If

- If I was a fan of the Vancouver Canucks, I would be embarrassed by what is going on right now.  The way GM Mike Gillis has handled the goaltending situation would have me calling for his dismissal.

- If I were an Ottawa Senators fan and just saw my captain walk away, I would want to hear more from owner Eugene Melnyk.  Actually I would demand he give full details of what happened.

- If I were a fan of the Boston Bruins, I would be asking the people in the media why the "Seguin stories" did not come out until after he was traded.

- If I were a Red Wings fan without a blog, I would not be worried about re-signing a player who had stats like this in his last 25 regular season games: 2G, 8A, -4.

- If I am a Florida Panthers fan and heard my GM say "Another youth movement", I would throw my hands up in the air.

- If I am a Phoenix Coyotes fan, I am looking over my shoulder, waiting to see something from the Goldwater Institute.

- If the NHL wants me to watch more of the NHL Network, their programming needs fixing. Too many repeats, not nearly enough live coverage geared towards the dedicated NHL fan in the US.  If money is an issue, it is up to the NHL to start throwing money and resources to improve the network.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul,

I really like these short comments and key questions you provide. Thanks

Posted by timbits on 07/06/13 at 01:46 PM ET

- If I were a fan of the Boston Bruins, I would be asking the people in the media why the “Seguin stories” did not come out until after he was traded.

Because that’s the move in Boston in all sports.  Once a guy leaves town he gets crucified with all the stuff the media sat on while he was there.  Manny Ramirez, Terry Francona and pretty much all of that World Series team got crushed when they left.  Doc Rivers will be getting the jump out as he leaves town, and hey… it must have come as a huge shock to the Pats what a lowlife Hernandez was.

- If I am a Florida Panthers fan

- If I am a Phoenix Coyotes fan,

You get what you deserve, especially if you take your fandom even slightly seriously.

When you find out that Dan Cleary had 4 goals and 4 assists with a -3 over his last 29 regular season games, does that change your degree of enthusiasm about bringing him back?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/06/13 at 01:57 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Understand HHD on Cleary, but getting many more emails from readers regarding Brunner than Cleary.

Thought I would let others know just in case…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/06/13 at 02:00 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

I like the NHL Network and think they have some good shows.  NHL Tonight, NHL 36 and other shows are pretty decent and worth watching.  However, I know that many, many times there have been 6 or 8 games being played on a certain night and I turn to NHLN and they are showing reruns of Oil Change or some other stupid show.  If this is the premier network of the NHL, why are they not showing at least one of the games?

I think the concern about Brunner is his expected improvement as a player.  Lots of potential upside there.  Cleary is on the downside, Brunner is on the upside.  That’s the difference IMO.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 07/06/13 at 02:04 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Doc actually has gotten a bit of a free pass, which is amusing because he’s left in the most underhanded way of any of those you mentioned (their treatment of Francona was borderline criminal).  The very few who questioned Doc (Simmons) were pretty harshly shouted down by the rest of the media, or by Doc’s kids.  To be fair to him, Doc is kinda still viewed as one of the media’s guys and he’s always been great with them so he deserves some equity.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/06/13 at 02:34 PM ET

Great stuff, Paul.  In fact, I’d love to see more of this kind of thing—you clearly know the league inside-out, and some more editorializing like this would certainly draw my interest.

Also, as somebody who doesn’t currently have NHL Network (but did for a few years until 2012 due to no distribution on my cable system), I have to say that I don’t miss it as much as I thought I would.  Sure, highlights and all would be nice, but I prefer watching full games anyway on GameCenter Live.

And the new iteration of NHL Live doesn’t draw my interest nearly as much as the old call-in version with LaGreca and Hradek and guests and their much more compelling banter.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 07/06/13 at 03:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks n and I will try to do it more often and can’t agree more about EJ and Don.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/06/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 07/06/13 at 04:04 PM ET

True that. The old format was loose and viewer/fan friendly. The new and improved(sarcasm) format is uptight and corporate.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/06/13 at 03:51 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

in his last 25 regular season games: 2G, 8A, -4.[/quote]

Who was that?

Posted by pgoody on 07/06/13 at 05:55 PM ET

Paul's avatar

p, Brunner.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/06/13 at 06:14 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I so agree. When the network initially launched, it was innovative and interesting. But since then, it has grown dry and stale. They are airing the same shows from 2003. How many times do we need to see Oil Patch or the trade of Gretzky story. They are in dire need of new material. The only program worth watching is the morning highlight show. So much promise lost….

BTW, great post.