Hello KK Readers and Welcome to “Cluster Pucks”

A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

A pretty good way to describe the blog Doug will be running at Kukla’s Korner.

You the readers probably will be able to influence the topics Doug will cover, so make sure you let him know what you want to read about.

Welcome to KK Doug and good luck.  Just don’t spend too much time at the “Yack”.

-Paul

image

I’m Doug Miller. I saw that KK was looking for some new bloggers, on one of my endless hockey news feeds, and I figured… “hey, I might as well give it a shot, I do have a good background in both writing and in hockey”. Although my credentials aren’t much compared to the majority of the other excellent bloggers here at KK.

I’m a ten year veteran of the independent film scene in the “Downriver” area of southeastern Michigan. I currently work as a writer and director on a freelance basis. I’ve grown up and still reside in the suburban town of Wyandotte, MI. Which I’m quite proud of, as they took home the Division II State Championship in 2011. I’ve lived here my entire life and began following hockey in 1991, and starting playing shortly thereafter. I’ve played hockey at a competitive level at every position on every major surface (ice, inline, street) up until the age of 14, when I started working in independent film, but continued to play Goalie on a recreational level up until I was 22 and herniated a disc in my lumbar spine.

So since then I’ve obviously had to cut back on my playing time considerably. And now all of my “playing time” gets done in the virtual world, in the EA Sports Hockey League in EA’s multi-award winning NHL series for both Xbox 360 and PS3. But I play Goalie in this online world as well, as it was always my best position, and where I truly belong on the ice, be it real or virtual; between the pipes.

And I’m one of those people who take the “game” pretty seriously, as my back injury has limited me from most other forms of playing hockey for the time being. So, I became more absorbed into playing Goalie at a competitive level in the EASHL, which I still do on a regular basis, and enjoy the hell out of it.

As for my writing background. It’s more or less been self taught, and honed after years and years of experience. Although at age 9, I was judged to be writing at a “post collegiate” level as determined by a state-wide assessment test taken through the public school system, which made it rather obvious to me at the time what my natural talent in life was. Writing is something I do every day as it is, and one of the few things in life, aside from hockey, that I take a great amount of pleasure in. And I more or less starting writing about hockey by accident with the incidental matter of constantly ranting to my friends (or online teammates) about whatever was on my mind at the time, which for the last few years, has mostly just been hockey, as my back injury has allowed me to free up a lot of time from my day job, as I now work on a freelance basis, and can pick and choose film projects as I see fit. Which left more time to absorb more information and knowledge about hockey, which then in turn lead to even more ranting about hockey.

Eventually people just started telling me that I should pursue something along the lines of hockey writing or podcasting, since I also had a prior background in that as well, when I was running my own podcasts for the website for my own indie film production company; before I went freelance. I had considered starting my own hockey blogging site, but having managed and ran a website before, I know what a hassle it can be at times… but then the opportunity of this gig fell into my lap. I honestly didn’t know if I had much of a chance compared to some of the applications I knew would be coming in, but it just wasn’t an opportunity I could resist passing up, and thus, here I am.

Anyway, I’ve been eating, sleeping, and breathing hockey for the last 20 years. I’ll admit to being a diehard Red Wings fan, as they are the NHL team I’ve grown up with, and will always love, through the good times as well as the bad. I am loyal, but I am not biased, because I love hockey as a sport, first and foremost on every level. I talk about hockey every single day, and have some knowledge on the sport at almost every level. But fear not…. KK readers, for I would like to make it clear now that I am NOT another Wing’s blogger. We already have two outstanding blogs dedicated to keeping you up to date on the happenings in Detroit.

My blog - “Cluster Pucks” will focus on… well… just about a little of everything hockey related. And for the most part I’ll be keeping my hands off the NHL for the time being, as our other outstanding writers have that more than covered for you, for the most part.

I’ll be doing my best to keep you up to date on the AHL, the CHL, College Hockey, and whatever European leagues I might decide to touch on every now and then. I’ll also be doing some coverage on the online EA Sports Hockey League for EA’s NHL series, for both the competitive and casual crowds, and (should there be a demand for it), the other completive modes in the game, such as Online Versus and Hockey Ultimate Team.

But for the most part, I’m really going to leave it up to you guys… the readers, to guide me at times. As this blog will be all over the place, both literally and figuratively - hense the name.

So what do you want to hear more about? I’m all ears, and always eager to expand my basis of hockey knowledge.

You can follow me on Twitter @dougmiller37

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, Doug Miller, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Consider me a follower of “Cluster Pucks”!

Hope to hear about lots of up and comers…

Posted by bobafett from las vegas on 07/21/11 at 08:45 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Welcome aboard Doug, we look forward to yer perspective, If you enjoy writing half as much as George, I am sure we will all have plenty to read, ponder , and comment on. Your competition is worthy, but I am sure you will do fine. Hurry hockey, I’m horny for ya.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 07/21/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Welcome to KK, Doug. I look forward to reading your blog.

Posted by Seaner on 07/21/11 at 09:18 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Welcome, Doug!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/21/11 at 09:20 PM ET

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

Doug welcome aboard.

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 07/21/11 at 09:29 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Thanks everyone. It’s a pretty big thrill for me to become a part of the amazing team here at KK.

I’ll be profiling plenty of potential future prospects over the summer, among other things.

And “half as much as George” is a good goal I have already set for myself, as he is just a machine…

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/21/11 at 10:17 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Welcome Doug.  I very-much like the sound of someone covering minor pro and major junior.  They don’t get enough coverage.  Get some ECHL, SPHL, and Central league in there too?

Speaking of the Yack, will they ever improve parking there so they can maybe attract a minor pro team of some sort, or maybe an junior team?  Seems weird to have an arena that seats that many, but has no possible way to actually park that many outside…

Posted by Primis on 07/21/11 at 10:45 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Agreed that they don’t get enough coverage, and I’m going to be doing my best to keep tabs on everything, without having my (or any of your) head(s) explode in the process.

ECHL, SPHL, and Central League will get some consideration, because if you ask, I shall try and provide to the best of my ability.

And glad to see someone else besides myself (and a few friends) catch that little reference Paul added, haha.

There isn’t actually much they can do to improve parking, as it’s so close to the downtown business district that there simply isn’t anywhere to put more parking. But the thought of a minor pro or junior team there does amuse me quite a bit though, as that would be quite awesome.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/21/11 at 11:09 PM ET

Welcome aboard, Doug! Looking forward to reading your work!

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 07/21/11 at 11:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Welcome Doug.  I live in Columbus and go to a few OSU hockey games every season, and I’m pretty excited about the up coming transition to the Big Ten.  Any coverage on that would be a great addition to the website as far as I’m concerned.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/21/11 at 11:25 PM ET

having skated at the yack i think ice quality would be the first hurdle
btw my request of a cluster pucks blog would be the glory of george parros’s mustache (name probably messed up)

Posted by cookiesnow from Wyandotte on 07/21/11 at 11:36 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Yes, having OSU in the Ben Ten… where they belong, will be nice. And I’m really looking forward to that as well, because, I tend to bleed maze and blue…

I blame Joe for the ice quality, at least on Sundays, when we sat in the back room and watched football and/or hockey all night. Then again, who blames a Zamboni driver for bad ice? But they still have excellent people in concessions, at least, on occasion.

As for Parros’s stache…
Photobucket

I still think he can’t touch Lanny McDonald’s legend that is…
Photobucket

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/22/11 at 12:24 AM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

Welcome to KK, Doug! Look forward to your posts!

Posted by KelseyAnn from we have an NHL team here?, Arizona on 07/22/11 at 12:47 AM ET

Welcome Doug! You can write about Lanny McDonald anytime. I just watched game 6 of the ‘89 finals tonight and man, the guy was amazing even then.

As for ideas, maybe someday you can write an epic blogpost about the most important Dougs in hockey wink.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/22/11 at 01:18 AM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Lanny was a legend, and went out in style, what’s not to love?

But Iggy gets my vote for most original idea so far… love the idea! Thanks.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/22/11 at 01:30 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Don’t worry about living up to anybody’s expectations but your own, and just do what you do. Welcome aboard…it would figure that Paul had to bring somebody else from Downriver aboard raspberry wink

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/22/11 at 03:14 AM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Oh, don’t worry George, I know. But I usually hold myself to high expectations as it is.

But you’ve crafted a pretty impressive legend for yourself around here, and my hats off to you for that. And your work speaks for itself. I know I’ve been enjoying it lately.

And I had no idea Paul was even in my own backyard until he told me so himself. Because I stumbled in here by accident, and didn’t really know much about anyone. Other than a handful of blogs I had heard about before.

Funny how quickly things change sometimes.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/22/11 at 03:29 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

This is quickly becoming the website for bloggers from the fashion capital of Michigan! Maybe you could do a bit on the most important mullets in hockey. I kid.

I look forward to reading your postings.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 07/22/11 at 10:16 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m really excited to see the Minnesota and Wisconsin programs come to Columbus, even if that probably means bad things for OSU.  It is too bad though that some of the teams from the CCHA won’t be going Big Ten along with OSU and Michigan, such as Miami or Notre Dame.  I think the Big Ten will make a hell of a conference, though its to bad for me that OSU is probably gonna get kicked around a lot.  The team has never really returned to the form of the Umberger/Kessler years.

I sometimes feel like a man without a country being an OSU graduate and a diehard Wings fan (the Wings trump, of course).  Unlike a lot of my OSU brethren though, I have immense respect for the Maize and Blue.  Where would OSU and Michigan be without each other?  I can’t wait for football and hockey to come back… even though its probably gonna be pretty ugly this season for OSU.  Baseball just isn’t enough.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/22/11 at 12:20 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

Welcome to the blog Doug!  Glad to see some variety… granted most of what I read is red wings based.. but you can never have too much.

smile

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 07/22/11 at 03:07 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome, and I’m glad to see your just as excited to read it as I am to write it.

Where would OSU and Michigan be without each other?

I couldn’t have put it better myself. And I agree with you that OSU will probably get kicked around a bit in the Big Ten, at the same time, that high level of competition will pay it’s benefits to them in the long run.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/22/11 at 04:38 PM ET