IIHF Suspends Evgeny Kuznetsov For Four Years Due To Cocaine Use

via IIHF.com,

The IIHF has suspended Russian ice hockey player Yevgeni Kuznetsov for a violation of World Anti-Doping Code Article 2.1 (Presence of a Prohibited Substance).

The case concerns a test indicating a prohibited substance, cocaine, according to section S6.a (non-specified substance) of the World Anti-Doping Code 2019 Prohibited List. The prohibited substance was found in a doping control which occurred on 26 May 2019 at the 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.

The player didn’t require the analysis of his B-sample and was provisionally suspended on 13th June 2019.

The period of ineligibility to be imposed shall be four years, concluding on 12th June 2023.

Per Russian Machine Never Breaks, Kuznetsov did a purge of his Instagram account.

added 8:53am, Back in late May, Kuznetsov addressed the issue.

added 9:31am, Statement from Bill Daly below.

added 9:41am, Statement from the Caps and Kutznetsov below.

NEW YORK (August 23, 2019) – NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly released the following statement today regarding Washington Capitals’ Player Evgeny Kuznetsov:

“We have been fully briefed by the IIHF with respect to the positive test result and related international sanction that has been imposed on Washington Capitals’ Player Evgeny Kuznetsov.

“Unlike the IIHF, cocaine is not considered a performance enhancing drug and is therefore not a Prohibited Substance under the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.  Instead, it is considered a drug of abuse that is tested for and for which intervention, evaluation and mandatory treatment can occur in appropriate cases.

“Here, we understand that Mr. Kuznetsov has voluntarily sought help through the education and counseling program provided for in the NHL and NHLPA collective bargaining agreement and has agreed to a regular testing protocol relating to his involvement with that program.

“Mr. Kuznetsov has also agreed to an in-person meeting with Commissioner Gary Bettman to discuss his situation and review his conduct prior to the start of Training Camp preceding the 2019-20 season. We intend to reserve further comment on any additional actions that may or may not be taken with respect to today’s announcement (disciplinary or otherwise) pending the completion of the Commissioner’s meeting with Mr. Kuznetsov.”

ARLINGTON, Va. –  The Washington Capitals have released the following statement on Evgeny Kuznetsov:

“We are aware of the positive test result and related international sanction that has been imposed on Evgeny Kuznetsov. We are disappointed with this development and take this occurrence seriously. We understand that Evgeny has voluntarily sought help through the education and counseling program provided for in the NHL/NHLPA collective bargaining agreement and has agreed to a regular testing protocol relating to his involvement with that program. In addition, we are committed to ensuring he has the necessary support required to work through this situation. We will remain in contact with the NHL as they determine the next steps. Because of the sensitive nature surrounding this matter, there will be no further comment from us at this time.”

Washington Capitals forward Evgeny Kuznetsov has released the following statement:

“Recently, the IIHF notified me that, due to a positive test for a banned substance, I would be suspended from international competition for four years. I have made the decision to accept this penalty. Representing my country has always been so close to my heart and something I take so much pride in. Not being able to put that sweater on for four years is very hard to take. I have disappointed so many people that are important to me, including my family, teammates and friends. From the first day I took the ice in D.C., the Washington Capitals organization and our fans have been nothing but great to me and my family. I feel absolutely terrible for letting you down. I realize that the only way I can win you back is to take ownership of my situation and my actions from this point forward.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evgeny+kuznetsov

Comments

Paul's avatar

I am sure we will be hearing from the Caps and perhaps the NHL, I will just add it to this post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/23/19 at 09:17 AM ET

What kind of idiot does Coke and then volunteering plays at the worlds after the season is over?  Sheesh!  Talk about a train wreck.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 08/23/19 at 09:22 AM ET

Paul's avatar

via the Washington Post,

Earlier this summer, a video of Kuznetsov sitting next to two lines of white powder circulated on social media, and Kuznetsov subsequently denied the use of any drugs. Both the Capitals and the NHL issued statements in late May accepting Kuznetsov’s explanation and deemed the matter “formally closed.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/23/19 at 09:27 AM ET

Cokeheads making bad decisions? WHO’D HAVE THUNK IT?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/23/19 at 09:33 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Statement from Bill Daly added to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/23/19 at 09:33 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Statement from the Caps and Kuznetsov added to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/23/19 at 09:43 AM ET

Colossal Cap Hit's avatar

For reference’s sake, according to americanaddictioncenters.org

After last use, cocaine or its metabolites typically can show up on a blood or saliva test for up to 2 days, a urine test for up to 3 days, and a hair test for months to years. A heavy user can test positive on a urine test for up to 2 weeks. stays in a person’s system. But other factors can influence how long it stays in someone’s body, such as metabolism, weight, dose, and frequency of use. Drinking while taking cocaine may also slow its elimination from the body.

IIHF doping control takes urine and/or blood samples.

Posted by Colossal Cap Hit on 08/23/19 at 10:15 AM ET

Hmmm, wonder if the NHL will suspend him. Minimum 20 games and drug councelling is the least I would give. NHL will probably do nothing as they think there’s no drug problem with the players…oh my!!

Posted by Stump23 on 08/25/19 at 03:59 PM ET

Or because he wasn’t caught by the NHL.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/25/19 at 07:37 PM ET