It’s Not A Lock That The NHL Will Participate In Sochi

from Chris Johnston of Sportsnet,

If hockey’s powerbrokers were simply trying to determine whether it was best for the top players in the sport to participate in the Sochi Olympics next year then there would be no reason for everyone to descend on Manhattan for two days of potentially contentious meetings.

The answer to that question is as obvious it always has been to virtually every fan and player of the game. Yes, the NHLers should be there. It is what is right for the sport of hockey – if not also the business of hockey.

And you can be sure that everyone sitting in the boardroom above the Avenue of the Americas on Thursday and Friday is already aware of that fact. They have been for quite some time.

However, don’t for a second believe that the NHL’s participation in a fifth straight Olympic Games is as much a certainty as we’ve all thought. On the eve of the meetings, two sources who view the issue from different vantage points told Sportsnet.ca that they could envision a scenario in which a deal isn’t reached.

read on

Filed in: NHL Talk, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I assume that I am in the minority but I prefer that the NHL skip the Olympics. I would rather have the option to watch several NHL games every night as opposed to tape delayed Olympic hockey games to which I will already know the result.  And it will help me completely avoid the Olympic coverage.

Posted by Jack McFly on 02/14/13 at 12:43 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I agree with Jack McFly, but that might be only because there is no Braazilian Hockey team!

I mean, for someone that doesnt have a country to root for, there really is no point on this whole thing…

I guess its a nice change with all the skilled players, and less idiots skating around trying to hurt someone, but aside from that, it’s not enough, when you lose the team you root for in the mix

Posted by Zqto on 02/14/13 at 12:55 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Jack McFly on 02/14/13 at 11:43 AM ET

I’m with him ^^^^^

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/14/13 at 01:00 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Hockey in the Olympics is interesting enough, but it comes off more like a competitive All Star Game tournament than the actual team sport which I find infinitely more interesting.

Posted by SK77 on 02/14/13 at 01:16 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Pierre “DC” Maguire said quite clearly on tv that the NHL players would almost certainly play in the olympics. He was so sure he did not even end the statement with a “Right, Eddie?”
That’s certainty!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/14/13 at 02:19 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I guess I’m in the minority but I think the skill level is extremely high AND competative.  Nothing NOTHING like the ASG.

I also want America to kick ass and am willing to forego NHL hockey for a chance at world domination.

Everyone should be given the right to represent their homeland.  Just the right thing to do.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/14/13 at 02:48 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’ll back you on that HTO. I also like Olympic hockey - possibly even more than the NHL. I like the bigger ice surface. I like the temporary aspects of the teams that look like pickup games among the greatest players in the world. I don’t like the nationalistic stuff too much, but I’m probably in the minority there.

It always amazes me how well those teams gel in such a short period of time, which makes me even more frustrated that this far into the season so many NHL teams can’t seem to find their asses with both hands.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/14/13 at 03:04 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I did a poor job of saying what I meant there. I think the Olympics has skill level through the roof and is amazingly competitive – it’s almost like if the NHL only had 8 teams and there was no regular season.

The one thing that I think sometimes the Olympics has trouble with though is that pickup aspect – I prefer the complete team aspect that really elevates professional hockey and leads to even better play.

If anything it’d be awesome if hockey was moved back to the Summer Olympics so teams would have at least a month to practice together and really, really gel. Then we’d all get to see what would easily be some of the best hockey in the world AND it wouldn’t cut into the NHL season.

Posted by SK77 on 02/14/13 at 03:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m with you there SK, would much rather have Hockey back in the summer Olympics as well.  Think the caliber of play would be better and it’d def stand out.  As good as Phelps was, he made people following SWIMMING.  Think there’s a market for high-speed high-impact events for the summer Olympics.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/14/13 at 08:25 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/14/13 at 01:48 PM ET

Right you are. It is an honor, and, a privilege to represent your Country.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!