Grievances Galore

from Sean McIndoe (aka Down Goes Brown) at the National Post, .

..in an attempt to be as efficient as possible, the league has encouraged the NHLPA to consolidate all of their grievances into one single master list.

Well, that list was leaked to me this week. And the interest of keeping fans informed I’m publishing it here:

- Although we’ve made our feelings crystal clear on the matter over the years, there are still between 20 to 25 players at any given time who are being forced to play in Edmonton.

- Due to difficult economic times, Philadelphia Flyer fans are now pelting our wives and children with pennies and nickels, instead of the much lighter dimes they used to throw.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I don’t find Down Goes Brown to be funny at all, but all I hear from hockey fans and writers is how funny he is, quoting him, retweeting his twits. Anyone else share my opinion?

Posted by NathanBC on 07/30/10 at 03:48 PM ET

Yeah, I thought it was real for a second, then I just hated the entire article. I don’t get how its funny, its superficially stupid humor from someone who sounds like he never watches the sport.

Posted by callmedrw on 07/30/10 at 03:57 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I have to disagree with both of you.  I think Down Goes Brown is one of the funniest hockey comedy writers out there.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/10 at 04:21 PM ET

Paul From Cali's avatar

Not the least bit funny.

Posted by Paul From Cali on 07/30/10 at 04:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

DGB is consistently funny, probably the single-most entertaining hockey read on the web.

I’m still not sure why the NP picked DGB up, but considering the amount of stock put into HockeyBuzz and EkClown, I really am not sure why you guys are complaining about DGB’s writing.  DGB’s free after all, and doens’t pretend to be a hockey writer and not a lounge act.

BTW, DGB’s Suspension Flowchart may be the funniest hockey-related thing ever posted online (well not counting the YouTube video of Alex Semin’s slap-fight)....

Posted by Primis on 07/30/10 at 04:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

THANK you.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/10 at 04:40 PM ET

I agree he’s great. Picking on Edmonton and the Leafs never gets old…

Posted by Kstewy16 on 07/30/10 at 04:47 PM ET

It’s all just so obvious and simple to me, like the guy who makes a ‘joke’ and says “It was too easy, I just had to do it.”

Posted by NathanBC on 07/30/10 at 04:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by NathanBC on 07/30/10 at 02:49 PM ET

Ahh but Nathan.. it’s not what you do, but HOW you do it… and DGB does it with a panache that few bloggers or writers can.

For instance, Adam Proteau of THN tries really, really hard to be funny.  And he’s simply not, it just reads poorly and lacks style.  He does all the same jokes, but delivers them poorly.  It’s one thing to joke about NHL regulations, it’s a whole other thing to make an NHL Regulation Rink Chart and somehow turn it into one of the funniest hockey reads in a while.

I’m not saying he does or doesn’t belong in the NP.  This certainly reads like a milder, introductory sort of article, I’m sure after another one or two he’ll come out with more guns blazing like he normally does on his blog.  He certainly “gets it” more than most though.

And considering he’s a Leafs blogger.. who ever thought a Leafs blog would become a must-read for non-Leafs fans?

Posted by Primis on 07/30/10 at 05:28 PM ET

I can appreciate that.

Agreed on Proteau.

I like The Money Pit.

Posted by NathanBC on 07/30/10 at 07:41 PM ET

Sadie's avatar

I don’t have much to add, as Primis has pretty much said it all, but I wanted to weigh in on the side of DGB being the funniest hockey blog on the web.  I remember when I was recommending it to a friend who’s a Leafs fan, I couldn’t narrow my absolute favorite posts down to fewer than half a dozen or so.  Probably the only hockey blog where I regularly laugh out loud like an idiot while reading (which has the unfortunate effect of making it very difficult to read at work).

Posted by Sadie from Ann Arbor, MI on 07/30/10 at 08:38 PM ET