Is Today The Day?

First off, Happy Independence Day to all in the US and elsewhere who call the United States home.

Next, two well respected hockey people have some news for us.

added 8:46am, via ESPN,

Prized free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter are expected to decide their futures Wednesday, sources told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+suter, zach+parise

Comments

Is today the day?

Who cares!

Just kidding.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 07/04/12 at 10:54 AM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I’ve got a bad, bad Minny feeling.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/04/12 at 10:55 AM ET

Funny how when this started I thought the wild had the least chance.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 07/04/12 at 11:03 AM ET

Stop dreaming Wing fans, we are getting both players and you know it. The Wild is going to kick your a**

Remember this post

Posted by stefane from MINN on 07/04/12 at 11:06 AM ET

The timing that both are announcing today plus the fact Parise confirmed he has been talking to Surer makes me think they are going to the same team.  And I think that team is gonna be Minnesota. Good for them

Posted by tbassett on 07/04/12 at 11:08 AM ET

Minnesota will get nothing and like it.  And you have no right to be disappointed because you had no right to expect to get anything.

Posted by Garth on 07/04/12 at 11:08 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Can’t believe both would banish themselves to a decade of futility in Minne.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/04/12 at 11:15 AM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Hey, if they both want to play for MIN, more power to them. We’ll see how they feel about this decision after 4-5 years of miserable failure. Maybe they’ll retire to Vermont together.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/04/12 at 11:27 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/04/12 at 11:33 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

“Weber Signing” is gonna be next yr. Ooofff

Maybe. It could be, assuming Suter goes elsewhere (hopefully to Detroit today), that Nashville will be of a different mind, knowing that Weber is almost certainly gone (as opposed to most likely gone).

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/04/12 at 12:04 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

.    I’m good with them going to Minn. Better than all the other alternatives, besides the Wings of course. The bullshit drama that this whole mess has created makes me think how insane the “Weber Signing” is gonna be next yr. Ooofff….

Agreed.  Yesterday I commented that I hope Weber is traded at the deadline and extended, just to avoid the circus.  Seems like Nashville should learn if Suter leaves, just like Hamhuis did.  The players have no faith in ownership and the town’s not a draw.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/04/12 at 12:19 PM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/04/12 at 10:04 AM ET

I have to wonder, especially if Suter leaves, if Nashville would even consider signing Weber to a short contract or if they would trade his rights…

Posted by Garth on 07/04/12 at 12:22 PM ET

Moq's avatar

I’m actually starting to root for Suter and Parise to Minnesota even though either player would look really good in a Penguins jersey.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/04/12 at 12:28 PM ET

Moq's avatar

If that happens, Shero should use his Nashville connections to discuss Weber.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/04/12 at 12:31 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

if they both go to the Wild it will be one of the most astounding decisions I’ve seen an athlete make. why would they want to languish in Minnesota for a decade? even the two of them together aren’t good enough to make that team a contender.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/04/12 at 12:32 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Would it be good for hockey?  Even if they both go to Minne and miss the playoffs for several years (they were 12 points short this year), will,it be good for the league?  I’m not sure.

All that aside, I think goingnto Minne would be, for both, accepting that they are willing to start over. Are they willing to do that at 27.  Especially Parise, who just got very close. I have my doubts.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/04/12 at 12:39 PM ET

wouldn’t this be like having gaborik and brent burns all over again? They didn’t win anything then why would they win anything now?

Posted by Adam from Detroit on 07/04/12 at 12:40 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Not a bad analogy really although Suter and Parise are a little better players.  Two star players can energize a team but not carry them all the way to a Cup.

Posted by calquake on 07/04/12 at 12:51 PM ET

statistically compare the players and you could argue the other way. The only difference is suter and parise are character guys. But you could argue if you put brent burns who is 27 alongside webber for 7 years maybe he is even better.

Posted by Adam from Detroit on 07/04/12 at 12:53 PM ET

Moq's avatar

I think the current supporting cast is better than during the Burns/Gaborik era. They would be a good playoff candidate with Suter/Parise, not a lock. There are a few holes, especially defensively, but something to build on.

Of course, if you love “elite” teams and loathe parity, then it would be a poor decision by both.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/04/12 at 01:46 PM ET