Hard To Root For Sidney Crosby And The Pittsburgh Penguins

from  Hemal Jhaveri of For The Win at USA TODAY,

Pittsburgh fans couldn’t care less about Crosby’s reputation and they shouldn’t. Crosby is the best player in the game and they have him on their team, everything short of actually maiming a guy on the ice will be justifiable in a quest to win the Cup.

But for Pittsburgh outsiders and casual fans, Crosby’s antics last night were a vivid reminder of exactly why they don’t like him in the first place.

First, there was the tussle with Subban towards the end of the first period where Subban grabbed Crosby’s legs, and Crosby tried to escape by repeatedly pushed Subban’s head into the ice, in full view of a ref.  Players push limits all the time, but this went beyond just playoff hockey, and, for the uninitiated, it’s just a bad visual.

Think about it: here’s the best player in the game punching another dude’s head into the ice, and no one is doing anything to stop it.

During NBC’s intermission, Mike Milbury stayed true to his roots and defended Crosby’s actions, noting that the star player finally got some revenge.

“It’s cagey,” Milbury said. “And Subban had it coming.”

Again, Milbury stepping up for Crosby certainly advances the narrative that the hockey establishment has gone all in on making sure the Penguins super star succeeds.  Now, Crosby has certainly had his share of taking brutal hits during the playoffs, but taking all of his frustrations out on Subban’s head was indefensible.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

Man that hot take, click bait will melt your screen.  Its definitely true, people that can’t or won’t be as ruthless as you will do anything to cut you down.  The lesson here is, if you want to win, sometimes you have to grab life by the skull and bash it into the ice.  Good on him!

Posted by PMP5030 on 06/09/17 at 03:10 PM ET

I love that Subban grabbed him and wouldn’t let go, but it’s Crosby who went “beyond” somehow.

And I guarantee that anyone who say the game last night and was “uninitiated” would question Subban’s actions before they questioned Crosby’s.  At least in that particular instance.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/09/17 at 03:13 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

WOW. Those are two VERY bad takes. That’s Wall of Shame worthy.

I’ll take my leg being grabbed over my head being shoved into the ice 100/100 times. Oof.

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/09/17 at 03:25 PM ET

WOW. Those are two VERY bad takes. That’s Wall of Shame worthy.

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/09/17 at 03:25 PM ET

Exactly.  Subban, locking Crosby up in an effort to protect his junk, miscalculated and paid dearly.  Luckily, Crosby is merciful and didn’t gouge his eyes out.

Posted by PMP5030 on 06/09/17 at 03:28 PM ET

That was actually a pretty reasonable take on that game’s specific examples and context
and a bigger-picture overview of why fans outside Pittsburgh have (to my knowledge)
never really been able to embrace Crosby and sometimes don’t appreciate how good a player he is.

As a Wings fan I know I’m supposed to hate Crosby and Pittsburgh, if only
because of 2009.

While I don’t care for him or the Penguins, I don’t hate either. But every time I start to feel
more open to appreciating the kind of hockey they play,
they (and the league tilting the scales on their behalf) always
end up convincing me to root against them.

But hey, as long as Mike Milbury approves….

Posted by Lefty30 on 06/09/17 at 05:42 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Pittsburgh, taking its clue from its captain is a dirty team.  Kunitz and Malkin are horrible about mauling opponents.  Cindy Crysby is a terrible weenie.  He gets away with it because he is The Evil Garden Gnome’s pet.

In the old days, one G. Howe would have dragged Cindy’s face in the chain link until he needed plastic surgery for a stunt like he pulled on Subban.

Now, if anyone were to really go after Cindy, the league would suspend them for at least two seasons.  It is so obvious and the officials want to keep working so he gets away with almost anything.

He may be the best player in the league right now, but he is a total creep.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 06/09/17 at 06:19 PM ET