I Won’t Be Watching Any Hockey During The Lockout

For me, it is NHL games or bust.

I compare watching any other game, league, etc. to eating generic frosted flakes with soy milk.  It tastes the same to some, but to me, I can't stomach it.

I am not discouraging anyone from watching what they want, but I will find other things to do while waiting for the NHL to some day return.

I may even teach Bernie, my African Grey, to say "disgusting lockout", but even his walnut-sized brain knows that by now.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Too much other good hockey out there for me to not watch the game at all.

LSSU Lakers in the CCHA, Soo Greyhounds in the OHL, Soo Eagles in the NAHL…there is no shortage of hockey games to attend, which I will.

Having said that, I will dearly miss watching the Red Wings on cold winter nights, or tuning in to some intriguing game, whenever, on NHLCI.

And the fact there will be no Hockey Night in Canada to enjoy on a Saturday night with a cold beer and some pizza, well ,that may hurt most of all.

Thanks, you greedy bastards. Each and every one of you.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/02/12 at 01:41 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I live a half hour from an AHL arena, so I’ll be taking in the Griffs when they visit.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/02/12 at 01:48 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’ll be watching the Wolverines, when possible, and the Griffins, if I can afford the on line service.  And maybe the KHL on ESPN3 if they show Pav’s team.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/02/12 at 01:48 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I’m with you, Paul.

I guess the only hockey I’d watch besides the NHL would be some sort of international torunament, like the world juniors or something.

Posted by Ajax19 on 10/02/12 at 01:54 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I could see myself watching a college game, or maybe an OHL game, but I have little interest in watching AHL games or god forbid any replacement-player-filled NHL games.

There’s a lot of good stuff to do in life that don’t involve watching sports. Maybe we should be thanking the NHL for, yet again, allowing us to realize this.  rolleyes

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/02/12 at 02:19 PM ET

n past seasons, I’ve watched college hockey when there hasn’t been an NHL game on. I’ll continue to do that. But, there’s lots of good stuff available on On Demand, and I’ll probably poke around and catch up on movies and TV series that I’d let drop when I had NHL hockey available every day. (Once the World Series is over, of course.)

Posted by aqf on 10/02/12 at 02:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’ve already started watching KHL and European league games to follow the NHLers I love. I will supplement that with AHL games and some college games.

Right now I have the line drawn at replacement players. I love hockey and I enjoy watching the best hockey players in the world play.

My message to the NHL is this: I like watching hockey and I like watching the best in the world play hockey more than I care to watch whomever is filling your uniforms and your arenas.  I would very much like it if those things overlap, but when they do not, I pay my money to see them, not you.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/02/12 at 02:34 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

By the way, is that survey on FSD’s site already over, on having Griffins’ games on FSD?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/02/12 at 02:53 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’m 10 minutes from the Griffins and 45 minutes from Ferris State. I think that should be enough hawkey for me this year.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/02/12 at 03:20 PM ET

JBytes's avatar

Some people love the sport of hockey, others love NHL hockey.

Posted by JBytes on 10/02/12 at 04:03 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’ll take in whatever I can, but only in moderation.  Griffins games are a blast and I love the environment, especially for the price, but it is a bit of a drive for me.  Ferris is going to be televised on 3x on FSD, 2x on CBS Sports, and 1x on Comcast, so that’s pretty cool (considering I went there).

I’ve thought a lot about my time over recent months, and I have to admit I don’t mind having some time to spare going in to Oct, Nov, and Dec.  I’m usually going to watch 70+ regular season Wings games a year, not to mention other teams I will watch, which would probably account for an additional 4-8 games a week.  That time adds up.  Let’s conservatively say 70 games, 2.5 hours/game on average.  That is 175 hours, or 7.29167 straight days of hockey.  That is quite a bit of time focused on one individual team, in just the regular season.

Of course, I’m bored as crap in Jan and Feb, so that’s when I’ll regret ever being appreciate of the extra time I have now.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/02/12 at 04:32 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m so pumped to catch some Griffins games with Smith and Gus lagging back to go along with Andersson, Tatar, Mrazek and Jurco.

Also interested in watching some KHL just to watch open-ice hockey and see how much more skill comes through and how regularly it does with more time and space.

I have to admit, I like following players in college hockey but it’s difficult to watch a game and enjoy it most of the time for me.  The outdoor Michigan vs. OSU game in Cleveland was a cool experience but the watching of the game was probably the least exciting part.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/02/12 at 04:34 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

DVR TK, brings those games down to about 1h15m.. might save a day or so wink

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/02/12 at 04:38 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/02/12 at 04:38 PM ET

Ughhh if only I had the willpower to keep from looking at the live scores while taping!  Haha.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/02/12 at 04:54 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Forgot to add another way of dealing with the lockout: the NHL Vault.

I know, I know, the thoughts of giving the NHL anything more than the middle finger at this time is dangerous ground indeed; but this past Saturday I watched parts of the ‘75 Habs / Russia game, a 1980 game between the Colorado Rockies and the Leafs (one of Don Cherry’s first appearances on HNIC), and the Wings great comeback game against the Hurricanes last spring.

For 4.95 a month you get almost 900 archived games plus all of the NHL games played in the last four years.

Not a bad deal, really.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/02/12 at 05:24 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/02/12 at 04:54 PM ET

It’s a challenge.. not to look, to make sure you don’t overhear any sports updates, have to watch the sports updates on the radio..  I’m sure it’s a riot for others watching me navigate those landmines and god forbid someone ruins the final score for me, you’d think they shot my dog.  That’s why I’m never around for Master Chief’s Live Blogs.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/02/12 at 06:57 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Right now I have the line drawn at replacement players.

I agree. I’ll watch (or attend) whatever games I can, especially the Griffins. But the second Bettman puts scabs on the ice (nice visual there, huh), I’m going to root for the NHLPA players to form their own league.

I love and respect Mr. I and the Red Wings, but that love and respect will go right out the window if they help the Garden Gnome turn the NHL into a glorified beer league.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/02/12 at 07:07 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/02/12 at 07:07 PM ET

Amen to that

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/02/12 at 10:24 PM ET

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I have already taken in a WHL game when I was visiting Victoria, BC last weekend and just today I purchased tickets for four games in Abbotsford when the Canucks farm team visits (combined tickets for all five games cost less than premium Canucks seats, but I digress). If the lockout continues, the AHL is going to be stacked, and the games should be really good.

I realized when I was at the game in Victoria that I love the game more than I love the NHL.The sport on the ice is more important than the soap opera off of it, and I am happy for the reminder.

Posted by YouppiKiYay on 10/03/12 at 12:06 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I’ll be watching the Swedish elite league,KHL..and of course my ECHL team Florida Everblades..!!!.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/03/12 at 02:02 AM ET

soletrain's avatar

if the nhl gets replacement players i won’t watch it anymore. sf just got a hockey team and games will be cheap and tons of fun…at this point i could care less about the nhl. i’m done.

Posted by soletrain on 10/03/12 at 02:17 AM ET