Injury Update On Mats Zuccarello

Below, watch how the injury occurred.

added 3:54pm, Also added below, Zuccarello talking with the media...

added 3:54pm,

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mats+zuccarello

Comments

Canucklehead's avatar

Yikes.  Glad to hear he’s healing up well.  And, I hope that there are no lingering issues because of that injury.  That’s pretty damn scary.

Posted by Canucklehead from Ottawa, Ontario on 06/01/15 at 12:05 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News,

The Rangers forward revealed at the team’s breakup day on Monday afternoon that the puck he took to the side of the head from a Ryan McDonagh slap shot in Game 5 of the first round series against the Penguins resulted in a serious head contusion that put him in the hospital for three days. He even temporarily lost his ability to speak.

“I don’t know what you guys know, but there was a small fracture in my head. I lost my (ability to) talk and some feeling in my arm and stuff. I was in the hospital for three days,” Zuccarello said. “I couldn’t talk for a while. I had a contusion, some blood in my brain. That affects a lot. I went to speech therapy. I’m getting much better. I couldn’t say a word for four days… I feel much better and I’m getting better and better.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/01/15 at 12:21 PM ET

Mr. Fnytelhatt's avatar

The actual contents of that tweet are absolutely jawdropping.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 06/01/15 at 12:22 PM ET

awould's avatar

Whoa. That’s rough. I wonder what type of helmet he had on. Seems to be a lot of guys still using those helmets that provide almost no actual protection.

Posted by awould on 06/01/15 at 12:42 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Holy crap. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Glad he’s okay now, but that had to have been extremely frightening for him and his teammates.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/01/15 at 12:45 PM ET

Interesting that he would apparently be cleared to play. Not sure what the long-term considerations are, but I’d think if someone had to go to speech therapy, that would be a serious, serious injury with longer-term ramifications.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/01/15 at 01:11 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The NHL is NOT going to be happy about those details, I’d imagine.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/01/15 at 01:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added video of Zuccarello talking to the media.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/01/15 at 02:55 PM ET