If Your Team Is Out, Who Are You Rooting For?

from Mike Boone of the Montreal Gazette,

As adoptions go, picking a Stanley Cup contender, after your favourite team has been eliminated, is easier than bringing home a new dog.

For openers, there’s less of a commitment. Depending on the age at adoption, you can have a four-legged friend for anywhere up to 15 years.

The Stanley Cup final, on the other hand, will be played in early June. If your adopted team makes it, we’re talking eight weeks, max. It’s a spring fling – longer than a Kim Kardashian marriage, much shorter than the love affair that develops with man’s best friend.

Plus you can be fickle.

Pick a team for the opening round. If they’re eliminated, transfer your loyalty for the conference semifinal round. If those guys die, lather, rinse and repeat for the final two rounds.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Nobody. It was bad enough seeing most of Canada cheer against a Canadian team last year, so no chance I’m going to join another team’s bandwagon.

Posted by Mike from Toronto on 04/23/12 at 07:19 PM ET

Chet's avatar

i’m a wings fan, but that didn’t pan out. i live in LA, so the kings are my new favorite in the west.

in the east, it’s ottawa for no reason other than they’re young and mclean’s the coach. i also have them at 30-1 to win the cup at aria. seemed a lark at the time but why not…

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/23/12 at 07:56 PM ET

Chet's avatar

(i made the ottawa bet back when they were 6th or 7th in the east. sometime in feb when i was in vegas…)

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/23/12 at 07:57 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Ottawa because it’s Alfredssons last ride. In the west, LA, because StL sucks, Chicago hasn’t earned it, and Weber doesn’t deserve it.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/23/12 at 08:13 PM ET

The Kings. Can’t help but enjoy watching Quick.

Posted by Moocat on 04/23/12 at 08:16 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Ottawa.  Alfredson has been the quintessential loyal soldier, and Paul McLean is a great guy.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/23/12 at 08:17 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I should have said also that I wouldn’t mind a Rangers Sens rematch for the cup, cause the series has been dynamite.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/23/12 at 08:18 PM ET

I’m spending the rest of the first round rooting against teams I hate (the joy I had at Vancouver and Pittsburgh losing was more intense than the disappointment I had in Detroit losing…yeah, I know, VERY petty) and against New Jersey (because them losing makes it more possible that Parise signs with Detroit in the off-season).

Overall, I’m hoping for an LA/Philly final.  There’s nobody else in the West that I can cheer for, so LA is the default, and Philly because I think it would be great if Phily dumped Richards and Carter, picked up a star goalie and made it to the finals again only to lose to Richards and Carter.

Posted by Garth on 04/23/12 at 08:24 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Florida v. Nashville. Just to see how few people watch.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/23/12 at 08:25 PM ET

In the East, Caps or Panthers. (Or at least, anyone but the Flyers)

In the West, Nashville or Chicago.

Can you tell that I don’t really care as long as it’s good hockey? (and not the Flyers)

Posted by penguinsfan on 04/23/12 at 08:29 PM ET

More than likely whoever comes out of the west.  Philly losing is all that matters at this point

Posted by tbassett on 04/23/12 at 08:58 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m rooting for every star on remaining teams to be out after a headshot.  This is what the NHL deserves.

Posted by Primis on 04/23/12 at 10:17 PM ET

I’m rooting for Brendan Shanahan to trip down a flight of stairs, clip Wyshynski while he’s holding a plate of nachos, and have the both of them fall on Bettman at the bottom.

This has been an unenjoyable playoffs.  I don’t think I’m asking for too much.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/23/12 at 10:44 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Florida v. Nashville. Just to see how few people watch.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/23/12 at 07:25 PM ET

Even though the thought of the Stanley Cup landing in the state of Tennessee makes me sick, it would be funny to see Little Gary get exactly what he deserves: A SCF with only 50,000 on the entire North American continent watching.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/23/12 at 11:57 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

not rooting for any team per say, but will enjoy the Inbredators being knocked out.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/24/12 at 03:59 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Ottawa. MacLean, Spezza and Neil have my support. It seems like yesterday I was watching Chris Neil skate for the Griffins. Keeping the flies off.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/24/12 at 09:29 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Well, none of the Western teams really interest me but if I had to pick one, I guess LA since I’ve been predicting great things from that team for years (and of course this year, I didn’t predict them to do anything and see what happens?).  I do love Kopitar and Quick.

In the East - pulling for the Caps and the Rangers.  Just not the Bruins or the Flyers ever.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/24/12 at 11:58 AM ET