If Daryl Reaugh Was A General Manager

from Razor With An Edge,

But if I was given a voice here’s what I would table for discussion and dismissal.

Trapezoidal Areas
It never worked. Whoever came up with it didn’t understand geometry, or modern goaltenders, or game flow.

Kicking Motion
This needs to be rewritten to say, “…as long as the players skate never leaves the ice, good goal”

Permitted Icing During Penalty Kills
A team should be fully penalized for an infraction, not ‘partially’. You can’t ice it during even strength play so why permit it when you’ve done something delinquent?! Duh.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

redxblack's avatar

The kicking motion issue is definitely too vague to be called consistently. However, skate blade contact with the ice would be much the same. Perhaps a better rule would allow kicking outside of the crease. The idea behind the restriction is to keep people from throwing sharp blades around other people’s limbs. Open ice kicks would be good goals.

Or treat the feet like the hands and do not allow redirects off of skates or gloves.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/12/12 at 12:45 PM ET

I honestly think that the kicking rule as written is pretty fair.  The problem is that the “war room” just isn’t consistent enough.  I don’t think a player should be able to kick it in at all, from anywhere on the ice.  Just get the refs and replay people to call it right and there’s no problem.

I do agree with him about icing on the PK.  I’ve never agreed with this rule and frankly I don’t undertand it.  You’re being penalized for breaking a rule, why should a different rule be abandoned while you’re being penalized?  Either both teams can ice it or neither team can, but a penalized team should not be allowed to do it.

Posted by Garth on 03/12/12 at 12:54 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& the people who employ this buffoon should be fired

Posted by Evilpens on 03/12/12 at 01:35 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Quoting Evilpens:

& the people who employ this buffoon should be fired

Good grief! Imagine agreeing with this guy!  Buffoon is perhaps too kind a description of Reaugh.  He wants to be another Don Cherry.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 03/12/12 at 01:43 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

6.) Overtime
Necessary for playoffs, unnecessary for the regular season. For the first 82 lets just play 60 minutes for two points and then, if tied, go straight to a 5-man Shootout. Save some wear and tear, and save our fans from more intermissions and confusing standings.

Uh…..no.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 03/12/12 at 02:50 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

What wonderful ideas. NOT

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/12/12 at 06:19 PM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

If you want the red line gone give me a viable alternative before everything reverts back to the mid 90s.  And don’t tell me the refs will call obstruction, interference etc more, we all know that is beyond BS.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 03/12/12 at 07:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The three ideas posted here are ones I wouldn’t mind seeing.

Overall, I agree with Razor about 6/10 of these ideas.  When I don’t agree with him, I disagree vehemently.  Isn’t that just the way though?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/12/12 at 07:48 PM ET