Howson Talks Nash

from David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail,

The gloves came off Monday in what had been a civilized divorce proceeding between Rick Nash and the Columbus Blue Jackets.

After failing to get his price for the unhappy star forward by the 3 p.m. Eastern time NHL trade deadline, Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson revealed it was Nash who asked for a trade. Until then, it was assumed the Blue Jackets were the ones who reluctantly came to the decision it was best for their rebuilding plan to trade Nash.

Nash did nothing to persuade anyone otherwise until the weekend when his agent, Joe Resnick, said they hoped a trade would be completed by Monday’s deadline. Resnick also put pressure on Howson to complete the trade by saying Nash would not change the short list of teams he agreed to be traded to by this summer when more teams might be willing to meet Howson’s price.

“[Nash] approached us and asked us to consider trading him,” Howson said. “We agreed as long as we could obtain the cornerstone pieces to build our franchise.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Howson is quickly becoming the Matt Millen of NHL GMs.  If I were a Jackets fan, I’d be in full force “Fire Howson” mode.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/27/12 at 09:33 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

That whole OrganIzation is a Cluster%$% from top on down

Posted by Evilpens on 02/27/12 at 09:51 PM ET

Maybe I’m just a bitter Sens fan still angry about Heatley, but I think if a player with a no movement clause asks for a trade, it should be null and avoid and the team should be able to trade him anywhere.

Posted by Chris from Ottawa on 02/27/12 at 10:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Chris from Ottawa on 02/27/12 at 07:08 PM ET

As a non-bitter non-Sens fan who didn’t really like how Heatley conducted himself in that situation, I’d say I agree with you.

You either have a no-trade clause and the power to poo-poo deals or you ask for a trade and go wherever you’re sent.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/27/12 at 10:10 PM ET

That actually makes a lot of sense and would make things go a lot smoother for the gm in these type of situation.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/27/12 at 11:12 PM ET

does Howson realize that he just completely killed any trade value that Nash still had?  When the other GM knows the player wants out, any leverage they had goes out the window.

Posted by Chris on 02/28/12 at 12:03 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I can’t see a single thing Howson gains the BHs by vilifying Nash.  Not a single thing.

It seems like he’s giving up on saving his job and is in full, “see, my position sucked, not my fault.” mode, right?

Man, I hope they keep this guy forever.  With the other teams in the division being so good, it’s nice having these guys be such a joke.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/28/12 at 12:29 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

And by “this guy”, I mean Howson (who will clearly be canned soon), not Nash.  I don’t feel anything but pity for Nash.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/28/12 at 12:38 AM ET

I would like to see them trade Nash to Toronto. The incestuous media would eat Mr. Boring alive.  As for Columbus, this is a cluster F&ck; organization. Unfortunatley it will probably result in the loss of the franchise.

Posted by timbits on 02/28/12 at 12:41 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Nash to Wings in 2013. BJ’s to Quebec. Howson to the NBA.

Posted by The Hurricane on 02/28/12 at 04:10 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

I think both Chris and J.J. are very fair. The purpose of a NTC as I see it is to protect the player from being traded from an organization he wants to be with. If the team comes to him and says “we want to send you to Florida/Detroit/Toronto/Columbus/Anaheim/wherever” and you don’t want to leave, you say no and that’s it.

If the player says “I changed my mind about leaving, I really DO want to get off this team” then the NTC should be lifted without any limitations on the team and he can be traded wherever. It seems fair to me.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 02/28/12 at 07:05 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Howson just killed NHL hockey in Columbus.

If I’m a Jackets fan, I’m already evaluating what other NHL team I’m going to need to pick up and follow, because the Jackets won’t be there now more than a year, two tops.

Seriously, CBS is a sorry team anyways, and now after that display how could you possibly ever get anyone to sign and play there?  Just call Columbus “Edmonton South”.

Posted by Primis on 02/28/12 at 10:03 AM ET