alternatives, but I’d rather have someone else there if possible.  Still, I think Franzen can bring $4M worth of cap value to Detroit playing with Datsyuk. If there’s a detriment on that line, I think it’s been their lack of another consistently dangerous Winger (since Bertuzzi brings that for about 20 games per season and then just kind of falls back to the fairly defensively-responsible, but not horribly offensively threatening winger he’s become).

For the defensive pairing question, Pavel spent about 3 more hours with Lidstrom at even strength than with Kronwall.

Stats came from hockeycssi.com. The per-60 stats were manually calculated.

Bottom line is that Franzen has a place in Detroit’s top six, but I’d trade him for another top-six guy if that became available.  What I am against is getting rid of Franzen for the sake of getting him off the team.  I’m not interested in reclamation projects, bottom-six guys, middle-of-the-road prospects, or draft picks for Mule.  Sadly, I think that’s all he’s worth by himself on the market right now, so we’d likely be looking at Franzen + some picks/prospects to bring back a top-six guy.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/02/12 at 01:18 PM ET

awould's avatar

Completely agree. For the cap hit, he’s not bad at all for the stats he produces, and maybe they can’t do better. I just feel like the problems that plagued them in losing to Nashville are mostly closely personified in Franzen. Not playing with enough heart, not going to the net, not scrumming hard enough in the corners…. Phoenix is beating Nashville for two reasons…. they are doing those three things, and Nashville is just off a bit, esp Rinne.

It’s so ironic that Franzen’s one goal came because he went to the net hard…. and it bounced off his leg. If that’s not God or Allah or Pan or Grand Poobah sending a message, not sure what is.

If we had to package up Franzen and a high draft pick to get a guy with the same cap hit who will pot in 50-60 pts a season by playing hard every game I’d do it in a second. I worry the attitude is infectious.

Posted by awould on 05/02/12 at 01:33 PM ET

This is all very well said.  Franzen for another top six forward is a trade I’d make, but Franzen for draft picks or prospects doesn’t help the Wings in the present.

As for reclamation projects, I just read on Puck Daddy about the Canadiens’ plan to buy out Scott Gomez and I had a horrible vision of Ken Holland handing a Red Wings jersey to Gomez…

Posted by Garth on 05/02/12 at 01:48 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That’s beyond horrible.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/02/12 at 02:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The Canadiens would be foolish to buy him out. Minors yes, buyout no.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/12 at 02:25 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/12 at 01:25 PM ET

They might be counting on the amnesty clause that’ll be negotiated in the new CBA.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/02/12 at 05:06 PM ET

In franzen’s 7 year career, he has never had a 60 point season. 59 points is his high mark. This year he had 56, good for 69th overall in scoring. When he is on, he is great. But when he isn’t-the majority of the time, he doesn’t do anything. he don’t skate, he don’t check, he just wonders around the rink. Remember the playoffs 2 years ago vs the Yotes. Doan was checking everything in sight, and Franzen ran and hid. That is what we need, more players like Doan-who is also a UFA this year, and fewer guys like Hudler. The days of having a team full of 5-11/180 pound players is over. has been for a while.
Last note. The Wings are the best US franchise, yet we have none of the top young american players. other than Howard. Fewer Euros and more Americans would be wonderfull!

Posted by Richdg on 05/02/12 at 09:27 PM ET