Improved Fighting In NHL 14 - Yay, Nay Or Who Cares?

from the CP at CBC,

"When I look back at NHL 13,I feel like we fell short a little bit on the aggression piece of it," said Ramjagsingh.

That meant upping the ante on big hits and fights.

"There is a code in hockey and when it's broken, you have to respond," EA notes in a press release.

Critics may decry the improved fighting component. Fans will celebrate that the game, already a marvel in recreating the one-ice product, is even more authentic. Take a run at Sidney Crosby and there will be Penguins payback.

"For us, it's a part of the sport, it's an authentic part of the sport," said Ramjagsingh. "We work very closely with our partners at the NHL and NHLPA, make sure that they understand we're telling the story of their sport. That's why the speed and skill part is just as important as the aggression piece.

"The game is about the Datsyuks [Detroit star forward Pavel Datsyuk] and showing off their skill and their speed, as well as the aggression piece. And why the aggression piece is so important to allowing the skill piece to happen ... Fighting is a little bit controversial to some people but for hockey fans out there, and casual hockey fans, it's an important part of the sport."

Filed in: Fantasy Hockey and Gaming, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

A justified whoopin’ is always a good thing

Posted by SlimChance on 08/21/13 at 10:31 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

I haven’y played the EA NHL games since NHL 10 (though I get the feeling I haven’t missed much), but EA has never been able to really capture the hockey fight and fighting in their games always seems to come off as more of a boxing match.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 08/21/13 at 10:54 AM ET

Primis's avatar

It sucks.

You can’t hit anyone without a fight happening.  I realize that’s realistic to an extent, but that doesn’t mean anyone in their right mind wants it in their game.

I was playing HUT on the demo and my entire top line at one point was in the box because they hit someone and were forced into a fight (sometimes you get to choose to select “Y” to fight. or not… other times it’s automatic and you get no choice).

If you play CHI-BOS in the demo as CHI, you’re going to hit someone 1 or 2 times every game and have Chara jump you.

It’s stupid.  It’s pointless.  It ruins the demo.

Posted by Primis on 08/21/13 at 11:27 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I’m not an avid player of these games anymore, but one criticism I always had was that the fights always seemed to be rather random (I think I recall playing one version that featured a button that allowed you to illegally clutch and grab and would in some circumstances lead to a fight).

I think an effort to capture the circumstances where a fight might actually occur on the ice is a good thing. I don’t suspect there’s any appetite to take fighting out of the game entirely, and if it’s going to be there I think it should reflect the reality of why fights happen in hockey and not appear random.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 08/21/13 at 11:30 AM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

Really Primis?  I played several times yesterday and couldn’t get into a fight for the life of me.  Tried really hard too.  I’m more frustrated at the goalies, who seem just as idiotic as before.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 08/21/13 at 12:02 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Fighting is really fun in NHL14.
The only thing I’d add is multiple fights at once for co-op play, haha.

Posted by Hank1974 on 08/21/13 at 01:01 PM ET