Happy Mother’s Day

Even though I lost my mom a few years ago, I still think of her especially when it comes to hockey.

One memory will always stand out.

During the Wings cup run in 1998, I was luck enough to win 2 tickets to watch game 3 of the SCF against the Washington Capitals, tickets courtesy of a local radio station.

It was a fly in a few hours before the game, go to the game and fly out.  There was no doubt who I would be taking to the game and even though my mom was in her mid-70's and her health was in decline, I was determined to make it a trip she would never forget.

We had some time before the puck dropped, so we visited a local bar in the Washington area, right across from Ford Theater where Red Wing fans were gathering.

My mom became the hit of the pre-party, donning a Wings goalie cage mask and posing for pictures with many of the fans there.

When we arrived at the game, I noticed our seats were about 20 rows up in a nosebleed section and I doubted my mom would be able to make the steep climb.  Thankfully a few guys helped me out and we basically lifted my mom up to our seats.

Of course the Wings won the game, went on to win game 4 to sweep the Caps but my highlight of the Cup run was one that lived on for years, seeing the joy on my mom's face whenever she talked about  the trip.  Her friends really never understood why make such a fuss over a game, but my mom always told them," I was there with my son, nothing could have been any better than that."

Filed in: KK Website Business, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

IwoCPO's avatar

Great story, Paul. I was at that game too.  Crazy.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/12/13 at 11:49 AM ET

pautna's avatar

Love that story Paul. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by pautna on 05/12/13 at 01:13 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks for sharing, Paul.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/12/13 at 01:37 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Nice Paul. My Mother used to take me to games at Tiger Stadium when I was a kid. She loved Al Kaline, and told me about seeing Bob Lemon throw a no hitter against the Tigers in the 50’s.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/12/13 at 02:25 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Although I lost my mom at an early age stories like this bring a tear to my eye.  You never truly know what you have until you lose it.  Know that she smiles when she thinks of you also.  Happy Mother’s Day to all.

Posted by calquake on 05/12/13 at 02:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks Paul. Here is an excerpt of one of my favorite Irish Folk songs.
Happy Mothers Day!

“A mother’s love is a blessing
                                                          No matter where you roam
                                                          Keep her while she’s living
                                                          You’ll miss her when she’s gone
                                                          Love her as in childhood
                                                          When feeble, old, and grey
                                                          For you’ll never miss a mother’s love
                                                          ‘Til she’s buried beneath the clay”

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/12/13 at 03:07 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

No tougher Job in the world than being a Mother ! Happy Mothers day to all the KK Mothers

Posted by Evilpens on 05/12/13 at 03:59 PM ET

Great post Paul!
Happy Mother’s Day to all Moms
And a little story to honor the day

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 05/12/13 at 05:41 PM ET

“I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. I have clung to them all my life.” - Abraham Lincoln

Happy Mother’s Day to all Moms.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/12/13 at 05:47 PM ET