It’s About To Get Hectic

from Justin Bourne of Sportsnet,

Imagine being told you’re not allowed to have sugar anymore, for some indefinite period. At first you’d miss certain treats. Some food would taste more bland than you’d prefer, but you’d get used to it. In time it would become normal, even if you preferred it didn’t.

To some extent that’s been all of us with hockey. The deprivation hasn’t been straight-up “You can’t have food at all” bad — just more like something we regularly enjoyed was taken away. We noticed it a lot initially, and we wondered what we could even consume in its absence. But we eventually settled on halfway-decent substitutes and found a way to move on.

Now consider August of 2020, when all of us are now going to be asked to snort Fun-Dips through Pixie Stix from noon ’til night, day upon day. The NHL is serving cookie dough for lunch.

Have you seen the planned schedule for the NHL’s return to play? We’ve been dying for even just a single sweet taste of hockey — now we’re about to be shoved in the chocolate river at Willy Wonka’s Factory like Augustus Gloop.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

MurrayChadwick's avatar

MUTHA F$%&# YEAH!!!!!

<big> GIVE ME HOCKEY, LOTS AND LOTS OF HOCKEY!!! </big>

The only thing on TV and certainly the only thing that is “live” is politics and news, but I repeat myself, and I can’t not take anymore of it.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/09/20 at 03:57 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I watched WWE for the first time in my life.  I got desperate.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/09/20 at 05:14 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

I’ll def tune in, bkz it’s playoff hockey, and it’ll be interesting to see how it goes in empty arenas. Can’t see watching the wall-to-wall coverage, tho it might turn out that way.
Also, Jelle’s Marble Runs will only tide one over for so long.

Posted by Steeb on 07/09/20 at 05:40 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I too, am ready.

But…with reservations; I’ve had Covid. I do not wish it on my worst enemy (save one asshat but that’s a story for another day).

I hope the players somehow can avoid it…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/09/20 at 10:07 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Mr fluffy, sorry to hear that but happy to see you’re doing alright (I assume)!

Posted by TreKronor on 07/09/20 at 11:27 PM ET

Are they still planning to play “exhibition” games before the play-in and round-robin action? They might as well televise those too.

The round-robin games are bound to be strange. Teams will want to get the rust off and being playing well but not at the expense of injuries. It’s pretty doubtful the seedings will make a large difference.

This is going to be like Olympics in that I’m going to be watching a lot of hockey in any given day with a lot of it from work. I better be able to stream coverage.

Posted by evileye on 07/10/20 at 10:10 AM ET

I was so desperate for live content I was watching cornhole on ESPN. So I can’t wait for a real sport.

Posted by JL72 on 07/10/20 at 08:11 PM ET