Is Semin A Coach Killer?

from Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington,

The agent for Alex Semin is not a happy man.

After hearing his client called “a coach killer” and “a complete loser,” Mark Gandler had some harsh words for TSN analysts Pierre McGuire and Marc Crawford on Sunday, saying their comments could get in the way of contract talks with NHL teams interested in signing Semin as an unrestricted free agent.

“I can tell you that’s the worst I’ve ever heard an analyst say about any player,” Gandler told CSNWashington.com. “What bothered me was that the host [James Duthie] did not step in.”

During TSN’s broadcast, McGuire accused Semin of being a bad teammate, adding, “he’s the ultimate coach killer, that’s what he is.”

continued and you can watch the TSN segment below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alexander+semin

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Vladimir16's avatar

Pierre McGuire saying something stupid? Marc Crawford being a complete tool? Shocking!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/02/12 at 12:40 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I was watching this on NHLN and was pretty shocked to hear the way they were talking about Semin. I know he has a “reputation” but this seemed a bit harsh and really felt like a group of good ol’ Canadian hockey boys expressing their xenophobia more than actual analysis.

For instance, nobody considered that maybe Semin has been coached by a group of weak leaders, and the coaches have really killed themselves by being unable to set boundaries and get the most out of their player.

Let’s just use rationale for a second. Given that a team full of talent has repeatedly underachieved, is it more likely they’ve had weak leadership behind the bench, or that one player has single-handedly disrupted the entire operation year after year, and management has been too dense to notice this and attempt to dump the guy?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/02/12 at 12:45 PM ET

I saw that crap live, and it just made me want for Semin to get a good year and rub it in their faces
And I didnt even care about Semin until then

Not sure why anyone is surprised shit comes out of idiots mouths, specially when they get together
Douches will be douches, I guess

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/02/12 at 12:49 PM ET

I know he has a “reputation” but this seemed a bit harsh and really felt like a group of good ol’ Canadian/American hockey boys expressing their xenophobia more than actual analysis.

Fixed that for you.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/12 at 12:49 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I’m no fan of Semin, but you can be sure if he was from Mississauga, Ontario he would be “an enigma who just needs a fresh start with a new team” or “a talented kid who has been hamstrung by system/coaching issues”.

I was watching this live as well, and while I do think pundits should be allowed to express their honest opinion about players, they would never in a million years say anything close to this harsh about a North American.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/02/12 at 12:58 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

I wish they would stop bad mouthing semin.

And I’ll agree, if semin was from canada they would bath in his glory.

However, it does make you wonder why they said the things they said. Do they have information about semin that we don’t?

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/02/12 at 01:01 PM ET

perfection's avatar

wait… since when do GM’s form their opinions about players based on what the media thinks?

I’d think they’d all be far too busy on July 1st to be watching the TSN analysis anyway.

maybe the contract negotiations aren’t going to well because he IS kind of a loser

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/02/12 at 01:06 PM ET

perfection's avatar

*that’s “aren’t going TOO well”

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/02/12 at 01:07 PM ET

Just watched the clip, and it seemed that Marc Crawford was the harshest of them all.  In fact, that was much harsher than the article snippet even made it seem.  I think Crawford made many worse statements than McGuire’s “coach killer” statement: he flat out said he has “no character” as a person, and that he’s a “complete loser”, and that he “belongs on the island of misfit toys”.  Sheesh.

Another thing I noticed was that it seemed Ray Ferraro wasn’t too happy with the language (I’m just going by his expressions and his carefully worded responses here).  Ray seemed to be trying to get Crawford to stop his outright bashing of Semin, to get him to admit there are scenarios where Semin could flourish, but it didn’t really work.  He did say he gives you a good “one shot, but not a whole lot else”, which is a much better way to say that he doesn’t currently have much more than the goal-scoring prowess, but at least he’s trying to say it with tact in a room full of untactful personalities.  I could be misreading that, however.

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 07/02/12 at 01:10 PM ET

I actually think Semin saved the coaching staff’s jobs a couple of times during the 2010-2011 season.  Also, it would have been interesting to see how Semin would have performed this year under Oates, playing with a full time NHL center, and possibly if he was again used on the penalty kill.  Anyway, we’ll never know.  I’d be willing to bet he scores 30-40 with his new team and becomes a Cap killer if he’s in the East.

Posted by Greg on 07/02/12 at 01:14 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Wait a minute, when the hell did we start giving a shit what Pierre McGuire has to say?

If any GM is basing his contract decisions on the word of that douche nozzel, he probably won’t be a GM for much longer.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/02/12 at 01:17 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

I was watching live as well. In addition to the sentiments above, I thought Crawford was especially harsh—not just about Semin—for a guy who’s been rumored to be looking for a new coaching gig.

Later, I came across http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/marc_crawford_to_coach_zurich_zsc_lions/ and t,he “light bulb” went on. Maybe Crawford felt he could cut loose because he knew he’s booked on a flight to Zurich. If and when he ever makes it back to the NHL, his comments will be long forgotten.

RE: Pierre, maybe we can hope he’s got similar news up his sleeve and will soon be announced as the new GM/coach/zamboni driver for a team in North Korea.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 07/02/12 at 01:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Is Semin A Coach Killer?

Erm…I thought it was the creation of life.

Oh crap…wrong website.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/02/12 at 01:23 PM ET

Love Ray Ferraro, he has a one time shot and nothing else. Crawford island of misfit toys, McGuire, not a good team mate.

And Gandler is the worst agent in hockey.

Posted by bri on 07/02/12 at 01:27 PM ET

I like Semin. There is more reward then risk IMO. As long as the cap figure is right I wouldn’t mind see him playin next to Dats for a year or 2 to try him out.

Posted by T on 07/02/12 at 01:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m not going to call Semin dysfunctional for what has happened over the course of his career with the Capitals.  I mean…. just look at them.  The air in the Washington locker room has always seemed poisonous to me.  The guy probably does need a fresh start.

So as usual… shut up Pierre.

-Also-

Marc Crawford, please try being relevant for reasons that aren’t stupid or bad for once in your life.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/02/12 at 01:37 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Erm…I thought it was the creation of life.

Oh crap…wrong website.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/02/12 at 11:23 AM ET

How totally infantile…. and hilarious.  I’m disappointed with myself for the laugh I’m getting out of this.

Also…

I like Semin.

Posted by T on 07/02/12 at 11:34 AM ET

Sorry, T, couldn’t help myself.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/02/12 at 01:40 PM ET

As I typed it I chuckled, and thought it was a little weird. I knew someone would quote that

Posted by T on 07/02/12 at 01:42 PM ET

Posted by bezukov from Nasburgum delenda est. on 07/02/12 at 11:37 AM ET

It’s okay.  There’s a Swiss club who thinks he is so let them deal with him and his over-moussed hair.

Honestly, Semin needed out of that situation in DC.  From a lot of the post game reports at the recent World Championships, he seemed a lot different than the Semin in DC.  He was particularly enthused about playing next to Dangles.  If put in the right atmosphere and the players, he could become who he was at the World Championships instead of this perceived moody and recalcitrant hockey player.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/02/12 at 01:43 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

I agree that the comments that were made were a bit over the top.  I did like it when Semin replied “I’d love to respond back to Crawford, but I’m afraid I don’t speak *#$%@&.”

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 07/02/12 at 01:46 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

All this Semin talk is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 01:48 PM ET

All this Semin talk is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 11:48 AM ET

Holy fuch…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/02/12 at 01:50 PM ET

Semin is no more of a coach killer then Patrick Marleau.

Posted by FireDougWilson on 07/02/12 at 01:55 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Holy fuch…

I know, the disrespect shown regarding Semin is appalling, no?

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 02:01 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

All this Semin talk is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 11:48 AM ET

That comment, in tandem with your avatar… just like the Big Lebowski’s rug, is really tying the room together.

Cheers.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/02/12 at 02:06 PM ET

I know, the disrespect shown regarding Semin is appalling, no?

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 12:01 PM ET

It was hard to swallow.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/02/12 at 02:07 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

It was hard to swallow.

...aaaaaand boom goes the dynamite.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 02:12 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Fixed that for you.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/12 at 10:49 AM ET

Fair play.

As to why he hasn’t signed yet, simple—he’s got to fall in line after Parise. The other guys that have been signed to this point were obviously never going to be close to getting Parise money. Now, I don’t think Semin is either, at least not on a long-term deal. But he has an incredibly high skill level and has even done things Parise has never done in the NHL. So, while a guy like Ray Whitney pretty much knows where he stands and has no reason to wait, Semin has a lot of reason to wait, because if a team like Detroit loses out on Parise, Semin’s value goes up dramatically.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/02/12 at 02:28 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Out of curiosity, what has Semin done that Parise hasn’t?

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/02/12 at 02:33 PM ET

Just sign Semin already. Nothing more than a gut feeling, but I just don’t see the Wings getting Parise.

Can hear Ken Daniels calling it now - “Datsyuk undresses Johnson, Semin finishes it off five-hole!”

Posted by Jesters Dead on 07/02/12 at 03:08 PM ET

Curley's avatar

Frankly, we CBJ fans are insulted to be considered “an island of misfit toys”!!  There are no misfits in our lineup and a whole lot of character guys who are coveted by other teams. Them’s fightin’ words for the tens of thousands of Jackets fans. It was purely a cheap shot by a coach who was passed over by the Jackets and all the other teams with openings…....Hmm, wonder why? We may not have the most skill in our lineup and have suffered from bad decision-making, drafting, goal-keeping etc but don’t ever insult our character. I hope I see that loud mouth on the street in the Arena District some night…..soon.

Posted by Curley on 07/02/12 at 03:23 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Easy there, Rudolph.

Them’s fightin’ words for the tens of thousands dozens of Jackets fans.

Fixt for ya, tough guy.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 03:30 PM ET

Wherever Semin lands he’s going to leave his mark.

Posted by godblender on 07/02/12 at 03:37 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Wherever Semin lands he’s going to leave his mark.

My gut feeling is that he’ll make a big splash somewhere.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 03:41 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

Don’t you guys realize that all of these guys are just jockeying to take over for Don Cherry? They have to sharpen their best bigoted comments.

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 07/02/12 at 04:33 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Curley on 07/02/12 at 01:23 PM ET

No character problems in Columbus?  Dude stop drinking so much of the Kool-aid.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/02/12 at 04:36 PM ET

Wherever Semin lands he’s going to leave his mark.

My gut feeling is that he’ll make a big splash somewhere.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 01:41 PM ET

As much as I don’t want Semin in a Wings’ jersey, I really don’t want Semin on a Wings’ jersey. Ya know, folks…

*sigh* This is what happens when I’m forced to wait for free agent updates in what could be the most significant off season of the past 20+ years…jizz jokes galore.

Posted by godblender on 07/02/12 at 04:53 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I hear ya.

I have a shiat-ton of things to get done today, but have been absolutely unproductive and generally worthless.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 05:04 PM ET

...aaaaaand boom goes the dynamite.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/02/12 at 12:12 PM ET

Whoops…a little too early for the squirt.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/02/12 at 06:15 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/02/12 at 11:06 AM ET

It’s called Slander.. and they can be taken to court for it.  McGuire also bills himself an insider and knowing situations intimately.  So in his context as an expert, making wildly unfounded accusations about someones ability to do their job or how they do it, I would take him even if I didn’t win, just so he learns to hold that little forked tongue in from time to time.

I fuchin’ hate both those douche canoes, Crawford looks like a pedophile.. sounds like a pedophile.  Wouldn’t want him talking to my kids.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/02/12 at 08:17 PM ET