Hockey Is Too Canadian

from Jen Floyd-Engel of Fox Sports,

There is a reason you do not see “Real Housewives of Montreal” and why hockey players for the most part remain virtually anonymous. Do not bother emailing me about how I am generalizing and how you are offended. I recognize not all of y’all are nice. I am sure there are some real jerkholes up there. Although, off the top of my head, all I can come up with is Nickelback (and their biggest crime is against music) and Sean Avery (of course).

The NHL, to its great detriment, plucks extensively from this frozen tundra of nice — which helps in finding Lady Byng candidates and kills them when trying to sell hockey down here. This is partially why there is no Igin-love.

Actually there are a couple of reasons, none having to do with Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla not producing Linsanity.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jarome+iginla

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

From the piece (which opens with much of the garbage above and then talks almost exclusively about Iginla):

5. And even if he had been a New York-living, underdog-y, pun-worthy hockey player, the old-school portion of the league still very much frowns upon even the faintest hint of self-promotion. The NHL is still very much a front-of-the-jersey league, again, to its own detriment

Bull. Shit. it’s a detriment. This is absolutely what I’m afraid of with the concept of hockey growing in mass-popularity. I absolutely LOVE the fact that the logo on the front is more important than the name on the back for 95% of the league (and yes, I’d argue even as a Red Wings fan that Crosby is part of that 95%).

I really enjoy that there are a few heels leaguewide and some stars who will put themselves above their team, but what’s consistently rewarded in the NHL is the attitude that whatever it takes to help your team win is whatever you should be doing on any given night.

I’m sorry if that bores you idiot sportswriters.  If you’re that worried about the dearth of crappy puns in our sport, I’d welcome you to check out NHL.com any day of the week. That site is absolutely rife with them.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/25/12 at 01:51 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

You know, people, an athlete, like anyone else, is capable of showing a personality apart from being a member of a team and yet not be an arrogant, self-important asshat.

“Personality” does not equal “jerk” even if some sportswriters think so. It just means that they have to actually, I don’t know, THINK about what they write instead of being lazy and doing nothing but compile inflammatory quotes. I know they might not all want to do their jobs, poor babies - which is why I read bloggers instead. raspberry

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 02/25/12 at 02:02 PM ET

This is the worst hockey article I have read in a long time and that is tough to do when you consider what comes out of Toronto every day.  As for stereotypes, anyone who knows anything about hockey does not equate Canadian with the term “nice”.

Posted by timbits on 02/25/12 at 03:07 PM ET

Dear Jen Floyd-Engel, the hyphen in your name is useless because I have no idea who you are with or without it. I would however like to thank you for writing the stupidest article I have ever read. Considering the fact that I occasionally read Ken Campbell, this is an amazing accomplishment. Thank you for reinforcing every complaint that Canadians spout about American fans.
    The very things that you revile in your article are the things that make hockey the best sport on earth. Teamwork and self sacrifice for a common goal(no pun intended) still rule the day in Hockey. You can keep Terrell Owens. You can keep the ridiculous reality freak show that is the NBA(“the decision” anybody?). You can keep your steroids, your players lying about their age and you can keep your basketball wives?!
    While I wish for Hockey to continue to grow and prosper, if the price is selling out to the stupid knuckle dragging segment of America that loves salacious reality style entertainment, then you can keep it. Oh and if this makes your job harder then TOO F*CKING BAD!

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/25/12 at 03:24 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/25/12 at 12:24 PM ET

Bravo

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 02/25/12 at 04:21 PM ET

OMG.  That is such a badly written personality comparo and contrast article.  Just pitifully awful.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/25/12 at 04:43 PM ET

I hate all the hype and cockiness and arrogance in the NBA and the NFL,if hockey players acted like that I’d simply not watch,keep the lebrons and tebows,keep the hype,I love the professionalism of hockey,and I love America but American tv is just filled with reality tv and people who talk more than they do…perfect for the nba and nfl

Posted by jeff from iowa on 02/25/12 at 05:11 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

False.  Hockey is for everyone.  The NHLN has told me so.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/25/12 at 05:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Jen has obviously never had the misfortune of watching Coach’s Corner.

Posted by Primis on 02/25/12 at 05:33 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

The Canadian influence on hockey is precisely why I am a fan. Hockey players generally polite and respectful off the ice and mean as hell on it. That’s the way I like it.

Posted by socalwingnut on 02/25/12 at 05:59 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Wow.  I thought they were trolling until they used the word “y’all,” then I realized they were just an idiot.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/25/12 at 07:11 PM ET