In A Battle With Jeremy Jacobs

from Jason Schwartz of Boston Magazine,

For a quarter-century, Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs ruled the clubby equestrian scene in Wellington, Florida. From his palatial estate, he fought to keep the exclusive community exactly the way he and his family wanted it. Then a brash Boston entrepreneur named Mark Bellissimo appeared on the scene. Now the two men have declared war on each other—and the fate of the town hangs in the balance.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Hockey Related Stories, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jeremy+jacobs

Comments

Mandingo's avatar

This story is a must-read. It’s insane.

I didn’t think it was possible that I could consider Jeremy Jacobs more of an *#$%@& than I already did, but wow.

I love this:

A particular flashpoint came in 2010, when Bellissimo contracted out the center to a promoter staging a concert by the hip-hop artist Akon. “That didn’t go over too well,” said Mason Phelps, a former equestrian who today serves as a Jacobs family spokesman in Wellington. “Nor did we want to attract the kind of people the Akon concert would attract to this community…. The people that go and listen to and like Akon are not Wellingtonites. It’s just a different crowd of people. I don’t mean to sound like a snob, but this is a fairly upscale community, and we don’t need to bring the low- and middle-income hooligans into town and have them all of a sudden say, Wow, good pickins’ out here.”

LOL. I wonder if there’s a defining visual characteristic that these “kind of people” share.

And this is coming from the family spokesman, mind you. Jesus, this horsie ballerina set lives on another planet.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/26/13 at 11:35 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Very interesting.  I always percieved Jacobs to be the type of man who, in his heart, thinks we can go back to the days when polite young Canadian boys knew better then to ask for salaries consumerate with their incredible skill and were happy to go back back home for the summer and work on their parent’s farm for the money they needed.  This article solidifies my opinion of Jacobs as a man stuck in another era.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 03/26/13 at 12:41 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Jeremy Jacobs is on the BoG and we all wonder what the feck is wrong with the NHL these days.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/26/13 at 12:55 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I thought Jacobs was a man of the 1920s. Now I’m convinced he’d be more comfortable in the 1880s.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/26/13 at 01:09 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/26/13 at 01:09 PM ET

That may still be too modern.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 03/26/13 at 01:33 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Paying $625k to influence a little over 5000 voters = $107 per vote. There’s no way this was about money and business. This was about power.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/26/13 at 01:49 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Kinda like the American version of Downton Abbey.

“Lord Jacobs sees his family heritage, especially the grand country home Downton Abbey, as his mission in life.”

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/26/13 at 03:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’d venture to guess it’s a common personality among people and families who’ve sustained a heightened societal stature over an extended period of time.

Sneakin’ suspicion.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/13 at 03:27 PM ET

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/26/13 at 01:09 PM ET

Judging by Mandingo’s quote from the Jacobs PR Guy, I think it’s more likely he thinks he owns a plantation in the 1840s American South.

Posted by larry on 03/26/13 at 04:32 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I think you smacked the truth right in the face there Larry.  That’s EXACTLY it.  Except he doesn’t see black and white, he sees Middle/Lower income vs. Rightfully Wealthy Super Rich.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/13 at 04:36 PM ET

I’m fairly mesmerized by this quote. Wikipedia has the median US household income as $53,000. The PR person for the Jacobs family is under the impression that, like, schoolteachers are gonna kick in their doors and hold them for ransom. Totally outrageous.

Posted by larry on 03/26/13 at 04:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

That’s what inherent narcissism will do.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/13 at 04:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I wonder if dancing is legal in Wellington.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/26/13 at 04:56 PM ET