Improve Playoff OT?

from Rick Carpiniello of Rangers Report,

- One thing I don’t get, and it seems simple to me, is why the NHL doesn’t make two amendments to its playoff overtime procedure. First, why do the team switch sides? What is the point of forcing both teams to make the long change in the first (and third) OT? I know, the long change sometimes results in a bad change and an offensive chance. I think it also results in more careful play, more dump-and-changes, and probably results in more too-many-men penalties (or missed penalties). I just don’t see why teams can’t defend on the side of their bench for the entire overtime. I think it would improve the OTs.

- The other thing is, there are no TV timeouts during overtime, which is good for us, but not necessarily good for the game. We heard all about how tired the players were in Game 1’s triple-OT (partly, I’m going to repeat, due to the long change). Part if that is because there are no breaks for all the players to get a breather and for the ice to be shoveled, as there are in every period all season long, and the first three periods of every playoff game. Why not just schedule a quick timeout, instead of once after the 10:00 mark, but also after the 5:00 mark and the 15:00 mark? Would add two or three minutes to the OT, total, and make for a better OT, just as not switching sides would. I think players would be fresher, more chances would be taken, maybe the OTs would even end more quickly.

more hockey notes...

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Here’s one thing about hockey fans and people who write about the game: we’re never fuchin’ satisfied.We always have to have something to bitch and complain about.

Really, you’re bitching about the fact there are no TV timeouts in OT??

Some people just need to relax, and enjoy the game.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/14/13 at 09:25 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Really, you’re bitching about the fact there are no TV timeouts in OT??

Also, gut-feeling tells me most OT goals have more to do with fatigue than with skill. Not-so-tired offenses could have more chances, but wouldn’t those be also better defended?

(and it’s hard enough to keep people in the seats with intermission only. do we really want to give people more chances to leave?)

(I hate people who leave early)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/14/13 at 09:34 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Good points.

I watched the first OT of game one, and though dead-tired during it, I watched it all, because there were no commercials. If they would have broke for commercials that would have been my cue to go to bed

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/14/13 at 09:47 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Viewing OTs as additional periods, so OT1 would be 4, OT2 would be 5…
Short changes:  1, 3, 5, etc.
Long changes:  2, 4, 6, etc.

Was that pattern so hard to figure out?  So, if he’s not ignoring a consistent pattern, is he really asking why teams switch ends at all?  (To prevent a perceived or real difference in the opposite ends of arenas ice/sightlines/lighting/etc).  You can’t tell me that teams wouldn’t do things a little bit different at their end of the ice if there were no end changes.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/14/13 at 09:48 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Really, you’re bitching about the fact there are no TV timeouts in OT??
Some people just need to relax, and enjoy the game.
Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/14/13 at 09:25 AM ET

No $hit, eh? Seems like it’s just whining for whining’s sake.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/14/13 at 10:21 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Really, you’re bitching about the fact there are no TV timeouts in OT??

IKR   Quit looking a gift-horse in the mouth

Sheesh

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 06/14/13 at 10:33 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

No $hit, eh? Seems like it’s just whining for whining’s sake.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/14/13 at 10:21 AM ET

Slow hockey news day, and his boss probably told him he needs to have a certain amount of page hits today.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/14/13 at 10:34 AM ET