Imagine If tne NHL Draft Ended After Five Rounds

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pavel+datsyuk

Comments

Primis's avatar

I am speechless.

THAT.. is what I call turn-around.

Posted by Primis on 04/28/10 at 04:12 PM ET

I enjoy the various spins on those commercials that I’ve seen.

That said, it should be noted that the guy who started that play but wasn’t shown, Brian Rafalski, wasn’t drafted at all.

So, there is no saying that even if the draft ended after 5 rounds that neither of the other two guys, Dats and Zetterberg, wouldn’t also be in the league.

Posted by Ajax19 on 04/28/10 at 04:12 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

The parodies are far better than the actual commercials.

My favorite is, “What if Gordon Bombay didn’t blow a .08?”

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/28/10 at 04:22 PM ET

Then Dats would be Fabian Brunnstrom x1736746383839393939302

Posted by Tyler Arnason on 04/28/10 at 04:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

that did not take long to put up.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/28/10 at 04:32 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

The Bombay one is classic but this is freakin awesome. I love the smell of coffee in the morning.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/28/10 at 04:34 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

As dumb as they are, I like the anti-Crosby ones. It’s not because I hate Crosby, but because he’s the primary benefactor of such marketing campaigns. Once again, it’s about him as a marketing symbol rather than as a player. There is a difference.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/28/10 at 05:18 PM ET

I seem to recall Tick Tock saying the undrafted picks are like “free picks” because they’re still available to anyone.  I wouldn’t doubt for one moment that if the draft did indeed end after the fifth round, Tick Tock would’ve still signed Datsyuk and Zetterberg to free-agent signings.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/28/10 at 05:27 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Good stuff. I’m sure they had the concept all worked out and just picked a play to plug in. If the Coyotes had won, it probably would have been video of amazing saves by Bryzgalov with “What if Brian Burke wasn’t such a great guy?” LOL

I do not like lil’ gary & co., but have to admit “History Will Be Made” and a few other recent ad campaigns (e.g., the one with the still photos coming to life) have been pretty good. Granted, lg and his boys don’t create the concepts or ads, but they do give the green light.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 04/28/10 at 05:28 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Z to the D…

Posted by pgoody on 04/28/10 at 05:50 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

The “It Weighs 35 pounds.. except when you lift it” is still the best…

Posted by pgoody on 04/28/10 at 05:52 PM ET

I personally hated the still photos coming to life, but that’s beside the point.

You don’t really think Gary had anything to do with these ad campaigns, do you?

Posted by Garth on 04/28/10 at 06:11 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Another awesome one…

Posted by pgoody on 04/28/10 at 07:03 PM ET

edillac's avatar

Imagine If tne NHL Draft Ended After Five Rounds

Wings wouldnt even be able to ice a team,what joy would that be for all the tank teams outthere

Posted by edillac from isolation on 04/28/10 at 07:29 PM ET

They just played this on TSN during the game.

Posted by Colton from Calgary on 04/28/10 at 10:10 PM ET