Jeff Petry To Montreal

added 9:01am,

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jeff+petry

Comments

That’s it?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 09:58 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

That’s it?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 08:58 AM ET

I often wonder if there isn’t either, 1. A major disconnect in KH brain about how to talk price, or, 2. A major disconnect in KH brain about how to talk price.

Posted by duhduhduh on 03/02/15 at 09:59 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Seems like a good price. Trades are confusing… Coburn cost so much more than Petry, and is he really that much better?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/02/15 at 10:05 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/02/15 at 08:59 AM ET

You assume, of course, that he was even interested. I wasn’t.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/02/15 at 10:06 AM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/02/15 at 08:59 AM ET

Holland doesn’t have to go after every player available. Was never that excited about Petry

Posted by George0211 on 03/02/15 at 10:07 AM ET

I think Alan may hit the nail on the head… maybe Marchenko has played well enough that they considered Petry not much better…it’s not like he has playoff experience.  i think he would have been good in Detroit…but maybe not the guy they wanted on the top pairing?  I don’t know, that’s the only thing… because that was a low price.

I also am starting to believe that Holland likes the picks better than prospects to some degree.  I suppose you can look at it like if you have a prospect you are confident that isn’t going to make your team or do what you had expected… its’ better to trade them than a pick which could get you something good still?

We need an offensive D man…. preferably that can play on the top pair with Kronval…. sigh.  Here comes Zidlicky or nobody!  If not an offensive guy…then a bruiser that can skate…

I was laughing last night at Holland’s quote about Cole from the other night, about how he took the puck to the net and scored.  It’s not like you have to pay a big price to get to the detroit net….. smile

Posted by DieByTheWing on 03/02/15 at 10:09 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

You assume, of course, that he was even interested. I wasn’t.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/02/15 at 09:06 AM ET

Well, I just monitor the coach speak which has Babcock mumbling right handed shot practically every other sentence, so I figured Kenny would have some interest, especially for that price.

Posted by duhduhduh on 03/02/15 at 10:14 AM ET

I agree on the sentiment about Holland not being interested - nor was I, really. I am just surprised he came that cheaply.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 10:15 AM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/02/15 at 09:14 AM ET

Babcock also said how happy he is with Marchenko and said hopefully he is our right handed trade.
Not sure why everyone was so excited about Petry.

Posted by George0211 on 03/02/15 at 10:16 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I feel Marchenko has transitioned perfectly.  This will sound like I’m a true homer, but has Marchenko made a bad play yet since being called up???  He seems to make tape to tape passes perfectly, does not panic under pressure like Ericsson, Kindl, Quincey, and to me looks like a future stud defenseman on our blue line.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/02/15 at 10:17 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Yeah, from pre-season through November maybe.

Petry was vastly over-rated by the most vocal of commenters on this blog.  The price MTL paid is not surprising.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/02/15 at 10:19 AM ET

Mark Spector just tweeted the thought behind this. Petry valued around the league as a 4-5 guy and nothing more.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 10:31 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Not sure why everyone was so excited about Petry.

Posted by George0211 on 03/02/15 at 09:16 AM ET

I like Marchenko, too.  I always did ever since I read how good he was projected to be before he had has spleen removed a while back.  But he does still need to get faster—I think he will eventually—and we do still need D that can help advance the puck more quickly and accurately.  Babcock made direct reference to that need as recently as Saturday when he identified that skill set as the engine of Nashville’s game.  Have you noticed how pedestrian E and Smith and even Kronwall are at passing the puck?

Posted by duhduhduh on 03/02/15 at 10:32 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I think this is a good price for Petry, but I would agree it is one that wouldn’t have been worth paying for the Wings. They need a top pair anchor. Forget what Uncle Mike says about being a righty. Sure, that’d be swell, but the talent level trumps all. If you could get in the game for Yandle or Myers, then you’re improving the team. Otherwise, I don’t see Petry as better than what we’ve gotten from XO or Marchenko this season.

Kindl is also always still floating in the background. Who knows. When the guy has a good night he looks like a solid top 4 option with a little bit of offensive upside. Just too bad his performances are so up and down.

The only way trading for a guy like Petry makes some sense at this point is if you either 1) have completely given up on Brendan Smith or 2) Q’s bone spurs are a real issue that will prevent him from playing much or any the rest of the season.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/02/15 at 10:37 AM ET

I’d rather give up what Montreal grave up for Petry than trading for a full-priced Phaneuf, frankly.

Posted by Garth on 03/02/15 at 10:40 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/02/15 at 09:32 AM ET

This is interesting, and a great point. The Wings D is actually pretty effective “defensively.” They cover pretty well, they along with the forwards have had much better gap control this year than in recent seasons, and as the mostly strong PK has shown, they don’t fiddle too much. Where they get in trouble is with exactly what you point out… not only does it hamper potential offense, but being unable to make the right outlet pass sometimes causes them to be pinned in longer, and despite doing all those other things I mentioned so well, you can only chase so long.

I don’t think you can say much negative about Kronwall. DDK and, somewhat surprisingly, Quincey have been very good passers out of their own end this season. The other guys have been up and down. I think I’m much more willing to stick with Smith than most fans… I think he’s going to get there and I’m actually pretty happy with his play this season.

It would be so nice if Kindl found some consistency in his game, because when he’s on, he really is an above average passer, both out of his own end and has shown a little skill to walk the puck on the offensive blueline and pick out the right pass or shot when gaps open up.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/02/15 at 10:41 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Not sure why everyone was so excited about Petry.

Posted by George0211 on 03/02/15 at 09:16 AM ET

Because he’s a NAME and boy oh boy does da wingnuts luv them a NAME.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 03/02/15 at 10:42 AM ET

Posted by Garth on 03/02/15 at 09:40 AM ET

That’s true Garth, except for everything that I hear from TSN and NHL trade deadline show is that price for Phaneuf may not be as high. Supposedly there are 3 teams in the running for him, Wings being one of them and Weiss name is being mentioned.

Posted by George0211 on 03/02/15 at 10:42 AM ET

GianniDeBrizio's avatar

Long time follower - first time contributor. Having seen Petry play live 12-15 times over the last few years, he is nothing special. IMHO, somewhere along the lines of an Errorson, but certainly no better. Spector’s assessment of him being a 4-5 D is bang on. I was cringing when I was was reading the rumors of Petry to the D - the Habs can have him

Posted by GianniDeBrizio from Calgary via the D on 03/02/15 at 10:42 AM ET

I agree, Garth. But I don’t think either deal would be very good. I’d just be less displeased with the Petry one, at that price.

The Phaneuf thing, though….I just think it’s speculation. I don’t know if anyone has a legit source that is telling them Detroit is looking hard at him.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 10:49 AM ET

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 10:49 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I am not sure I agree with this.  E occasionally makes brilliant outlet passes, especially to streaking forwards in the center of the ice- almost always when the other team is changing, but when he tries it it’s very often tape to tape.  He just tries it very rarely.

In the entirety of the Lidstrom era, the Wings were great at outlet passes.  It was one of their most imitable traits; I still remember tons of “toss it up in the air so it lands at the opposing blue line and let the forwards skate under it” passes during that span that you just don’t see any more, ever.  I have to assume this is for two reasons; teams take the mid away to force passes up along the boards, and those stretch passes to forwards along the boards who them redirect it in deep from center ice without ever trying to take actual possession may be one of the least enjoyable plays in hockey to watch, and secondly; I think they’re being coached not to attempt long outlet passes.

Post-Lidstrom, during the start of the era where Quincey and Smith were playing meaningful minutes the team’s forwards started coming back a lot more to help get the puck out of the defensive zone.  It helped cover up the defensive deficiencies of the team during those Anaheim upset, Chicago near-upset playoff series because it made it easier to get the puck to a skilled forward and, if the defenseman turned it over anyway, it made it easier to recover because the forwards, especially the centers, were coming much farther back anyway.  It’s much less of a fast break, more of a “outlet to the blue line, pass once or twice more to get through the neutral zone before entering the offensive zone” type system.  I think that’s intended.  When you don’t trust most of your defenseman, or your goalie in the face of numerous odd-man rushes, you coach them to play risk adverse hockey.  I think that’s what we’re seeing from the Wings.  Perhaps when the DeKeyser/Marchenko/Oulette era is fully in place we’ll see it shift back but even then I’m uncertain.

Babcock bringing it up the other day was no mistake.  He’s agitating for higher skill level defensemen.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/02/15 at 10:53 AM ET

Petry was scratched 2 nights ago yes? I wasn’t huge on Petry, but I was huge on Franson, missed both of them. I’m thinking Kenny hopes we can snag mike green next year in UFA. And there’ s a good chance we will. Last year was a bad UFA year, players thought we weren’t going to do shhit. But… we are vying for the top spot in Atlantic now and I I think depending on how we do this year in the playoffs, if Babs re signs… I think players see our young talent, and see Datsyuk, Z, Nike, Tats…  and we DO get a good UFA this summer.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 03/02/15 at 11:01 AM ET

It’s not the price it would cost in assets, it’s the fact that the Leafs (from what I’ve read) don’t want to keep any of his salary.

The Phaneuf thing, though….I just think it’s speculation.

TSN Radio has mentioned about a dozen times in the last half hour that there are three teams aggressively pursuing Phaneuf and the Wings are one of them.  Some are saying Weiss and Kindl, but I can’t imagine Toronto wanting to take two shitty contracts in exchange for one, and I wouldn’t want Detroit to throw in a good prospect for it.

I also really with that, if Babcock likes Marchenko as he says he does, Marchenko hasn’t gotten a chance to play a bigger role.  Sure, we all like Marchenko, but if you’re going to just play him on the third pairing, he doesn’t really address the need that everyone has been talking about.

At this point though, I would be more pleased to stay the course with the D they have rather than making a huge deal for Phaneuf.  If Holland does want Phaneuf, I think it would make more sense to make that deal in the summer.  There could definitely be a learning curve to making such a big acquisition.

Posted by Garth on 03/02/15 at 11:05 AM ET

Petry was scratched 2 nights ago yes?

Yeah, but he was scratched because they didn’t want him to get hurt, which would not allow them to trade him.

and we DO get a good UFA this summer.

Who knows how much cap space there is for a UFA though, because of the potential “flat cap year”?

Posted by Garth on 03/02/15 at 11:07 AM ET

I have to agree with those that say Petry isn’t the real answer to the Wings defensive problems. They desperately need someone who can play top line minutes, at least in a pinch, anyone to get Ericsson off that pair. I don’t think Petry was that guy. He might make the overall defense better but only marginally, not enough to make them serious cup contenders (although I am reassessing my expectations based on that road trip).

The killer might be that extra conditional pick that Montreal is giving for Petry based on their playoff success. Montreal is more desperate for defense right now.

I’m not behind going after Phaneuf because I really don’t want that term. However, you have to admit it would make things more interesting and surely raise expectations. I hate to think about losing any of Tatar, Nyquist, Larkin, Mantha or a first round pick.

Posted by evileye on 03/02/15 at 11:09 AM ET

Good points, Garth. I really don’t want them to get Phaneuf, not because I think he’s bad or will hurt the team, but because 1) he doesn’t bump Ericsson from the top pair, 2) his contract, and 3) I don’t want to pony up any good prospects.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 11:35 AM ET

perfection's avatar

Babs has made it pretty clear that Marchenko is the righty he wanted. Petry is average. We have an abundance of average Dmen. Where Cole truly brings something to our team we don’t have, Petry would be about as lateral of a move there is.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/02/15 at 11:38 AM ET

I should clarify my last point. I don’t think Phaneuf is really good. I don’t think he hurts the team - he’s better than some defensemen we have - but he’s just not the right player and costs a LOT of money for a long time. And he’s not great.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 11:41 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Phaneuf for Weiss, Kindl and a pick and I’d do the deal.  Prefer Tronna eat some salary but that isn’t gonna happen.  Certainly would light up the comments section on KK if it did.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 03/02/15 at 11:42 AM ET

Petry would be about as lateral of a move there is.

That’s ridiculous.  The only lateral move they could make is one that wouldn’t be an improvement over Kindl/Smith, and if you think Petry isn’t better than Kindl/Smith then you’re out of your mind.

Although maybe just don’t understand the meaning of the word lateral.

Posted by Garth on 03/02/15 at 11:42 AM ET

Garth, not sure why you’re so down on Smith. I see a guy making strides. Not great yet, but a guy definitely getting better.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 11:44 AM ET

I see a guy making strides.
Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 10:44 AM ET

Yes backwards

Posted by George0211 on 03/02/15 at 11:46 AM ET

Meanwhile, Jim Matheson (the reporter out of Edmonton who kept saying 2nd + good defenseman prospect already developed for Petry) continues to have a meltdown on Twitter. Looks like he’s embarrassed about his swing and miss prediction.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 11:46 AM ET

perfection's avatar

Garth we’ve been debating this for weeks. You think improving the team means being better than one guy and I think improving the team means improving the team. Petry brings roughly the defensive skill of Marchenko with roughly the offensive skill of Kindl. We have several guys that are roughly his caliber. He isn’t actually all that better than Smith. He’s a little better maybe. His effect on our team despite being a slight upgrade on our bottom two guys would be negligible to the point that it’s as lateral move as it gets.

And then you respond to my point with some “well how do you know?” which of course could follow every comment posted here. It’s my opinion. It’s most people’s opinion in fact. I think our gap is just in how good you think Petry is. His stats and his play of course don’t really support your argument that he’s a game changer.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/02/15 at 11:50 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Ken Campbell says Toronto wants Smith for Phaneuf as part of deal.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/02/15 at 11:54 AM ET

Don’t get Phaneuf. Please. Please?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/02/15 at 12:03 PM ET

Garth we’ve been debating this for weeks.

We haven’t been debating anything.  I’ve made comments, you’ve pretended that I made comments that I didn’t actually make and then argued those comments.

See?  You think you know what I believe based on my explaining to you that “better than one player” isn’t lateral.

AGAIN.  Nobody said he’s a game changer.  He would improve the team, in my opinion.  THAT IS ALL I HAVE SAID.  That doesn’t mean I think he’s a game changer.  *#$%@& STOP putting god damn words in my mouth.

Posted by Garth on 03/02/15 at 12:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Detroit says now the Deon price is too high.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/02/15 at 12:16 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

Let this be a lesson to all of us: don’t trust the overblown prices hyped by the media. This was never, ever going to cost Ouellet, Marchenko or Sproul if the Wings had done it.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 03/02/15 at 04:31 PM ET