I’ve Never Played The Game (Except Pick-Up Games)

Yesterday I posted a blog titled Ranking The Starting Goalies where I listed the 8 starting goalies left in the playoffs beginning with, in my opinion, the best goalie.

KK members then followed suit by leaving their rankings in the comment section and all was good.

This morning I woke up to this email...

ha ha Paul .... were ya drinkin when you ranked the goalies ?? That was actually funny .... Guess that's why you post other peoples thoughts and don't actually write much ..... FYI ... Lundquist is a fraud. Quick is the man to have .... I have been playing the game at various levels for years, and know what is happening on the ice ....

Ah, the old I played the game ploy and what's with all the dots and the double question mark?

Criticizing an opinion is one thing as long as you back it up, but calling people out by using the 'I played the game card' as the reason tells me that person is wearing blinders and knows all.

If I considered myself as knowing everything about the game, I'd be running a site like nhlpredictions.com but I don't, so I leave it up to the experts to do so.

Now I know who this person is and would have preferred he left a comment in the post so all could see it and discuss if need be, but that was his decision, not mine.

In case you are wondering, this person did not strike a nerve with me but I wanted to bring some attention to it and who knows, maybe you will be reading his response in a blog at another site in the near future.

One more thing, it is Lundqvist, not Lundquist Mr. I play the game guy.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Bloggers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

Don’t feed the trolls, Paul.

I may or may not have agreed on your rankings, but this is your site. As far as I’m concerned, you could say that the sky is green with purple polka dots, if that’s what you see, and an email from an amateur meteorologist shouldn’t change that.

If this person had any stones, he’d have posted in the thread instead of sending you an email.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/15/13 at 05:59 AM ET

Ah, the old I played the game ploy

Ah, the argument for those who have nothing to back up their argument.

There are a couple people around here who will pull that out when losing an argument (nevermind that they have no idea if you’ve ever played the game, and nevermind that being a mediocre college or junior player doesn’t mean you have any idea what it’s like to be an NHL player), but most of the dopes at least have the conviction of their opinion to post it on the site instead of emailing it like a coward.

Never mind that the entire point of the post was to start a discussion…

Posted by Garth on 05/15/13 at 07:34 AM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Nice ending, hilarious. So is calling Lundy a “fraud.” What, is he a Swedish spy?

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/15/13 at 07:40 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

So silly. I’ve played and coached the game too. I don’t think that makes me an expert on players; it goes towards having a better understanding of the game, player development, and untilizing player skillsets in roles/situations.

Haters going to hate.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 05/15/13 at 07:43 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Casual observation:

Garth Snow, Joe Nieuwendyk, Jay Feaster, Kevin Lowe, and Don Waddell all had lengthy NHL careers.  Ken Holland didn’t.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/15/13 at 08:17 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Don’t forget Gretz on that list shanetx.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/15/13 at 08:19 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Gretzky played 1487 regular season games.

Ray Shero never played a game in the NHL.
Scotty Bowman never played a game in the NHL.

I could probably keep going but I think out point has been made at this point.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/15/13 at 08:35 AM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

I played the game, hate Lundqvist (and think he’s a fraud), and also co-edit a hockey blog, but I promise that wasn’t me!

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 05/15/13 at 08:48 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Furthermore, I think we all recognize the, ahem, unique writing style.  I know no one wants to be the guy to call him out so I guess I’ll bite the bullet:  Shame on you, George.  Shame!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/15/13 at 08:54 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Well, if it’s someone that played the game, me and Herm are cleared!
Not even if we wanted…  hahahaha

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 09:19 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I know some guys that have played some very high levels of hockey, some all the way to the pro’s.
Some of them are astute hockey minds, but there are more than a few that are dumb as rocks.

Jimmy Devellano never played the game and yet, how has his career played out?
Wayne Gretzky was the greatest ever. How did he do as a coach?

You don’t have to have played major junior, or pro, in order to have a valid opinion on a sport.

But most morons, like the one Paul pointed out, don’t like to hear that. It’s because they have a complex about being a dummy. They know they can’t win an intellectual debate so they pull out their ‘Ace’ whenever they get the chance, thinking it’ll win the argument.

Some of the dumbest hockey comments I’ve ever heard have come from people who were dynamite on the ice.
Has anyone ever heard Ott speak? Point. Set. Match.

Posted by Hank1974 on 05/15/13 at 10:05 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

eh, whatever.  People who do this are little bitches.  One thing to talk about your beer league, another to call someone stupid because you play in a beer league.

Did it sound good when Duncan Keith did it?

You do know the OPPOSITE of swagger is telling everyone about yourself and why you’re better, right?  Antithesis.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/13 at 10:17 AM ET