High Grades For Ken Holland

from David Staples of the Edmonton Journal,

In a Cult of Hockey poll, fans weighed in and handed Holland high marks with 86.5 per cent of them giving him a grade of A or B:

On Oilers Now, former NHL GM Brian Lawton said Holland did well. “For me, when I look at how teams have done, and I’ve been going through and seeing who had made some really nice adjustments in the offseason that will help them win more, I always compare it to what their ability was to spend money as well. The Oilers didn’t have a lot of money to spend. What they were able to accomplish, I would actually rank in the top third in terms of the position they were starting from.”

Article content continued
And former NHL GM Brian Burke, also on Oilers Now talking to Bob Stauffer: “I think Kenny is a Hall-of-Fame for a reason. I know people are upset about the goaltending but keep in mind the goaltending was above average during the regular season. It just kind of fell apart in the playoffs. I use MacGyver analogy. I used to watch MacGyver. He always found a solution. When you’ve got cap issues there’s two courses of action you can follow. You can do nothing or you can use a little bit of chicken wire and chewing gum and cobble together a solution, and that’s what Kenny has done. He’s used small chips, short term deals, small deals. I loved Turris coming in in the three hole. He’s taken the small amount of cap room he had and maximized it.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Apparently Burke REALLY liked Macguyver.  This is the second GM he has described using that “analogy”.

Posted by MikeO on 10/24/20 at 08:52 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Ken Holland as MacGuyver?  I wish there was an emoji for simultaneously facepalming, puking, spitting coffee through my nose, and actually laughing out loud.

Posted by dougie on 10/24/20 at 08:56 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

LMAO WUT

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/24/20 at 09:59 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, maybe Kenny has found his niche – run a team without money to spend. That way he can’t hand out ridiculous contracts to bottom-six players and pay way over-market prices for questionable free agents.

On a related note, the final $1,666,667 of Stephen Weiss’ buyout from five years ago will finally be off the books after this coming season. But it’ll take another five years after this season to get Abby’s buyout off the books. Thanks, Kenny.

I’m just glad for the Oilers fans that their team is strapped for cash so he can’t screw them over the way he did the Wings.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/24/20 at 01:37 PM ET

It’s sounds like on a scale of MacGuyver,
Stevie is peak super-MacGuyver, but Kenny
is also very MacGuyver.

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/24/20 at 05:08 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Burke: Yzerman did a good job = HHHT Damn Skippy, Burke knows what he’s talking about.

Burke:  Holland also did a good job = HHHT What is this fool spittin?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/26/20 at 07:26 AM ET