Is Marchand A $3 Million Dollar Player?

from Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe,

• Restricted free agent Brad Marchand remains without a new deal with the Bruins. He is without arbitration rights, which gives him less leverage in the financial taffy pull. Tampa Bay’s Teddy Purcell, a playoff force similar to Marchand, had arbitration rights and settled on a new restricted free agent deal last week that will pay him an average $2.36 million over the next two years. That’s a realistic figure for Marchand. Or possibly a three-year deal for around $9 million total.

• Great news for NBC/Versus viewers last week with word that both Mike Emrick and Dave Strader have signed on for full-time play-by-play duty. Note to NBC execs: time to do the same with analysts Mike Milbury and Andy Brickley, both of whom have their abundant talents muted by good-times-nothing-but-good-times NESN.

read on for more hockey notes…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brad+marchand

Comments

If I were Andy Brickley I’d be very offended.

Posted by BobTheZee on 07/24/11 at 12:59 PM ET

Exactly what I was going to typ,e Bob. Well said!

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/24/11 at 01:15 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

I think Marchand is worth 3 mil, and I’m betting that Chiarelli thinks that too, but they are probably trying to avoid having to pay him that at all costs, which is the only reason I can see for why the deal hasn’t been done yet.

He has his coming out party during last season’s playoffs, so now one of the B’s better kept secrets is no longer a secret. He’s a tremendous young player with tons of upside. Sure people can knock his maturity, but no one can question his high level of “hockey sense”.

This stand-off will probably continue for a bit, an he likely won’t get 3 mil, but perhaps just under… I’m guessing around 2.8.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/24/11 at 02:05 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

RE: NBC/Versus - I wish they’d scrap their entire broadcast team and start over.  I can’t stand any of them but my favorites to hate are Pee-Air, Jeremy Roenick and Icky Eddie Olycyk.  Even Doc, who used to be good, has gotten irritating as he frequently goes off on something that has nothing to do with what’s happening on the ice.

My standard procedure when a game is on NBC or Versus is to mute the sound.  It’s the only way I can get through a broadcast of theirs without opening a vein.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/24/11 at 03:06 PM ET

Totally agree.  With the number of commercial breaks and promos that NBC jams into a national broadcast there just isn’t enough time for the Vin Scully routine (where everything has a story and a connection to the pre-WW2 NHL).  I find his voice grating and his style irritating and I don’t understand the reverence many people seem to have for him.  It’s been my experience that he knows more about the above mentioned pre-WW2 NHL than he does about the current Western Conference.

Strader is a really good broadcaster and there would be nothing wrong with making him the top dog.  Getting rid of “EDZO WASN’T THAT AWESOME EDZO?” and Olycyk would also be huge improvements.  Besides, has having a guy down at ice level ever added anything to any broadcast?  Doing a game is all about the chemistry and timing between the play-by-play announcer and color guy.  Not only does having a third voice screw that up but having him outside of the booth makes it impossible to ever really fix.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/24/11 at 05:21 PM ET

marchand looked like a 3 million dollar player in the playoffs… but so did bergenheim (spelling).

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 07/24/11 at 06:57 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Not to mention that Doc pretty much never scouts a team before a game, giving way to countless crediting the wrong player.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/24/11 at 09:00 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

The kid is mature enough to listen to the vets on his team when he’s being out of line.

Expectation management, people are hip to his game, lets see how he does when everyone’s got his number

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/24/11 at 10:45 PM ET

Mike Milbury has abundant talents, that’s news to me!  I guess it really was a crime that he didn’t get GM of the Year award for all his good work in Long Island.

Posted by Devils In The Details on 07/25/11 at 01:58 PM ET

wingsfanindenver's avatar

My thoughts exactly. Milbury isn’t a tool, or a tool bag, he’s the whole damned Home Depot. Please, NBC, upon all that his holy, fire Mike Milbury

Posted by wingsfanindenver on 07/25/11 at 02:32 PM ET