Jesse Puljujarvi Looking For A Top-Six Opportunity

from TSN,

Jesse Puljujarvi is looking for fresh start this summer away from the Edmonton Oilers and told Finnish television station Laari he's hoping that includes a top-six role with his new team.

"I want a team where I get a place in one of the first two lines and where I get to play for 15 minutes per game. Then I could show what I'm going for. That is my main goal," Puljujarvi said, via Google Translate.

Puljujarvi's agent, Mark Lehto, has maintained throughout the summer that his client's No. 1 priority is to play in the NHL next season, but has left the door open to playing in Europe if the winger is not traded by the Oilers.

The 21-year-old admitted to Laari that he has struggled with English since making the move to North America in 2016. "Language has been a challenge for me. I've always been successful, but it would be fun if things went better," Puljujarvi said.

Lehto told Finland's MTV Sports earlier this month that a trade remains possible, or even likely, but moving the former No. 4 overall pick for a return that satisfies the Oilers is proving difficult.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jesse+puljujarvi

Comments

Good luck with that, Jesse.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/20/19 at 11:55 AM ET

I don’t think there is a team in the NHL that would give him a top 6 role based on NHL history. If he really wants a fresh start then he’ll have to start near the bottom and work his way up.

His other options is to return to Finland where he might not even get top 6 minutes in the elite league or play in a lesser league where he could get top 6 minutes but be a far cry from the NHL.

The Oilers are screwed because he obviously wants out but they’ll never get a decent return. Even getting a 4th round pick seems optimistic at this point.

Posted by evileye on 08/20/19 at 04:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Maybe Holland will take Abdelkader!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/20/19 at 04:38 PM ET

Maybe Holland will take Abdelkader!

But then who does Yzerman flip Puljujarvi to and what does he get back?

I, for one, don’t have any time for an entitled player who has proven nothing but wants a top-six roster spot.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/20/19 at 05:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

CDMD, he gets rid of Abby’s contract, but the comment from me was jest, don’t see it happening.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/20/19 at 05:57 PM ET

Oh, I get you. I just think that he’d be trading one problem for another. I personally think that the Abdelkader contract is potentially less problematic than having an entitled kid trying to force his way into a role he didn’t earn.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/21/19 at 12:55 PM ET