‘Hits’ Keep Coming For Seguin

from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News,

So it has to be a little concerning that social media and the internet have been filled with negative Tyler Seguin stories for the past three days. The latest came Saturday night when Seguin (who can be found at @tylerseguin92 on Twitter) tweeted out: “Only steers and queers in Texas, and I’m not a cow.”

He followed that up this: “Twitter hacking has to stop. My apologies.”

Now, this is all important because Seguin back in April tweeted out a line he felt was funny and included the tag “no homo” in it. That stirred controversy at the time, as Patrick Burke, who is a leader in the social activism campaign “You Can Play” had to talk to Seguin. The campaign is aimed at stopping homophobia in sports, and the NHL strong endorses it, so two references in three months make Seguin notable for all the wrong reasons.

He explained after the April incident: “I think with myself, it was kind of late at night, just talking with my buddies, sometimes I forget that I’m on Twitter in front of a quarter-million people and not just talking to my friends. It’s just another learning experience.”

And yet, here we are again. Seguin said he was hacked, but many have speculated that Seguin simply left his phone out and one of his friends grabbed it and made the tweet. Burke tweeted out last night: “It’s obviously his moron “friends” grabbing his phone and projecting their stupidity all over his public reputation.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Dallas Stars, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tyler+seguin

Comments

DrewBehr's avatar

Sequin? Hahahaha.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/07/13 at 10:23 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

basically a Line from the movie AN Officer & a Gentlemen !! Good Lord Political Correctness is So retarded

Posted by Evilpens on 07/07/13 at 10:23 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Typo in headline fixed, been a long week.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/07/13 at 10:25 AM ET

Primis's avatar

The more I hear from Patrick Burke, the more I like him.  In times when he could easily be in position to raise a stink over something for public relations purposes, he more often than not chooses reality and sense instead.  If nothing else, you have to admit Brian raised some fairly grounded kids.

Yes.  This is absolutely what is probably happening to Seguin.  Unless you live under a rock, this is what you see happening to people on Facebook and Twitter all the time.  I have a relative in the Coast Guard and his buddies are constantly swiping his phone and posting stupid junk to Facebook, a lot of it very similar ot this.

It’s obvious Seguin is not posting this stuff himself.  He needs new friends though…

I also have younger relatives whose friends think it’s hilarious to swipe their phone and type something stupid and then “HACKED!”.  Which aside from the obvious stupidity, irritates me as an I.T. professional that this is now what the definition of “hacked ” is…  there was a time when this was considered “social engineering”, never a “hack”.  But we always fall to the dumbest level of definition possible because of peoples’ inherent stupidity, don’t we?

Keep this in mind when crying out against his “hacking” claims…. that word no longer means what most of us think it means.  Bubbaprog from Deadpsin fell victim to this yesterday and made a very stupid and ignorant, reactionary tweet basically calling Seguin a homophobe, which reflects very poorly on his own poor grasp of the situation or life in general nowadays.

Leave Seguin alone.  It’d probably be best if he just shut down his Twitter account to stop this, but he’s still a kid and probably doesn’t want to.  Instead I hope he tells whichever of his buddies is doing this to beat it and not come back.

Posted by Primis on 07/07/13 at 10:34 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Seguin tweet,

After repeated attempts by “hackers” to try to damage my reputation I have decided to shut down my twitter account for a while.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/07/13 at 11:37 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I don’t condone the homophobic tweets, and unless Seguin is a complete dunce, I believe at least this last instance was a phone swipe.

But can’t the poor guy have a party in the offseason without having to answer for it to the national media?  He’s young, he’s rich, and he’s having a good time.  If this was the night before a game, I’d question his integrity and dedication, but its the 4th of July.  Hell, I was drunk on the 4th, and I had to work in the morning.

Reminds me of the claims Philly made against Carter and Richards, and they seemed to do alright out in LA, possibly the party capital of the NHL.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/07/13 at 11:56 AM ET

Seguin tweet,

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/07/13 at 12:37 PM ET

“...for a while…?”  How ‘bout shutting it down for good?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/07/13 at 12:19 PM ET

“...for a while…?”  How ‘bout shutting it down for good?

Because why would he shut it down for good because of something an idiot friend did?

If everyone who tweeted something stupid decided to shut down their twitter then nobody would be on twitter.

Posted by Garth on 07/07/13 at 12:26 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 07/07/13 at 01:26 PM ET

If he can’t control his friends, shut down something he actually has control over.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/07/13 at 12:52 PM ET

JBytes's avatar

If he can’t control his friends…

I believe it would be easier to control his mobile.  If he’s going to leave it unattended, he should at least lock it with a security code.

Posted by JBytes on 07/07/13 at 02:05 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I can live with that.

Common sense why have ye abandoned us?

Posted by calquake on 07/07/13 at 02:09 PM ET

Which is what he’s doing.

I don’t see why he has to do it permanently though.  He shouldn’t be allowed to use a social networking tool because a tool he knows did a shitty thing?  Why?  Because he’s famous and people who are famous should have twitter taken away fo making a mistake?

Maybe he should be allowed to deal with it how he wants to, and maybe live his own life…

Posted by Garth on 07/07/13 at 04:35 PM ET