Hard To Believe

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

What should have been a fairly do-able mathematical adjustment last summer has transformed into the perhaps most ridiculous labor impasse in the history of pro sports.

Honestly, I can’t wrap my head around this one.

Are the owners and players really going to let the season get canned over the differences that remain in the two offers?

I would make the argument that the players are crazy to take that kind of financial hit rather than accept what the league and owners offered Wednesday night.

Similarly, the owners are out of their minds if they don’t see elements in the NHLPA’s counteroffer that they can live with to get hockey back this season.

Are we really going to drop the ax on an entire season because the owners are THAT adamant about five-year term limits for player contracts? And are the players THAT opposed to five-year contract term limits to let an entire season’s worth of salary go down the drain?

It’s pure madness in my opinion. All of it. Both sides.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Dakkster's avatar

This is a farce. Nothing but a *#$%@& farce. I’m not taking this league seriously again for years even if it gets back this year.

Seriously, both sides are either insane or retarded and the owners are beyond childish in how they are now refusing to negotiate if Don Fehr is in the room.

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 12/06/12 at 09:34 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

the Problem with this League is Farces like this Buffoon LeBrun who has NO Clue about economics at all & it’s all about get me back writing & talking about Hockey because I am making a complete ass of myself right now with this icky Economics & Stuffs

Posted by Evilpens on 12/06/12 at 09:37 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

For the millionth time, there is a deal here. Stop the politics and get it done.

This is how Buffoonish this clown Fart is, He thinks it’s “POLITICS !! LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 12/06/12 at 09:41 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

From deep inside players side: “We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out”

Posted by Evilpens on 12/06/12 at 09:43 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Yep, its actually its not all that hard to believe. I refuse to invest my money nor the money of my clients into a sector that involves industry that deals with unions. Don’t get me wrong, its not the unions situation that makes my skin crawl. I’m not union bashing here. Its the entire adversarial environment that makes me sick. No matter where you go, no matter who you talk to, it is the same damn thing. The union folks want to beat management. Management follks want to beat the union. No matter what the cost on both sides. Forget whoever the customer is. Forget economics 101. Forget meeting in the middle. Everything besides beating the other side iinto submission s irrelevant. And until that “what is in it for me” mindset changes to “what is best for the industry” changes, this crap is going to continue. Don’t be surprised by anything.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 12/06/12 at 10:13 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

Yeah, unions never made it better for the vaaaaaaaaaaaast majority of people they affect. And it certainly isn’t the draconian offers from management that forces unions to go on strike or anything. Workers should aaaaalways just accept whatever management is graceful enough to offer them. It’s not like unions were the basis for the huge growth of the middle class and established the West’s economic power or anything… Huge *#$%@& rolleyes at UMFan. Typica , ignorant, Randian bullshit that has no connection to reality at all. You just want the biggest return on your investment and that’s easiest when workers can’t bargain from a position of power. You disgust me with your selfishness.

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 12/06/12 at 10:36 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Dakkster, I don’t give a damn who wins and who loses in this fight. I really don’t. Its the actual fight that perplexes me. Both sides are willing to give up the farm for their point of view regardless of the outcome. Neither side sees the big picture. Neither side gives a damn about the actual product. And in the end, neither side “wins.”

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 12/07/12 at 12:05 AM ET

as well as other concessions on player contracting rights

I take issue with this one statement from the article. Every single contracting right has diminshed under the owners new CBA proposal. The fact that they would discuss diminishing the rights slightly less is not a concession.  It is like proposing a tax hike of 50% and then saying you got a tax break if they only raise it 35%.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/07/12 at 09:51 AM ET