It Appears Johan Franzen Will Not Be Going To Sochi

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: johan+franzen, team+sweden

Comments

Not surprising.  Looks like Sheahan is the heir apparent to the big scoring power forward the Wings have coveted for a long time.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/30/14 at 03:02 PM ET

Alan's avatar

That had to have been a very hard decision for Franzen to come to. On the other side of things, that gives him 3+ additional weeks to recover.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/30/14 at 03:18 PM ET

I just want to come back from my freaking cruise, watch the Olympics, and have every one of our G-damn players on ice for practice, drills etc… come Feb 24th. but…. i’m sure someone will get injured in the Olympics..

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/30/14 at 03:22 PM ET

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/30/14 at 02:22 PM ET

I’m going on a cruise as well from the 8th to 15th, hoping to come back to good news!

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 01/30/14 at 03:45 PM ET

think about it this way… after Olympic beak, we may be out of playoff a few points, may be in it.. but either way, you get your players back and you have 1 month to get into gear before playoffs.. one month of solid hockey. I feel like the wings have been so injured and coached poorly that not even one solid month of hockey could really put this team back on track.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/30/14 at 04:04 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m not convinced post-Olympics will be any different than pre-Olympics.  There’s no real reason to believe, beyond just hope, that it will be.

Posted by Primis on 01/30/14 at 04:16 PM ET

There’s no real reason to believe, beyond just hope, that it will be.

There’s also no reason to believe it won’t.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/14 at 04:17 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Not a surprise at all.

The concussion protocol takes a week, so he was symptom-free for one week before playing that one game and woke up the next day with symptoms. It took him a full month to get those 7-days symptom-free.

Realistically, he may not be ready to return until the start of next year. It’s possible that this injury causes him to retire.

Best of luck, Johan. Get well.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/30/14 at 04:18 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I wouldn’t be surprised is Franzen’s done for the season.

Also, Datsyuk’s missed a month and he’s still not able to skate. That’s after not sustaining any major discernible injury in his last game. That tells me there’s been something going on all year, and they’re waiting to find out if he needs surgery or not.

My bunion is telling me we’re about to get some very bad news on the Datsyuk front.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/30/14 at 04:40 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Well, if that happens we can’t be too angry. After all, we’ve been very lucky so far on the injury front.

Yes, I have been drinking since Tuesday.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/30/14 at 04:47 PM ET

Oh boy, here comes the pumped up expectations train again.  Woo woo.

Sheahan scored 20 goals in 114 CCHA games, then 25 in 107 AHL games, and because he’s scored three in 13 NHL games he’s now a big scoring power forward.

Holy bleep.  I feel bad for all these guys in two or three years.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/30/14 at 04:52 PM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/30/14 at 03:52 PM ET

Thank Christ there’s nobody around here who is waiting to pounce on every single off-hand comment made on KK.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/14 at 05:14 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/30/14 at 03:52 PM ET

A pace of 3 for 13 puts him at 19 goals on a season. I’d be more than ok with that for his first season. Also, he’d be on pace to get 50 pts, which isn’t bad either.

Yeah yea ye… 13 games is not a reliable sample size. But it’s what we got. And his stats in the lesser leagues also equal about 20 goals in a 82 games. Seems like he’s consistent at least.

To quote a previous comment….
There’s also no reason to believe it won’t.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/14 at 03:17 PM ET

... unless you’re just a contrarian by nature I guess.

Posted by awould on 01/30/14 at 05:24 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/30/14 at 03:52 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/30/14 at 04:14 PM ET

Well it was a pretty bold comment ... “Sheahan is the heir apparent to the big scoring power forward the Wings have coveted for a long time” ... no?

Posted by SK77 on 01/30/14 at 05:27 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by some kid on 01/30/14 at 04:27 PM ET

I kind of took that statement to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. But Sheahan is playing very well for a rookie so it’s not like it’s the most ridiculous thing to contemplate. If he can yield 50 pts per season consistently, that’s better than Franzen.

Posted by awould on 01/30/14 at 05:58 PM ET

It was a ridiculously bold comment, and HD will use that single comment over and over to claim the majority of this board agreed with it, even though I’d assume (since most of you seem to be reasonable hockey minds) that the vast majority don’t agree with that all-too-rosy projection.

Posted by jkm2011 on 01/30/14 at 06:02 PM ET

Well there you go, just when I gave credit to the board.  Sheesh.

BTW, he actually scored 16.7 goals per 82 in the CCHA and AHL combined.  That’s not really that close to translating to 20 in the NHL.

Posted by jkm2011 on 01/30/14 at 06:07 PM ET

Jesus people. It was sarcastic.  It was not meant as a hopeful prediction.

Posted by teldar on 01/30/14 at 06:08 PM ET

awould's avatar

that the vast majority don’t agree with that all-too-rosy projection.

Posted by jkm2011 on 01/30/14 at 05:02 PM ET

I don’t agree with it because it is way too early to say. But I don’t think it’s out of the question, and since it feels like something good happening in this failing season, then I’ll take it.

Posted by awould on 01/30/14 at 06:09 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/30/14 at 03:40 PM ET

If we’re gonna get bad news on Datsyuk, let the record show that absolutely none of us will be surprised; however, all of us will be dismayed.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/30/14 at 06:15 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d still call Mantha the heir apparent, but he’s still more than a year away from getting that taste.  Lots can change in that time.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/30/14 at 06:18 PM ET

So the Sheahan comment - yes, I think it is ridiculous to think that because he’s scored 3 goals in 13 games, that he now projects out to be a big, scoring forward. That’s not a sample size. But I will say a couple things as food for thought. First, the eyeball test suggests that he’s been a very strong forward for the Red Wings and has been dangerous offensively, which is reflected by his strong scoring numbers (5 assists to go with the goals).

Second, this conversation started about Franzen. When we compare the history of Riley Sheahan, his pace at the NCAA/AHL level is 16.7 goals/82 games. That’s comparable to Franzen’s track record before 2008. Here are Franzen’s stats pre-2007-2008:

NHL:
2005-2006: 80 games - 12 goals - 4 assists
2006-2007: 69 games - 10 goals - 20 assists

SHL:
2001-2002: 36 games - 2 goals - 6 assists
2002-2003: 37 games - 2 goals - 4 assists
2003-2004: 49 games - 12 goals - 18 assists
2004-2005: 43 games - 7 goals - 7 assists

Anyways, I was not expecting Franzen to ever develop as a scorer and I don’t believe the Wings were either. He was drafted more as a 2-way guy who was big and a good skater for his size. That was the scouting report. It is similar to what Sheahan is supposed to be - bigger center, 2-way, skates well for his size.

Anyways, while I need to see much more from Sheahan (at least 1-2 full seasons in an established role), I do think he has been very dangerous and looked better than I ever expected.

To anyone who might misinterpret this, let me be clear: I have not formed any opinion on Sheahan yet based on 13 games. I’ve liked what I’ve seen but need to see a lot more to form an opinion. The information provided in this post is food for thought and not intended to be the basis of an argument that Sheahan is the next Franzen.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/30/14 at 06:20 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Fabian Brunnstrom scored 3 goals his first game.  It meant exactly nothing toward the rest of his career, and it took Sheahan 15 more games to get there.  Calm down everyone.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/30/14 at 09:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

There’s also no reason to believe it won’t.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/14 at 03:17 PM ET

The NHL standings say there are 53 reasons to believe it won’t.

Posted by Primis on 01/30/14 at 10:15 PM ET

awould's avatar

I find it informative that in a post about Franzen missing the olympics, the conversation immediately steers to Sheahan, or whoever might replace Franzen anyways. Says a lot about what people think of him.

Posted by awould on 01/30/14 at 10:34 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

That’s a bit of a flawed interpretation.  If someone said Al the giant octopus was the replacement, the discussion would be about him instead.  It’s more a commentary on how absurd most fans thing the Sheahan-as-a-Mule-replacement idea is than anything else.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/30/14 at 11:20 PM ET

The NHL standings say there are 53 reasons to believe it won’t.

Since when do the standing suggest anything about the future?  The standings reflect only the past.  The standings suggest nothing about whether or not the wings will get healthy or how hey will play if/when they do get healthy.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/14 at 11:43 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

It’s sad that he can’t play for team Sweden, but I think his health is far more important then to play in the Olympics..Get well Johan.F.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/31/14 at 01:40 AM ET

... unless you’re just a contrarian by nature I guess.

I’m a realist by nature, which very often puts my opinion in opposition to “unrealists” who call guys who’ve never scored more than 16 goals in any season past pee wee a ‘big scoring power forward the Wings have coveted for a long time.’

I don’t pounce on every comment… just the exceptionally stupid ones.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen but need to see a lot more to form an opinion.

See?  That’s an example of a rational comment.  If people want to draw a comparable for Sheahan it’s not Franzen… it’s Cleary.  Sheahan’s far more likely to be an 8-11 forward that plays a little in all three phases and produces decently than he is to be a 30+ goal per 82 game forward.

-eyeroll-

Like I’d have to go farther than I could throw a piano to find an example of something wildly over-positive or wildly over-negative people here say about the team that finds a fairly substantial amount of support, to have to count on something stupid one poster said about one player.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/31/14 at 07:43 AM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/31/14 at 06:43 AM ET

It’s wonderful to see a realist with absolutely no self awareness.

Posted by Garth on 01/31/14 at 11:26 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m very smart and you’re all very dumb, unless one of you is not dumb in which case its your fault being lumped in with all these dummies for you willfully being here.

Please everybody, let’s talk about me some more.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/31/14 at 11:34 AM ET

Paul's avatar

To all- Take a chill pill if needed.

Please keep this on topic.

Thanks.