Hockey Notes With Some Bite

via Damian Cox of The Spin,

- The bile directed towards Gary Bettman is ridiculous and misplaced. But I will say this. His number one priority every season should be to get the season started on time, every time. He has failed. And while working with that dysfunctional players union must be next to impossible, resorting to the lockout time after time shows a lack of creativity in problem-solving by a commish who should have other answers by now.

- Talk to people in some fragile markets down south. The lockout is having devastating results. But the players and owners seem blissfully unaware.

- Not sure marginal NHL agent Allan Walsh realizes what a fool he's making of himself on Twitter these days. He's gone from being outspoken to idiotic.

- One thing we know for sure; if the NHL just opened it's door for business and established new working parameters, and if the NHLPA then went on strike, players around the world would cross that picket line in a flash. NHLers have proven they have no respect for anyone else's job.

- That Craig Leipold was one of the NHL owners in the room last Thursday is nothing short of a bad joke.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Dysfunctional players union?

Sure thing, Damo…

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/12 at 02:09 PM ET

NHLers have proven they have no respect for anyone else’s job

Really? This goes into the old lame argument that when a player is locked out they are not allowed to be employed by someone else. They make a lot of money therefore they should be denied employment. I’m not buying that. Every day of the year union members force non-union members off of union job sites right here in North America, that is reality. European players routinely come to North America and join the players Association, they took jobs that could have been filled by North American players. That’s too is not a travesty, it is reality.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/22/12 at 02:58 PM ET

Your points are valid.  BUT, i don’t know how you can make this argument and in the same breath say other hockey players are scabs if they come in and play for the owners should the owners decide to have replacement players.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/22/12 at 03:17 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

GTL I do agree there.  I don’t begrudge anyone taking a position offered to them.  Might begrudge the ones offering the position, but not the employee for taking it.  Goes for NHL’ers in Europe, scab players here (if we end up with that situation).  The idea that you are taking someone else’s job to me, is saying fundamentally you had claim to that job and/or are OWED that job.  Not down with that mentality.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/22/12 at 03:31 PM ET

harken23's avatar

Where the pro-Bettman/Ownership argument breaks down every time:
The players did their job, playing hard, competing, coming up thru juniors or NCAA or youth programs all over the world. They made the cut, got into the NHL.
The agents did their job, negotiating the best contract for their clients (the players) that they could get.

The owners SIGNED the contracts. Now they want to get out of the contracts they signed. Plain and simple.

And as far as players going overseas to play in Switzerland or KHL, etc: this isn’t a desk job where you can take a year or two off and jump back in at near 100% ability. These players have a very limited time in which to ply their trade, and if the owners won’t let them, I have no problem with them going elsewhere—just to stay in shape, if nothing else.

Posted by harken23 on 10/22/12 at 03:45 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The bile directed towards Gary Bettman is ridiculous and misplaced.

...working with that dysfunctional players union must be next to impossible…

NHLers have proven they have no respect for anyone else’s job.

Cox is a dick.

And as for the “bile” directed towards the Garden Gnome these days, wait until he walks into a rink once this farce is all over. He’ll think bile would be a major step up from what gets “directed” his way.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/22/12 at 03:57 PM ET

Now you are just HDinng. Where did I say anyone was a scab? I said I wouldn’t watch replacement players because it would be like watching AHL games at NHL prices. You felt the games would be comparable, I did not.

Now by definition, a scab is a strikebreaker, so if you “are not employed by the company prior to the trade union dispute, but rather hired ... during the strike to keep the organisation running” you are a scab. If you take the job of an at will employee that is working for an organisation that is still operating, you are by definition NOT a scab.  So even if I did use the term, I would be correct in applying it to players that came to play in the NHL during a lockout, but not to players that went to Europe.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/22/12 at 03:57 PM ET

Now you are just HDinng.

With all apologies to HD, since this was not in response to one of his posts.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/22/12 at 04:21 PM ET

my appologies.  I thought you had said that in the past.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/22/12 at 05:20 PM ET

my appologies.  I thought you had said that in the past.

No harm, no foul. It is hard enough to remember everything I’ve said myself ,so I don’t expect you to remember everyone else’s positions either.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/23/12 at 11:29 AM ET