Is Milbury An Idiot?

from Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

I’m not one for name-calling, as longtime readers can attest. Never have been. So please understand I apply this term here only in the direct spirit of its official Webster definition: Mike Milbury is an idiot.

The definition is “showing foolishness or stupidity.” Decide for yourself …

He’s an idiot if that’s really him giving this interview to Philadelphia’s WIP Radio.

He’s an idiot if he thinks he can be viewed as a serious national analyst on NHL broadcasts after he assails one specific team for the benefit of momentary yucks from the other side.

He’s an idiot if he thinks he can accuse Dan Bylsma of wearing “a skirt” for not engaging Peter Laviolette between the benches Sunday, when Milbury’s most recent violent engagement in public involved being charged with assaulting a 12-year-old boy.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+milbury

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

DocF's avatar

I read the column.  I agree that Mike MIlbury is an idiot.  But then, Red Wings fans have always known that.  He calls for Milbury to be ousted by NBC.  Actually as long as the network insists on having the current crew of lousy broadcasters, it is hard for casual sports fans to take hockey seriously.

Doc Emrick wanders and plays with his mental blocks these days much more often than he calls a game.  Eddie O.  bluster and puffs and says nothing of substance.  The guy between the benches needs to get a new job.  Let us hope Montreal chooses him as GM.  Finally, the panel for intermissions is absolutely terrible.  A non-entity for the anchor and Milbury, Roenick, and Keith Jones?  Give me a break.  Actually I take one and go do other things during the intermissions.  These guys are incapable of rational thought.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 04/03/12 at 12:19 PM ET

I’m can’t stand any of the NBC broadcast team.  Roenick tries to be funny.  McGuire is just annoying and doesn’t add much.  It’s amazing he had nothing to say being in between all that action at the end of the game between Philly and Pitt.  Doc emerick isn’t good either.

Edzo acts like he was a successful coach and has extensive coaching knowledge.  Pure abortion.

Best thing they could do is hire a Canadian hockey crew or just pipe in Canadian feeds from either CBC or TSN like NHL Network does.

Posted by tbassett on 04/03/12 at 01:05 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Is Milbury An Idiot? Well, of course he is. What he said about Crosby was true, albeit with his typical “Don Cherry light” drivel but this guy is such a tool that it’s embarrassing. Actually, the whole NBC crew is an embarrassment to hockey. I can just imagine a hockey noob tuning in for the first time and thinking he/she is listening to commentators that are WWE Raw rejects. Huge turnoff.
The only time I’ll watch a game that’s on NBC (or NBC Sports) is at a sports bar where the volume is off.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/03/12 at 01:07 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Actually, I always have my TV on mute, when the guy between the benches speaks during Versus/NBC broadcasts. Except when he talks to Uncle Mike, who is the best in the business when it comes to talking to Pierre.

Posted by detroitredwings on 04/03/12 at 01:08 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’d never thought I’d say this but…I miss Clement as the color guy…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/03/12 at 01:17 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Clement and Gary Thorne would be great alternatives at this point.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/03/12 at 01:21 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Kovacevic must be in the running for the rhetorical question of the year award.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/03/12 at 01:23 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I gotta laugh at someone in Pittsburgh complaining about one of NBC’s talking heads.  After the NHL/NBC’s six year old love affair with the Pittsburgh Penguin’s finally cools off, one of their writers gets jealous?  Hilarious.

I share the majority opinion of Milbury around here.  Between his stint as the NYI GM and his time on the air, its a wonder he still finds work on the national airwaves.  However credit is due where credit is due.  It’s about time somebody is calling a spade a spade relative to Crosby.  I’m happy to see somebody in the “MSM” pull that halo down from above Crosby’s head, even if it does happen to be from someone at a third grade reading level.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/03/12 at 01:29 PM ET

Is Milbury an idiot? Yes.

Is what he said about Crosby accurate? Yes.

It doesn’t always have to be either / or.

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/03/12 at 01:36 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& again the AMWing fans out in force. lovely shade of jealousy by the way

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 01:49 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Milbury is an a$$.  No doubt about it.  But the “Milbury is an idiot” headline is just a popular opinion the author can use to reel readers in before he begins his whining and crying.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 01:55 PM ET

As a long-time Islanders fan, I can firmly attest that, yes, Milbury is in fact an idiot.

Posted by Islesfan on 04/03/12 at 02:11 PM ET

Yes, BUT..

Flyers-Pens Draws Best Numbers Ever For April Regular Season Game on NBC

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 04/03/12 at 02:19 PM ET

& again the AMWing fans out in force. lovely shade of jealousy by the way

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 11:49 AM ET

What are we jealous of? The fact some in the media don’t worship Sid anymore? The fact more and more people see him for the spoiled baby that he is? The fact you almost lost your team twice due to fan apathy, and we didn’t?

What, exactly?

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/03/12 at 02:23 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

no Sid ! that iyou are jealous of, unfathomable that Fans of a team with the history they have & the Former players they had & still with Datsyuk, Zetterberg & the Inhumanly good even at his age Lidstrom

Really hilarious that you are hung up on & intensely jealous of Sid & anything Penguins

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 02:44 PM ET

Which of you Pens fans here at KK, are this guy?  Fess up.

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 04/03/12 at 02:49 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

See if I can educate a Slow & stupid AMWing fan here redthinger pens were in bankruptcy twice both times from Horribly mismanagement by the owners at the time, Howard Baldwin sold his soul to the devil to stay afloat & in reality had 2 different sets of “Books” 1 which he showed potential investors & the real ones.

The earlier one was just as bad ownership ! Can you & other AMWing fans stop using that Horseshit canrd please, It is a disgusting as some of the Pensblog morons coming here during the Cup playoffs & ripping you for the Car makers gross negligence in putting Detroit in horrific economic conditions

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 02:49 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Cy Clark is a douche !
That is the guys name

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 02:50 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Mike Milbury is an idiot.

Yeah, thanks for the news flash McFly

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/03/12 at 02:54 PM ET

Evilpens, never one to hide his idiocy calls a fan who has publicly battled cancer a douche. Bravo.

Posted by kk-downing from Pittsburgh on 04/03/12 at 02:57 PM ET

It’s not just wings fan who share this view. If you believe that then you live in a bubble.  I don’t like milbury, but he finally said something most of us agree with. Outside of Pittsburgh, and Canada on an Olympic year

Posted by T on 04/03/12 at 02:58 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I don’t give a shit if he battled Cancer! how about Murders & rapists who have or having to batle Cancer should we Say what Great & brave people they are too?

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 03:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 12:49 PM ET

Except one of those things is actually hockey related and therefore relevant in a hockey discussion.

Besides, Pens fans shouldn’t be embarrassed by the 2nd bankruptcy. That’s how Lemieux got gifted the team.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/03/12 at 03:04 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

J.J. Jealousy looks good on you 1 The horrible ownership was the reason for bankruptcy not the Fans, Just like the workers for Car companies are not the reason for Car Companies going bankrupt it was Pathetically bad ownership decisions by management

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 03:06 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Only one of those things is about hockey.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/03/12 at 03:11 PM ET

I’m so tired of your loser troll routine. I don’t usually name call but you’re a f*cking idiot. Just STFU. Seriously, you add NOTHING to any discussion. All you do is troll and name call. Don’t go away mad, just go away….

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 04/03/12 at 03:18 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

From The Hockey Wastelands Is THAT the best you got? Walk on home boy

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 03:20 PM ET

Paul I apologize for the antagonism but I’ve had it with this four year old and his constant baiting and name calling. It’s ridiculous.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 04/03/12 at 03:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

This is probably a good time to mention this.

Yes, people here who comment sometimes walk a fine line but by the 15th of this month, KK members will have the ability to block other KK members from comments.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/03/12 at 03:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I would propose we have some sort of scoreboard so we can keep track of which people get blocked by the most commenters.

I think I can make a pretty solid top-five push.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/03/12 at 03:29 PM ET

Thank you and Amen.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 04/03/12 at 03:30 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 12:44 PM ET

I, for one, am only jealous of your grasp on the English language, typing, and coherency.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/03/12 at 03:30 PM ET

Nah not you J.J. just my favorite Pens fan.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 04/03/12 at 03:32 PM ET

From The Hockey Wastelands:  In only a few more days, you will have the ability to block a user’s posts from appearing on your screen, to help improve the signal-to-noise ratio in the comment section.  I am adding precisely one name to my list.  I can’t wait; I’m very excited! grin  Also there is some more exciting KK site news too, but I’ll let Paul announce it when he’s ready.  I’ve certainly been enjoying the past few days, knowing that it’s only for a few more days that I’ll be subjected to the ranting of a certain individual.

To anyone else excited by this news, I recommend making a donation to help keep this great site great.  I did; proudly and gladly.

To anyone who wants to attack me for being a “Red Wings fan”:  I’m not.  And even if I were, I still don’t see what that has to do with anything.

To the user doing the attacking:  I’d say it’s been a pleasure, but it hasn’t.  The pleasure will come when you realize nobody is listening anymore. wink

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 04/03/12 at 03:33 PM ET

Whoops, Paul let it slip while I was typing up my response.  Keep up the great work, man!  This site is about to get even better! smile

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 04/03/12 at 03:34 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

KK members will have the ability to block other KK members from comments

Kinda losing the community feel of this site it seems. It’ll be interesting to see the results of the second and third order effects from this option.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/03/12 at 03:34 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

I don’t care that Milbury said that Sid had “a little punk in him” or that he’s chastising him for getting into scrums when he shouldn’t.  Even the “screw him, hit him” part isn’t really offensive - I mean, if coaches aren’t thinking that already, I don’t even know what to say.

The things that do bother me, though, are:

1.  Making light of concussions - and the subsequent laughing it up of guys on the radio who root for the team that (probably) just had their captain’s career ended by one (and that’s not even mentioning Lindros).  Concussions aren’t funny, and you aren’t a pansy if you sit out because you have one.

2.  The misogynistic comments.  Because Bylsma didn’t act like a petulant little @sshole, he’s a little girly man?  How offensive is this to the female hockey fanbase?

3.  The absolute hypocrisy in criticizing Crosby for being too rough and Bylsma for not being rough enough.  Really?

The fact you almost lost your team twice due to fan apathy, and we didn’t?

Ah, back to the tried and completely untrue standby.  Need some new material, don’t you Winger?

Cy Clark is a douche !
That is the guys name

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 12:50 PM ET

No he’s not.  Calm down, idiot.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/03/12 at 03:37 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

I think I can make a pretty solid top-five push.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/03/12 at 01:29 PM ET

I’m 100% for the scorecard.  You might make it to the top 5, but nobody would be EP.  Even Pens fans think he’s troll.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/03/12 at 03:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

KK members will have the ability to block other KK members from comments

Posted by SnLO from the slopes of the Hindu Kush on 04/03/12 at 01:34 PM ET

I really don’t think so.  I imagine a few members will have their comments blocked but if I was a member and had the option, I would not use it.

The only think I would do would be NOT RESPOND TO IT.  Laugh it off, pretend it doesn’t exist and move on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/03/12 at 03:40 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by SnLO from the slopes of the Hindu Kush on 04/03/12 at 01:34 PM ET

I expect that most users will only be blocking the most obnoxious commenters.  Those who never have anything to contribute and are here simply as a way to get attention.  I don’t think it will take anything away from the community feel.  Think of it as ostricizing that terrible neighbor on your block and “accidentally” not inviting them to the neighborhood cookout.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 03:44 PM ET