It’s Not A Rumor If You Make It Up

from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News,

The blogger Eklund tossed out a rumor this evening on Hockeybuzz.com that has a few Stars fans buzzing.

He contended that the Stars and Toronto Maple Leafs were discussing a trade that would send Brad Richards , Jamie Benn and Ondrej Roman to Toronto for Nazem Kadri, Clarke MacArthur, Kris Versteeg and a conditional pick….

It’s sort of silly to have to try to debunk every rumor that is out there, but I think that’s what we’ll try to do right now, so consider this one debunked.

People who believe anything Dwayne says or writes need to realize the man has one purpose in mind, more website hits.

All of his followers should ask him about his journalism degree from McGill University in Montreal.  I understand he is still telling people that he actually has one, although McGill has never offered a degree in journalism.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Dallas Stars, NHL Media, Dwayne, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Hank1974's avatar

Paul, PLEASE tell me you made that up? Dwayne is actually still telling people he has a journalism degree???
That’s hysterical!!!!

Thanks for a great Monday morning laugh!

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/24/11 at 11:30 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Absolute truth Hank.  Happened at SCF 2008 after I told him to quit the BS/

He then turns around and asks me if I want to join the professional bloggers association with him and I said if you are in the association, believe me, it is not professional.

He has lied, deceived and cheated so many times, you’d think it would get to him.  But at this point, I think he is starting to believe his own BS,  which is not good.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/11 at 11:58 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Hahahaha! That’s hilarious!

Good for you for speaking your mind.
I still can’t believe this guy is around or that there are people willing to give him money for the lies he makes up.

I believe there’s an article out there where a journalist/blogger followed all of his rumors for nearly 18 months. He had less than a 3% accuracy count over that span.
Ridiculous.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/24/11 at 12:03 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I haven’t been to Hockeybuzz in years primarily because of this conclusion (hit count above all else). I have no doubt that recent developments in Ottawa are going to make it easy for Eklund to churn out Sens rumours (he has never, ever, to my knowledge gotten a Sens rumour right - and that’s pretty astounding even if one only considers the law of averages), but I’ll continue to avoid him because I know he only churns out these rumours for one reason.

My hits will go to Paul and Lyle Richardson.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 01/24/11 at 12:05 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It’s Not A Rumor If You Make It Up

Best headline of this new year – and it’ll probably still be that months from now.

You’re thinking of http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/ Hank., And your accuracy percentage is right on the mark, except for 2008 when he only got 2.3% right. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/24/11 at 03:02 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

LOL! ! His subscribers should demand their money back if he’s under 5% accurate.
But then that would require his subscribers to have a brain. wink

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/24/11 at 03:13 PM ET

perfection's avatar

i have to say here Paul that your criticsims of Eklund (despite the fact that I agree with you) ring somewhat hollow and hypocritical when you indulge the similarly hit-seeking nonsense of The Puck Stops Here on your own website. At least Eklund’s intentions are entertainment, while this TPSH clown tends to write blogs intended to merely anger or incite. he posts unsubstantiated, irrational drivel with the intent of causing loads of fans to write post after post pointing out the absurdity of the post to which he never either responds or defends. again, at least Eklund will stand up for his own posts.

i’ve read countless complaints on these pages over the borderline-unethical blogging of TPSH and you always jump to his defense by basically saying that ‘he gets a lot of readers/hits, so therefore that implies the value of his blog… despite the fact that some folks don’t like it.’ well, guess what, Eklund gets WAY more hits than TPSH… so I guess by your standards, he too would be totally worth hosting on Kuklas Korner.

i’m not an Eklund fan, but until you get rid of your own deceitful blogger who seems only interested in getting hits, probably best not to call the kettle black.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/24/11 at 05:15 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

The difference perfection is that Eklund’s blog is full of lies. He lies about his credentials, sources and content all the while charging people for making up said lies.
While I don’t really like a few of the blogs that KK endorses, at least their work is opinion-based, and free.

If some of those bloggers started posting work about how Steve Yzerman likes to kick puppies without one shred of evidence, they’d be banned instantly.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/24/11 at 05:38 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

At least Eklund’s intentions are entertainment, while this TPSH clown tends to write blogs intended to merely anger or incite. he posts unsubstantiated, irrational drivel with the intent of causing loads of fans to write post after post pointing out the absurdity of the post…

Well, perfection, according to a response that Paul made when I jumped on The Link Goes To Himself for a load a crap he posted this past weekend, you won’t be bothered by the little tricycle-peddler in another week or so. The long-awaited “blocking” feature appears about ready for prime time.

Then we can all remove this guy’s nonsense from our KK Home page and not have to be “incited” by ridiculous posts like “Why [Player X] is the best third-line center who gets less than 18 minutes playing time and whose Corsi numbers are better than his +/- rating.” smile

And just for the record, I don’t thnk Paul ever defended Tricycle Boy because he gets hits. I think he simply said something like, “It’s his blog and KK doesn’t dictate what a blogger can write.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/24/11 at 06:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

OTC, thank you for TPSH’s new nickname.  As a matter of fact, when I called him an arrogant, self-centered, uninformed little boy who would not defend his claims by either ignoring or belaboring a minor point a critic made, Tricycle Boy deleted my post.  So I posted it again… and he deleted it again saying, “Next time I’ll edit your post and you won’t like it”.  I posted yet again, “Delete or edit my post… I don’t care… you’re only proving my point”.  You guessed it, he deleted it again and wrote to Paul who asked me to stop.  Because I respect Paul I posted no further. But I replied to Paul that, “However… I still think he’s a dick. wink

Posted by calquake on 01/24/11 at 08:00 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, Cal, that’s exactly what he did with one of my posts. He edited it to make it sound like I supported his position and then he reposted it under my name and with my avitar.

It was the most underhanded thing I’ve ever run across on the Internet – and Paul was none to pleased with it either. But he still deleted any post I made in his blog, and that’s his right.

Once he doesn’t appear on my KK Home page any more, I’ll be a lot happier – just as I’m sure a lot of Pens fans will be when they can block me. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/24/11 at 10:11 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Make that “...none too pleased…”

And just to be clear, when I said: “But he still deleted any post I made in his blog, and that’s his right,” the he I was referring to was Tricycle Boy, not Paul.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/24/11 at 10:15 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It is his right and it is my right to select his blog to be the first to avoid once that Ignore Button gets here.

Posted by calquake on 01/25/11 at 12:12 AM ET

Funny, if I replace TPSH with A2Y, most of what is said here stays the same.  Of course, I guess that’s different since it’s a fan blog run on opinion than an opinion blog that is based off statistics (regardless of what you think of TPSH, he does back up his points, however misguided and does debate back and forth with people.  It makes people think and actually try to argue with logic instead of LOOK AT THAT TROLL).  All websites look to get as many hits as possible.  Don’t kid yourself by thinking otherwise.  It’s how they try to achieve those hits that’s the problem.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 01/25/11 at 12:59 AM ET

Paul's avatar

perfection, I am not going to allow you to put words into my mouth.  I have never said TPSH gets a lot of hits, what I have said is he has his followers.

TPSH has not been deceitful, he expresses his views and handles the comments in his blog the way he chooses.

Right or wrong, it is the way he has decided to do so.

Dwayne, on the other hand, flat out has done damage to bloggers across the hockey board, has lied to people within the business, then will turn around to the next person and lie some more.

Maybe you will get a better picture of what he as done in the past by clicking his name in the tag.

Things like using multiple user names to comment on one post, which basically created a story about himself within the post.

How about lying during the lockout, saying he was at Toronto Hotel where the negotiations were going on but had to leave to get some dinner.

You want more, just click.

On the other hand, all bloggers here at KK know the game, something Dwayne does not know and apparently he has you fooled too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/11 at 01:09 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Ah, yes, the time-honored technique of sock-puppetry. Found on many blogs and deplored by all when the puppeteer is outed.

I don’t see any problem with TPSH. His stuff is rarely interesting to me, so I read it seldom, but he’s never lied about his credentials, he clearly (whatever you think about his conclusions) puts some effort into looking at the numbers, and sometimes he does raise interesting points. Arguing about if the numbers are appropriate reflections of what actually happens in the game is common with every stats-based article, whether TPSH, other blogs, or MSM. It extends across all sports, too.

Personally, I have a difficult enough time keeping up with the bloggers I like and enjoy. If I don’t enjoy reading, I don’t waste time finishing the post or commenting on it, either.

Everyone has different tastes. I just read what I like and let others do the same - as long as someone doesn’t flat-out lie and con money from people, I don’t worry about them.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 01/25/11 at 10:26 AM ET