How Would You Feel If Jack Edwards Was Your Home Play-By-Play Man?

Video via PuckDaddy...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jack+edwards

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Primis's avatar

I’d want to shoot myself and listen to radio feeds with the TV muted.

There have been some bad, bad announcers over the years (The Capitals’ announcers in the late 80’s, early 90’s were AWFUL), but Edwards is just a raging jackass all about himself.

I’ll remind everyone once again, ESPN fired Edwards because he would not stop just this sort of stuff.  That he would end up on NESN is completely unsurprising since they usually have awful announcers for all their sporting events…

Posted by Primis on 04/19/11 at 01:55 PM ET

Twig's avatar

i’d never give up ken and mick, but jack edwards is outstanding.

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 04/19/11 at 02:01 PM ET

That was absolutely Horrible.  It was beyond bad.  Where did this guy learn radio, at the local arena calling beer league games?  Sorry, that was uncalled for, the beer league guys never did me wrong.

What do you expect from Boston though?

I’d take Ken and Mickey with no teeth and a drooping lip over these two clowns.

Posted by MTL_WINGS from Montreal on 04/19/11 at 02:02 PM ET

Jack Edwards is by far the BEST play by play man out there right now!  I love the fact that everybody outside of Boston hates his style.  I can’t stand watching the Bruins games that are broadcast on Versus simply because it’s not the same without Jack & Brick.  He brings so much energy to the game that none of those talking heads on Versus or NHL network can seem to muster.

Posted by Ecllipse from Hudson, MA on 04/19/11 at 02:04 PM ET

edillac's avatar

sucks

Posted by edillac from isolation on 04/19/11 at 02:07 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I’d hate to hear him in a loss.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/19/11 at 02:08 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I know everybody generally loves their home team broadcasters, but it gets to a point where being a homer is just embarrassing.  Ken and Mick seem to keep it tasteful (as self indulgent as that remark probably appears).

I’m reminded of a quote from the old Wings broadcaster Paul Martyn in which he stated that he considered it his responsibility to simply report the game to the fans, not to cheer lead.  The sports world would be a lot more objective and sportsmanlike if more journalists took that approach (like the fine individual’s on this site).

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/19/11 at 02:12 PM ET

Funny how all the people that say he’s horrible are Montreal and Detroit fans…. interesting

Posted by Ecllipse from Hudson, MA on 04/19/11 at 02:15 PM ET

Eclipse, if you are referring to me, then you’re wrong, I’m a Wings Fan from Montreal.  Not sure what Detroit has to do with not liking him though.

Posted by MTL_WINGS from Montreal on 04/19/11 at 02:19 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Ecllipse from Hudson, MA on 04/19/11 at 01:15 PM ET

No, funny how the ONLY defender he has so far is a Bruins homer…

Posted by Primis on 04/19/11 at 02:20 PM ET

clownfat's avatar

I think they are horrible and I’m not a fan of Detroit or Montreal. Funny how the only people that think he is okay is… uhm… you.

Posted by clownfat on 04/19/11 at 02:22 PM ET

Ian!'s avatar

I’m a Detroit fan living in Boston and I think he’s great. GET UP!!!

Posted by Ian! from Baltimore, MD on 04/19/11 at 02:27 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I heard that last night and actually turned away from the game.  I have no vested interest in who wins that series (other than my silly playoff hockey pool) but it really turned me off.  I was disappointed that Center Ice did not offer a Canadian feed and the only choice was NESN.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/19/11 at 02:28 PM ET

Ian!'s avatar

Here’s the real question, although it might not mean that much on a hockey blog:

who’s worse: Edwards or Hawk Harrelson?

I’ll take Edwards any day in that matchup….

GET UP!!!!

Posted by Ian! from Baltimore, MD on 04/19/11 at 02:32 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I’m used to Jack Edwards being a joke, but usually it’s a funny joke and I fully expect Jack to be Jack ... no different than going to the circus and expecting to see clowns.

Last night was just ludicrous and awkward though. Came across as a completely petty, biased, uneducated fan screaming from the cheap seats.

Posted by SK77 on 04/19/11 at 02:37 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

Ian, I’ll take Door #3 (death.)

Posted by Stevis on 04/19/11 at 02:42 PM ET

Actually, I don’t mind Jack Edwards; I find him entertaining.  While I would still prefer Ken and Mick, I’m reminded of the fact that these guys are entertainers in addition to being color men.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/19/11 at 02:44 PM ET

He is my home broadcaster and I’m thrilled with it.

He entertains. That is his job as an announcer and he does it well.  Brick does the educating and Jack does the entertaining… can’t ask for more.

Posted by Doh on 04/19/11 at 03:02 PM ET

perfection's avatar

as a Chicago residing Wings fan with the NHLLive package, I have watched a TON of away game announcers over the past several years and while I agree that Edwards is no Ken Daniels (or several other much better announcers), his attitude is perfect for Boston and he’s at least competent and knowledgeable enough to hold his own in an original 6 market (as opposed to let’s say calling a certain player “Zetterman…” for 2 and a half periods).

There are some really brutally AWFUL announcers out there - Nashville and Anaheim being two that tend to make me shudder - but the list definitely goes on. I don’t think Edwards is anywhere near that caliber of bad. He’s fine… kind of funny, but pretty annoying too.

Boston can definitely keep him. I already have my hands more than full here with all of the douche-ladened “Edzo” Olzxcsdfxyxyc that I’m forced to suffer through - most of the national games and all of the local Hawks games. ugh.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/11 at 03:03 PM ET

Bosephus's avatar

Tally another vote against him.  While I appreciate his enthusiasm, he takes it too far at times and actually diminishes my enjoyment of the broadcast.  I’m glad my exposure to his over the top homerism is pretty limited.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 04/19/11 at 03:18 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

He’s a homer but at least an entertaining one whereas the jokers that call Pens games are just pathetic homers.

I still want to shove rusty screwdrivers in my ears when I hear him though.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/19/11 at 03:28 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

What is it with Boston announcers and the word “gutless”?

They’ve been using that one since the days of Johnny Most.

That said, dude is entertaining so I’ll give him that.  The one bummer about these announcers is that their rips on the opposition can do a 180 in the modern FA era.  It’d be even more comical to hear him call Pouillet’s first game as a Bruin.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/19/11 at 03:37 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Jack Edwards is a homer, of that there is no doubt.  I watch a lot of Bruins games, and while he can be annoying, it’s usually only in the playoffs that he gets so over-the-top ridiculous (anybody else remember the Edmund Fitzgerald comment from last year?).  Most of the time I find him hilariously funny, and I enjoy listening to him.

I actually prefer watching the NESN feed if I am watching them play anyone other than Detroit, because while Edwards annoys me sometimes, I really like Brick.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 04/19/11 at 03:41 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

you could Have Paul Steigerwald replacing Hall of Famer Mike Lange sick

Posted by Evilpens on 04/19/11 at 03:56 PM ET

I’ll venture to say that Jack Edwards is even worse than our Steigy and Errey.  And that’s saying a lot.

Posted by Geno71 on 04/19/11 at 04:15 PM ET

Wings fan here.  He can be over-the-top homerish but I find him entertaining.

Posted by loojay on 04/19/11 at 05:35 PM ET

Habs fans are cute. Go call 911 or start a riot. I’d be embarrassed to gave a team so well known for diving

Posted by Oh oh on 04/19/11 at 05:36 PM ET

Boston fan here:
My take on Ewdards is that he is a homer but he does his job and that is to make bruins fans happy and excited about the game if that means going a little nuts by yelling and screaming go ahead as long as he doesn’t do anything ridicoulus (spelt that wrong) Hes alright in my book and most of us bruins fans love him

Posted by David from Haverhill, MA on 04/19/11 at 05:42 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

That was actually pretty funny. I’d take that over the half of NHL announcers that serve as prescriptions for sleeplessness.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/19/11 at 05:45 PM ET

Not a Bruins fan or Detroit fan or a Habs fan.  Is he the worst announcer out there?  I think so.  He’s not only over the top, he’s simply wrong much of the time not to mention that he’s a hypocrite.  I’m glad he and Brickley are on the same team because then I can avoid them both simply by turning off the Bruins.

Posted by freewillig from Minneapolis on 04/19/11 at 05:51 PM ET

Well the Last great hockey announcers I remember for the Boston Bruins were Fred Cusick and for WSBK and later NESN.  WBZ had Bob Wison. these were iconic. I think Jack does one heck of a job. the big reason he is a true Bruins fan. If am marketing a product to my fans I want someone who creates emotion. as Musician in my mind no doubt Jack delivers.Even a more important quality is the fact if the Bruins play like garbage Guess what he will call them on it . No sugar coating.I think in the big picture this guy is doing a heck of a job. He is articulate colorful and most of all honest from the heart passion.The next guy I find behind him is John Forslund. If you want to hear who real lamers are I will wait til that is the question pops up.

Posted by wncpuckdrop@ Facebook from Asheville,NC on 04/19/11 at 05:52 PM ET

Awesome. The Habs have lost a lot of that “aura” that follows the team around, and it’s thanks to the Chara hit. After that, there was so much scrutiny on the Montreal franchise, now EVERYBODY knows exactly what they do. They whine, they dive, and they throw gutless body checks. It’s been going on since, well, since they burnt their city down due to a suspension of a player.
And, often times, as the hit Pouliot attempted had MUCH MORE INTENT THAN CHARA COULD EVER MUSTER, they get awfully good officiating at home.
Bricks and Edwards are right on the money. You people that want generic bullshit announcing can stick with Dick Irvin.

Posted by Cam on 04/19/11 at 06:11 PM ET

While any educated hockey fan gets tired of him really quickly he is perfect for the simpleton Boston fans.

Posted by slammer2010 on 04/19/11 at 06:16 PM ET

He’s the Bruins announcer… what do you expect?  Maybe you’d like your home announcers to show a little more passion for their teams perhaps?  Just watch another stations feed if you don’t like Edwards.  I have to watch CBC in Canada… and let me tell you, they’re JUST as biased… maybe a bit less blatant about it.  I find Edwards and Brickley compliment each other very well.  Ones a little crazy and the other reels the crazy back a bit.  Fun stuff!  I was watching the local broadcast of a Nashville game a couple weeks ago… almost fell asleep!!!  Thought I was watching a baseball game…. boring… zzzzzzz….

Posted by Rex Banner on 04/19/11 at 07:28 PM ET

Lighten up! Jack, is awsome, after all, it is entertainment!!

Posted by Chris from New Hampshire on 04/19/11 at 08:24 PM ET

Hockey is my Number one sport. I watch a lot of the Bruins cause they are all that is on (NESN) VS does games to but it is always Detroit vs someone else! I remember we use to get the Habs on the French channel. We would turn down the volume and watch the game. Don’t speak French. Bruins announcers are the worst I have seen and heard in a long time. Edwards is a jackass and a terrible announcer. Brinkley just repeats the play and doesn’t say anything but the obvious. He is a little better to take than Edwards. Bruins are not my favorite team but I like them but I can’t stand their announcers. Like watching the Celtics with Hinesman or what ever his name is. The ld coach of the Celtiics who is also a jackass.

Posted by batcai from Fairfield, Maine on 04/19/11 at 09:54 PM ET

Worst jobs in America:  Golden Triangle employee, Mrs. Jack Edwards, Mrs. Paul Steigerwald…  Daily acid baths and prayers for a coma are some of the many hazzards.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 04/19/11 at 10:19 PM ET

batcai writes, “Brinkley just repeats the play and doesn’t say anything but the obvious.”

Guess that makes you a jackass as well. Andy Brickley, not “Brinkley, is regarded as one of the best analyst’s in the game. Your opinion of him is ignorant at best. NESN had a very good play by play announcer prior to Edwards in Dale Arnold. I dont know a Bruins fan that enjoys listening to Jack Edward’s rants. He knows very little about the game and most often sounds like a hysterical little girl.

Posted by Peter from Massachusetts on 04/19/11 at 10:29 PM ET

K24's avatar

Wow, I thought we had it bad with Joe Micheletti.  That was beyond unprofessional.

Posted by K24 from NYC on 04/19/11 at 10:57 PM ET

Just listen to Bob Cole. He is the only blind announcer on TV and he is CANADIAN - something of which we are very proud -  (especially as he calls Montreal games for English Canada.  He is a great story teller of fiction. Any Montreal hit that does not draw a penalty is described as a “clean hit” or a “great hit” and any hit against a Montreal player is described as the opposition as “getting away with one there”.  The guy is AWFUL - in his dotage - a HOMER -should be in the Iliad.

Posted by Sean from Toronto on 04/20/11 at 11:41 AM ET