It Makes No Sense

This Tuesday, I tuned into the Winnipeg/Montreal game on Center Ice via DirecTV and was pleasantly surprised to find the game, broadcast by TSN, being shown in glorious HD.

Yesterday, another TSN game, Montreal/Ottawa, no HD.

I still can't understand why some games are in HD and some are not. Confused, yes, upset, yes, explanation, top-secret information, no one wants to talk.

If you missed last week's mini-rant on this topic, you can review it here and make sure to read the comments. Other carriers have even bigger problems.

Another note about viewing habits- Up until a few days ago, US hockey fans when visiting Sportsnet.ca, were able to view and if they wished, embed most of the hockey videos from their site.

Now, nada, we cannot even view the videos, instead we see This video you are trying to watch cannot be viewed from your current country or location.

What?  Are we not worthy of viewing the videos, not Canadian enough, what is it?  My top of the head reaction to this is it is not the fault of Sportsnet, you can figure out the rest.

One league, the NHL, but so many different quirks when it comes to broadcasting and watching videos. When will this all stop and we as fans, can get what we want?

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Zaze's avatar

As far as the sportsnet.ca content, I pay about 60 a year for a VPN service (http://www.hidemyass.com) that allows me to change my online identity to almost any country I would want.  They have easy to use software for windows and mac (and smartphone) that lets you pick what country you would like to appear that you’re using the internet from.  While I didn’t buy it for regionalized content (I bought it to anonymize my internet usage), it really helps when I need my .ca streaming video fixes.

Posted by Zaze on 01/31/13 at 12:22 PM ET

akus's avatar

from the last rant:

don’t think I’ve ever seen a Canadian home feed in HD on Center Ice.

Posted by awould on 01/24/13 at 01:40 PM ET

make that two of us.

.But i have listened to a Canadians game in French.

And i have never, ever seen a Flyers home game on DTV/CI.

Sportsnet? I stopped trying.

Posted by akus on 01/31/13 at 12:48 PM ET

Paul From Cali's avatar

I’ve been a center ice customer on direct tv for years.  I’ve never seen a broadcast by a Canadian network in he on center ice.  Including the games I’ve seen this season.

Posted by Paul From Cali on 01/31/13 at 03:17 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Agreed, the licensing issues in play here are a mess.  For someone who throws over a hundred bucks at a cable company a month, I think I deserve better.  Here’s hoping Google and MSFT get into the pay-per-channel model.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 01/31/13 at 11:18 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I was a CI customer for two years, and my provider at that time (Cablevision) did not even make space for one HD channel for the CI package. With NBCSN games, NHLN games, and for those of us in the Detroit area, access to CBCHD games, there’s plenty of HD hockey available (at least for my tastes) most nights.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/01/13 at 08:37 AM ET