Hossa With A Major For Boarding

Little did Marian Hossa know that after this five minute penalty for boarding, the Hawks would score late to tie their game with Nashville.

Then, after killing off over three minutes of that penalty in OT, it would be Hossa who would get the game winner after coming out of the penalty box.

No video of the goal yet, but watch the boarding penalty he took.

added 6:57pm, Watch Hossa’s OT goal below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marian+hossa

Comments

The guy is a curse.  He almost cost the Hawks the game.  Wonder if he will get suspended for this cheapshot?  And how long are we stuck with this guy?  Man, I ‘d so much rather have a decent goalie…....

Posted by sean from TO on 04/24/10 at 07:48 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

I wonder what Q will say about this hit as it was almost identical to the brian campbell hit that got Ovie suspended for 2 games.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/24/10 at 07:55 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

sad that the NHL rules are based on result, not risk.

42.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

42.6 Fines and Suspensions - Any player or goalkeeper who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule 42 and/or Rule 44, in either Regular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automatically for the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.

When a major penalty is imposed under this rule, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall be imposed.

$100?!  are they kidding?  he played a total of 1066:51 in the regular season.  his salary is $7.9 million.  that means he is payed roughly $7,410 per minute.  a $100 fine amounts to less than 1 second of playing time.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/24/10 at 08:05 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

geez, and fiddler’s death wish to rafalski last night was a MINOR???

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/24/10 at 08:13 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

also they didn’t show the slew foot at the other end that got Chicago moving up ice.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/24/10 at 08:14 PM ET

that play is so similar to AO boarding on campbell. it seems the league and refs base everything on how hurt the player is instead of making the correct call. he should be suspend for rest of the series

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/24/10 at 08:28 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I don’t understand why he wasn’t given a game like Ovie was and he should be suspended for 2 games also.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/24/10 at 08:40 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

he shoulda been kicked out of the game, then suspended for 2 games.  He should never have been in a position to score that OT goal.  That push was hard to watch, just like the Ovie one

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/24/10 at 09:21 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

The only similarity I see is a guy going into the boards and getting injured.

And, honestly, I don’t even see a push.  Hossa arms were outstretched when he first makes contact.  I really can’t see his other hand (right) or what it does…but what it looks like Hossa does compared to what happens…it looks like maybe Hamhuis just lost his balance or toe-picked.

I mean, my initial reaction was that of yours, but…when I saw the slow-motion replay, I just don’t see how what happened was caused by anything Hossa did.

I’m not saying I’m right and I’m not saying you guys are wrong…that’s just what I am seeing (and my wife, who is not a hockey genius by any means or anything, saw and said the same thing I did after we saw the slo-mo).

Maybe it was the other hand that you can’t see the whole time?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/24/10 at 09:45 PM ET

Flash, come on!  I’m a Hawks fan and i’ll never deny that was a push from behind.  I don’t think we can complain about Ovechkin doing the same to Campbell if we can’t call this cheap shot for what it was.  Just because Hamhuis was able to skate off doen’t make it any less dangerous.

Even his explanation was crap:

“I tried to go for the puck,” Hossa said. “The guy turned his back to me. You don’t want to hit a player that way, but I couldn’t stop my motion.”

Of course his back was to you.. you were BEHIND him!  And is he talking about the clear motion of his hands shoving Hamhuis in the side?  Check out 1:19-1:20 of the video above and pause it ....it’s obvious!

Posted by sean from TO on 04/24/10 at 10:02 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by sean from TO on 04/24/10 at 09:02 PM ET

It looks a lot worse from behind.  I didn’t see that replay on TV.  My fault.  I was wondering why I was the only person in the universe that couldn’t see what was so bad about it.  Ha.  I’m an idiot.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/24/10 at 10:04 PM ET

The Hossa and Ovechkin hit/push are very similar, but I’d be surprised if Hossa gets suspended.  Ovechkin was a repeat offender and Campbell was seriously injured. Whereas Hossa has never been suspended (I think this was also his first major penalty) and Hamhius was more shaken up rather than injured.

Posted by John on 04/24/10 at 11:34 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Hossa did take a few swings at someone last year while in Detroit…don’t remember who, though.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/24/10 at 11:59 PM ET

Shouldn’t have been back in the game…but Nashville doesn’t seem like a team that complains about things.  The refs haven’t called any clear cut boarding (or elbows, or head shots) calls this playoffs which is just asking for trouble as the playoffs go on.

Posted by stoneman from vegas on 04/25/10 at 12:29 AM ET

We can debate all we like about how severe the play really was, but what it boils down to is- does it compare with the Alexander Ovechkin hit? If it does, then Marian Hossa should be suspended for Game 6 (that’s all we need, because one playoff game equals two regular season games). If it doesn’t, then Hossa should play Game 6. I’m of the former- they’re both shoves from behind and hard into the boards. It wouldn’t surprise me if Dan Hamhuis really was injured on the play but he decided he’d “play through it” anyhow. We’ll know more after the Predators are done, which may not come for a while yet.

Posted by stoneman from vegas on 04/24/10 at 11:29 PM ET

Good point; and we’ve already seen a few head shots pass without suspension. So much for the league’s “tougher stance”, eh?

-DG

Posted by DG from Alliston, ON on 04/25/10 at 02:33 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I don’t think there was malicious intent, but I think that it was a case of carelessness… Hossa was caught up in competing and didn’t think it through. He should have.

I don’t think the play was an icing play, but it was almost the same in the sense it was two players racing to the back boards for the puck… the NHL is trying to get rid of this, has made it clear the chasing player has to let up in these situations. Hossa should’ve known better.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/25/10 at 12:32 PM ET

Moq's avatar

The officials got the call right according to the rules, ie. boarding major without a game misconduct penalty. Obviously, it’s tough for Nashville to see Hossa score the overtime winner, but they had plenty of chances to decide the game in their favour before and after Kane’s equalizer.

Good point; and we’ve already seen a few head shots pass without suspension.

In general, head shots are legal unless they’re covered by the blindside rule. I can’t recall any blindside hits for the league to punish, but I haven’t seen every game.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 04/25/10 at 02:43 PM ET