Is There A Power Struggle In Chicago?

from Adam L. Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times,

“That’s something I want to put to bed right from the outset,” Quenneville said. “I love everything about our situation here in Chicago.”

But that doesn’t mean there won’t be more discontent, especially if Quenneville doesn’t get the final say in who replaces Haviland. If director of player development Barry Smith is thrust upon Quenneville again, more problems might arise.

With Quenneville’s reputation and résumé, management’s decision to send in Smith, a trusted assistant of senior adviser Scotty Bowman when he coached, to help the power play during the season was frowned upon by many around the league.

Sources also said Quenneville and Smith argued before the end of the regular season, prompting Smith to stop assisting before the playoffs. The front office, though, still wanted Smith around.

“I feel like it’s going to be my decision,” Quenneville said. “I haven’t put [Smith] on my list. I don’t have a list drawn up here at all right now. I don’t even want to speculate on any list. That process, I want to keep confidential.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Vladimir16's avatar

So that’s where Barry Smith is. Hey Babcock, fire Blashill and hire Smith! Immediately!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/09/12 at 03:38 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Hey Babcock, fire Blashill and hire Smith! Immediately!

I approve this comment.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 05/09/12 at 04:11 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Hey Babcock, fire Blashill and hire Smith! Immediately!

Heck, fire both Blashill and Peters – and then hire Smith. Barry alone could do a better job than those two combined.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/09/12 at 04:58 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Heh…would it be wrong to think Smith is a better coach than Q?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/09/12 at 05:35 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Heh…would it be wrong to think Smith is a better coach than Q?
Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/09/12 at 03:35 PM ET

Nope. I’d much rather have Smith than The Grumpy Stache.
I wish the Wings would have promoted Smith over Lewis when Bowman retired. I think Smith is old school hardass though and Holland was worried about that so he picked everybody’s buddy Lewis. That didn’t fare so well now did it, boys and girls?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/09/12 at 05:47 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

I’d like to have Barry back with the Wings.

Wonder if Montreal will come calling for him?

Posted by TheFreak on 05/09/12 at 06:29 PM ET