It’s Miller vs. Media After Loss

Ryan Miller was in a cranky mood after Buffalo’s 7-6 overtime loss to the New York Islanders Sunday, and what followed was a verbal confrontation in the Buffalo dressing room between the franchise netminder and two reporters from the Buffalo News, John Vogl and Jerry Sullivan.

Vogl: Are you angry at the loss, what are you angry about?

Miller: I’m just frustrated, and to have you, I don’t understand where that line of questioning was going.

Sully: Maybe you’re starting to doubt yourself, maybe that’s what he’s getting at.

Miller: Maybe you should stop sticking up for him and let him talk.

The Sabres (Media Relations Coordinator) Chris Bandura then tried to end it.

Miller: No, I’ll hang in here and see where they’re going with this one.

Vogl: Are you more mad at the loss or more mad that you have to talk?

Miller: I’m just frustrated, I don’t get that one. Ask about the game.

Vogl: That was about the game.

Miller: I don’t know what you’re going with here John. I have no idea, I really don’t.

Click here for the conversation in its entirety (an interesting first-hand account from a radio reporter), and here for audio of the confrontation and Vogl’s blog post in response.

See below for a posting from Paul with Sullivan’s scathing article following the incident.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Buffalo Sabres, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: buffalo+sabres, ryan+miller

Comments

Hatchet job by Vogl. Leading questions, etc. Goaltender is a job that depends on the people in front of him. This year, Buffalo’s number 2 was Pittsburgh’s #6 last year.

Posted by StevieSteve on 02/14/11 at 05:35 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

2 Press guys ganging up on a guy who just played his guts out…

Too bad it is politically not correct to punch them out, or they would have got what they deserved.

Posted by w2j2 on 02/14/11 at 08:40 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Has Miller had a break at all this year? I can’t recall a game off the top of my head where his backup played at all.

One goalie can’t carry a team on his back for an entire season. He’ll get tired and worn down, and if no one helps him out he can’t win every game by 1-0 shutout. Ryan Miller needs a rest more than anything else.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 02/14/11 at 08:46 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by StevieSteve on 02/14/11 at 03:35 AM ET

Bang-on, 100%  Both these dolts miss that Ryan has too much class to throw his defense under the bus—or his GM for doing such a poor job of building it.

Have fun running one of the best goalies in the game out out of town though…

Posted by Primis on 02/14/11 at 09:15 AM ET

DigitalGypsy66's avatar

Baroque: I think I read somewhere that Miller has played 30 some games in a row.

It’s time for a regime change up in Buffalo - Regier and Ruff need to go.  This team needs to spend some money to fill that lineup.

Posted by DigitalGypsy66 on 02/14/11 at 11:03 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Ruff isn’t the problem. They paid heavily for Miller and lack high skill forwards (Vanek is great, but streaky. They do have SOME talent up front). Lalime is a great teammate and a poor goalie. Miller needs a good backup.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/14/11 at 11:36 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

MIller needs to come home to Detroit.

Posted by w2j2 on 02/14/11 at 12:16 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

As long as he leaves his $6million price tag in Buffalo, that would be great!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/14/11 at 01:20 PM ET