How Slow Is It?

I have people emailing, tweeting, asking for hockey news.

Well, here you go, the biggest news of the day…

via Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun,

It appears the Winnipeg Jets have lost the services of depth defenceman Arturs Kulda.

Kulda, who turns 24 later this month, was a restricted free agent and has signed with Sibir Novosibirsk of the Kontinental Hockey League, according to the team’s website.

Kulda, a seventh round (200th overall) draft pick of the Atlanta Thrashers in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, had no points in nine games with the Jets last season and six goals and 20 points in 63 games with the St. John’s IceCaps of the American Hockey League.

Okay, now go and enjoy this summer, it will get busy soon enough.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Winnipeg Jets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Keyser S.'s avatar

Yes! Finally! I’m not sure who this kulda guy is, but I’m going to start doing my research on this right away. **putting glasses on, grabbing a cup of coffee, in front of computer with super serious look on my face**

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/15/12 at 04:34 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

thanks for keeping us updated on this very important news Paul. Not sure I would have lived with myself not knowing that Kulda was available.  Maybe he would make a nice replacement for Norris Nick. Seeing he had 20 pts in the AHL, I think he would fit in perfectly. You the man Paul

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 07/15/12 at 05:26 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Is this where I took the KK horn? Look, folks, I know it’s slow, but it’s not for a lack of trying on Paul’s part or my part.

Over the past couple of summers, I’ve learned that to at least some extent, this time of year is harder than the regular season in terms of workload, wear, tear and especially stress. At least you know that news will happen during the regular season: in the middle of the summer, you still have to get up and grind the day out, looking and looking and searching for some sort of substantive news, and when you finally get up and leave your computer at 10 PM on a Friday night in July, bam, RDS’s Renaud Lavoie posts the specific details of the NHL’s CBA proposal.

It feels like constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop, and while Paul knows how to relax better than I do, I can at least say that the summer news cycle makes me kind of jittery and paranoid. Going into this week, for example, I’ve got to lug the mom to some appointments on Wednesday and Thursday, and given my luck with big news breaking when I’m away from my laptop, the Wings will announce their decision regarding Tomas Holmstrom’s future at that time.

It’s a very strange summertime siege, and to some extent the more regular hours and regular news cycles of the NHL from October to April are easier to deal with.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/15/12 at 06:17 PM ET

So an RFA signs with the KHL. So much for that recently renewed NHL/KHL “memorandum of understanding.”

Posted by BobTheZee on 07/15/12 at 07:03 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

I thought paul was kinda being funny. And my lack of anything hockey related recently caused me to go into overdrive with this kulda character (sarcasm). If I offended anybody, it wasn’t my intent. It’s not Paul’s fault it’s slow.

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/15/12 at 07:33 PM ET

@BobZ: Kulda was a restricted free agent, meaning not under contract, so he’s free to go. Otherwise, players under 27 (w/ current CBA rules) who signed an NHL contract would be stuck in North America despite not being under contract. KHL restricted free agency is different and was outlined here http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Breaking-the-shackles-of-restricted-free-agency-?urn=nhl-178394 .

Posted by Dave on 07/15/12 at 07:51 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Keyser S., I was and would have never reported news like that on any day, but people were requesting news so I gave it to them.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/15/12 at 08:40 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Having a heavy work load beats the sheiot outta having little to do.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/15/12 at 09:14 PM ET

PenguinJuice's avatar

This time of year sucks, the only news left is of a trade or two that will not happen for a few months, a few scrubs jumpin to the KHL for loot, and waiting for updates to find out when the season will be locked out.

Posted by PenguinJuice on 07/15/12 at 11:26 PM ET

Primis's avatar

How the heck has Kulda not latched on in Winnipeg or somewhere else?

He’s a good-sized d-man that is physical, and put up decent offensive numbers (for a defense-first guy) in the AHL.

Considering some of the overpaid garbage that continues to float around attached to an NHL roster bluelines, you’d think he’d have gotten more of a shot somewhere.

Posted by Primis on 07/16/12 at 01:20 AM ET

Bosephus's avatar

Maybe Doan will bring some news tomorrow.  Probably not…

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 07/16/12 at 04:38 AM ET

Alan's avatar

As someone who watched him play a few games in Atlanta (and he performed admirably, I thought), I wish him the best of luck in his new country.

He deserved more of a shot than he got in Winnipeg. They’re losing their depth guys and not really getting much back via FA.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/16/12 at 04:39 AM ET

@Dave:  Thanks, got it.  (I think.)

Posted by BobTheZee on 07/16/12 at 01:32 PM ET