I Wonder…

... Why Day 39 of the lockout feels like day 139?

... If those involved in the negotiations are losing sleep on a nightly basis like I am?

... If there is an NHL owner out there without enough guts to speak publicly on the lockout?  The owners certainly did not get to where they are now by not speaking their mind, yet as of tonight they all look like sheep in a herd.

... When are the media leaks are going to stop?  Knowledgeable fans can see right through them and casual fans are too busy simulating the season by using their thumbs.

... How many fans are going to say they are done with the NHL and mean it this time?

... Where is the voice of reason on both sides?  Someone must know what harm will be done if this lockout goes much longer.

... No, there is wondering on this one- Right now, the NHLPA would rather sit a full year (with the current NHL proposal) if it meant Gary Bettman was no longer in charge of the NHL.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Hang in there, Paul.

Posted by Michael Smith from New Jersey on 10/23/12 at 11:42 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I doubt it. Both of the “leaders” of the negotiations are set for life. They don’t need the salaries they “gave up” last month to survive. You, like many of those who hawked the beers and dogs and parked the cars, probably do.

So maybe Fehr loses a few minutes each night, but I’m guessing the Garden Gnome sleeps like the baby that he is.

Right now, I think the “fringe” fans are still hanging in there. And here’s a phone conversation I had the other day with a “fringe fan” friend of mine who lives in Detroit. It was right after you posted the notice about the Griffins game being broadcast on FSD this Friday.

Me: Hey, Michael. Friday night. Seven o’clock. FSD. Ken & Mickey. Hockey.

Michael: Really!!!!! Alright. I knew they’d settle.

Me: Um, Michael. It’s not the Wings. It’s the Griffins.

Michael: What?

Me: The lockout is still on. FSD is broadcasting a Griffins game on Friday.

Michael: What?

Me: It’s a Griffins game. Not a Wings game.

Michael: I should drive up there and punch you in the face.

So, the enthusiasm is still there. But the “rage” is just below the surface. Another month of a lockout and the Michaels out there won’t give a rat’s ass when or if NHL hockey season resumes.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/23/12 at 11:45 PM ET

Alan's avatar

If this thing isn’t worked out by the end of the week, then I hope it’s the last game of chess Gary plays as a NHL commissioner.

As for the question about the fans staying away, I’m not sure yet. I’m kind of in a holding pattern. If there is no agreement in place by the end of the week, I’m probably going to take a few steps back and be more “casual” for a while. I have a lot on my plate now as it is, particularly to do with finances (missing almost six months of work this year has absolutely killed me fiscally, and has put me in danger of losing the house).

This whole thing with the lockout is serving as amusement, for the most part. People demanding that the NHL make a deal, or people demanding that Fehr make a deal, or people just yelling for no other reason than the fact that everyone else is yelling. Back during the last lockout, I was unhappy with the lack of season. Now? I couldn’t care less. Wipe out the entire damn thing. Gives me more time to think about my own future, as opposed to the future of the league.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 10/23/12 at 11:54 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I will say, however, that I’ve been catching minor league games when I can, and intend on watching whatever Griffins games are streamed online. With as much stuff as I’m dealing with right now, I’m still interested in the Detroit farm team.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 10/23/12 at 11:59 PM ET

... If there is an NHL owner out there without enough guts to speak publicly on the lockout?  The owners certainly did not get to where they are now by not speaking their mind, yet as of tonight they all look like sheep in a herd.

There are owners who want to be playing right no but they are being bullied by Bettman and group of 6 owners. Only an big name owner like Doan or IItich should come out publicly calling for this to end.

Posted by FlyersFan on 10/24/12 at 12:18 AM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

<i>“I wonder if there is an NHL owner out there without enough guts to speak publicly on the lockout?”<i>

Well Paul ... if there was an owner that <i>should<i> have the balls to say something I would expect it to be Mario Lemieux.

What part of the Penguins he still owns I’m not sure but, If Bettman had half a brain and gave half a shit, he’d use Mario as a peacekeeper while the negotiations drag on.  Could he have a calming effect on the rabid fans totally frustrated by yet another lockout ??  If I were commissioner I’d give it a shot.

I’d also think Gretzky would have said something by now if it weren’t for the $6 mil. law suit he has going for back pay from the league ... good luck with that.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 10/24/12 at 01:27 AM ET

Owners aren’t going to come out against this because a deal that takes the NHLPA from 57% to 50% immediately makes them all a lot more money.  A 10-12% reduction in the ceiling means 7-10 mil a year less in player costs per team.  Over a 6 year deal that’s 42-60 mil per team.

Also, I’m not entirely sure Illtch can speak unaided.  That’s not a joke.

The thing is, while I think Bettman is a borderline incompetent when he steps down… who steps in?  I think you guys might be wildly overestimating how attractive the job of NHL commissioner is, and the level of person who would be willing to take the job.

I mean, Bettman was the #3 guy at the NBA when he came over.  The third guy from the third sport.

I’d imagine there’s a significant chance Daly gets the gig next as the longtime lieutenant.  It wouldn’t surprise me.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/24/12 at 05:40 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

The NHL commissioner is an attractive job if it is offered on the same terms Bettman has. Bettman has excellent pay and incredible job security. For that combination, there will always be someone willing to deal with the stress of it.

On the fans, fans can only leave if they ever existed. Most people in America don’t even know the NHL exists until January anyhow. An even then, they don’t really consider giving it much real attention until after the Super Bowl. If it weren’t for the gap between NCAAF conference seasons ending and bowl season starting, with the NFL schedule thinning as a result of playoff season, I don’t think most folks would have much of a clue about the NHL until February.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/24/12 at 10:16 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

No matter what, I won’t be attending a single NHL game this year. I also will not pony up for the center ice/gamecenter. I’ll look for illegal feeds. This league is fine with stealing from fans and players and I don’t feel I owe them anything. Needless to say, I won’t be buying any NHL licensed anything for the foreseeable future. I love this sport and hate this league, not because of the product they produce, but because of the way the run the best sport product available. It ought to be criminal.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/24/12 at 10:49 AM ET