Ilitch Negotiating To Buy Detroit Pistons

from Bill Shea of Crain’s Detroit Business,

The owner of the Detroit Pistons and Auburn Hills-based Palace Sports & Entertainment Inc. has chosen to open negotiations to sell the basketball team and venue management company to Detroit pizza and sports industrialist Mike Ilitch, Crain’s has learned.

It’s believed that a deal will be worked out in the next 30 days.

Any sale of the Pistons will require a vote by the National Basketball Association’s other team owners.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: detroit+pistons

Comments

Nathan's avatar

From a Detroit perspective, I love this. From a Red Wings perspective, I hate it.

The Wings have been used to their own building and facilities. I hate the idea of them sharing with the Pistons… call me greedy. I also don’t want to see Mr. and Mrs. I extend themselves to the point where the devotion they have to the Wings now suffers.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/05/10 at 01:31 PM ET

There was some thought the Wings would suffer after Mr. Ilitch bought the Tigers in 1992, as baseball was thought to be his first love (he was a minor league prospect back in the day). The Wings have been Ok since then, and the Tigers are a lot better off, if not yet where we would like them to be, so I am not worried. The only problem I see is how to get Mr. I control of the Lions.

Posted by mc keeper on 10/05/10 at 04:25 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I’m more worried about this affecting what the the tigers can do with all the money that came off the books this offseason.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 10/05/10 at 05:39 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Hmm.. I smell a combination basketball/hockey stadium in the future.  Do not like.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 10/05/10 at 05:44 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I’m glad that, as a Wings fan, the owner of the best team in all of sports has the cash laying around that he can just up and purchase an NBA team for shits and giggles.

Much better than facing the prospect of my team moving to Kansas City.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 10/05/10 at 11:05 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by mc keeper on 10/05/10 at 02:25 PM ET

The Tigers are sort of better off. Remember how long it took Ilitch to make the Tigers even close to relevant, and to be very fair and honest, I think the following 4 years have proven that 2006 was the noise amongst the true signal of mediocrity.

I don’t worry about the Wings suffering in the short-term. Ilitch has publicly stated in the past he’s not even a basketball fan. I feel bad for basketball fans because the Pistons are already pathetic, and with Ilitch as the owner, clearly having more interest in the Wings and Tigers, it doesn’t bode well for the Pistons. My guess is the Pistons will get the same treatment the Tigers got in that he’ll invest what is needed to make them relevant enough to draw fans and make money, but contending for championships is likely out of the picture.

In the middle-to-long-term, I worry about the Wings. This is a club used to having its own facility. I don’t think that can be underestimated. They have a comfort level knowing the building is theirs. Furthermore, sharing a facility will mean A) crappy ice, especially during the stretch run and playoffs and B) even wackier, more difficult scheduling for the Wings, as they already have to contend with being one of the two teams in the West that are really in the eastern time zone.

I would prefer the Pistons just stay at the Palace, and the Wings stay at the Joe until the new barn is built. But that’s obviously not going to happen. Best, and somewhat realistic, case is that the Wings temporarily share the Palace with the Pistons until the new place is ready for the Wings, then the Pistons stay at the Palace.

But even that seems unrealistic. It seems the main motivation for getting the Pistons (besides the obvious business reasons for owning Palace S&E) is to get leverage over the city of Detroit, to have another carrot to dangle to help get the arena built downtown that Ilitch wants. And that pretty much means it would be shared. And that sucks for hockey, just ask Ranger fans.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/06/10 at 01:22 PM ET