Go Avs Go

Hockey fans, you are in for a real treat!

Enjoy the writings of our new Colorado Avalanche blogger Martin Krantz.

-Paul

I’m one of what feels like a dozen new bloggers making their way onto Kukla’s Korner. But if I say so myself, I’m slightly unique. As a swede, I’m not only writing in my second language. I also find myself in the position of being the Colorado Avalanche blogger on a site where the Red Wings are pretty dominant. What can I say in my defense?

First of all – this wasn’t how it was supposed to go. This isn’t how my life was supposed to turn out.

Last week, I found a short piece I had written as a 12-year old about what my future would look like 14 years from then. I was born in 1982, so it was written in 94, and detailed my life as of 2006. Let me share it with you.

“Hi”.

Good, unassuming start.

“My name is Martin, and I’m 22 years old.”

In 2006? As you might’ve guessed by now, math wasn’t my strong suit.

“I’m the Chief of Medicine at the largest hospital in Los Angeles.”

Oh goodie. No grasp on how long it takes to actually become a doctor either, it seems. Working as a doc was my big dream growing up ever since seeing an ambulance when I was three years old. I immediately turned to my grandmother and told her I’d be a doctor when I grew up and I’d cure her weak heart. But she couldn’t be ill on weekends, because that was my time off. Cute story, and only slightly ruined by the fact that granny didn’t have a weak heart.

“In my spare time, I’m an NHL goaltender with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Last night we beat Chicago Blackhawks by a score of 6-0.”

I guess you were wondering when I’d get to the hockey part, right? Well, this was my dream – dashing doctor during the day, great goaltender by night. I’d never sleep. And have no need for practice, it seems.

The Ducks weren’t even my team growing up. But I had watched and enjoyed the first Mighty Ducks movie. I guess I wasn’t really a big hockey fan until everyone in my school decided that the Cool Thing of the Month (CTM) was collecting hockey cards. In the first pack I ever bought, from the Parkhurst ‘93-‘94 series, was a card of Patrick Roy. I became a big fan of his, and when he was traded to the Avalanche, my allegiances followed suit, and I’ve been with the Avs ever since. I use any means necessary to follow my team – the internet, radio, TV, psychics. Anything.

As for my own career, the only thing holding me back from becoming a successful NHL player one day was a complete lack of talent. I was a natural goaltender – I was rubbish at everything else, so my friends/antagonists stuck me in net and said “stand there, and we’ll shoot at you. Just be in the way. You’re good at that.”

And I was. Though never being close to a pro athlete, mostly due to my hatred of working out, I was the goaltender on every team I played for, and in every sport I ever tried. I actually got an A in gym class just because I was great at being in the way!

In my early 20’s, I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, much like my big idol outside of sports, Michael J. Fox. As a point of reference, you’re considered young if you get PD at 50. Getting it in your early 20’s? I think the rest of the PD-community considers me a sperm.

Unlike many other bloggers, I don’t have a background in journalism. I don’t have a degree in english or literature. No, I studied accounting. The obvious choice for someone with my math skills. Never did a lick of accounting after school though. Life took me down another road.

Since 2001, I’ve been a working stand-up comedian, and I’ve had it as my only line of work since 2006. I’ve done shows in London and New York, I have a book coming out this winter, and I have just written my first script for a TV show due to air this fall in Sweden. Today, I’m 29 year’s old, I have a beautiful wife and a gorgeous new-born daughter (2 months old soon), and I’m nervous about being picked to blog at Kukla’s Korner and if I’ll measure up to all the other great writers I’ve been following. And my life didn’t turn out anything like what 12-year old me was expecting. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I’ve been considering names for my new blog all day. My first thought was a variation on “Bend it like Beckham” - “Turtle it like Claude”. But I decided against it. I’m expecting to be heckled enough without adding fuel to the fire.

So, please take some time out of your day to read “The Burgundy Letter”. If you want me to write about something, or have any thoughts and comments, you can reach me at burgundyletter@martinkrantz.se. I look forward to talking to all of you!

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, Martin Krantz, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Hold on to your Butts

Posted by Bushay from Detroit on 07/22/11 at 08:45 PM ET

hiero4life's avatar

Welcome

Posted by hiero4life on 07/22/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Marc Siciliano's avatar

Awesome stuff. This should be a doozy; welcome!

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 07/22/11 at 09:11 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Welcome to the crew Martin.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the Wings fans, the Avs rivalry is pretty much ancient history at this point, and with pending realignment on the horizon, the Wings fans will probably be far more focused on hating the Pens (yes, even more than they do now). Plus your a Swede, so you’ve already got them partly on your side.

And wow, PD in your early 20s is virtually unheard of (I have a rather vast amount of randomly scattered medical knowledge as well). Add to it that your writing in your second language… very impressive sir.

Looking forward to the blog. Best of luck.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/22/11 at 09:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Well I’m gonna have to disagree with the title of this post, but welcome.  Looking forward to reading your content.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/22/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Welcome Martin, man I used to hate the Avs with a passion! Obviously now the rivalry is no where near what it used to be but I still enjoy when the Avs and my Wings hook up especially with Matt Duchene flying around out there now.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/22/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Welcome to the community!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/22/11 at 09:34 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

Welcome!

Doctor, NHL goaltender, accountant, comedian…you’re a jack of all trades wink

As a Red Wings fan I’m not crazy about the Avs (I don’t hate them anymore, these days my feelings have taken on a more apathetic tone) but I still look forward to reading what you have to say. Welcome to the KK family

Posted by KelseyAnn from we have an NHL team here?, Arizona on 07/22/11 at 09:54 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Oh don’t fret, we’ll have one hell of a live blog when you retire Forsberg the Pedo’s number.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/22/11 at 09:59 PM ET

Welcome to Kukla’s Korner, Martin! Looking forward to reading your work!

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 07/22/11 at 10:02 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Wait.  Denver still has a team?

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 07/22/11 at 10:05 PM ET

Martin Krantz's avatar

Thanks for all the kind comments! And comments. wink

Doug Miller - you should see me meeting a new doctor.

Me: I’ve got PD.

Doc: Can I have your brain when you are gone? Whassat? Not lethal? That can be arranged.

I kid of course, but they do look at you like you should be in a zoo.

Posted by Martin Krantz on 07/22/11 at 11:22 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Loved reading your first post…some great stuff in there…and since the Avs are no longer a threat to the Wings (or any other team for that matter) I can tolerate their existence… so I will definitely be reading more of your entries to come.  I feel bad for Matt Duchene…seems like a good kid…Keep up the good work

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 07/23/11 at 12:20 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

None of those things make anyone a writer, Martin. They make those people either reporters or English teachers. What you have is an obvious flair for writing, which is probably why you’re also good at comedy. You’re sort of like the Master Chief – but with a screwed up sense of hockey allegiance.

You produced a great first post, and I’m looking forward to reading many more like it in the future.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/23/11 at 01:30 AM ET

Martin Krantz's avatar

I feel bad for Matt Duchene…seems like a good kid…Keep up the good work

First off, thanks for the compliment. And concerning Duchene - don’t feel bad for him. Duchene was an Avs fan growing up, and I’m sure he loves being on the Avs, even through a rough stretch like this one.

Also, I kind of see two roads ahead for the Avs this season - in one, they finish in a playoff spot (or close to one), and the team can hopefully work from there. They will have a lot of cap space in the future since they have decided to wait for the new CBA to be in place before spending to the cap.

On the other road - the Avs are punished once again by injuries, a weak defense and sub-standard goaltending and finish with a lottery pick. Or, rather, the Capitals finish with a lottery pick. That would set the Avs back a lot, and should be grounds for dismissal of GM Greg Sherman. And then I would feel sorry for Duchene. grin

@OlderThanChelios - Thanks! I’m glad that the first post was appreciated, and I hope I can keep it up and bring interesting pieces to the readers of Kukla’s Korner in the future as well. Is the Master Chief a Detroit Red Wings fan? I always imagined he was a Maple Leafs fan gone postal after another season without playoffs.

Posted by Martin Krantz on 07/23/11 at 03:34 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

Welcome, Martin! Super first post.

I kid of course, but they do look at you like you should be in a my first rec team; and instead of psychics it was NHL ‘93 on Sega Genesis.

“they do look at you like you should be in a zoo.” It’s probably mostly the interns and medical students. We’re sorry, but we do end up looking at everyone that shows up like that. The teaching hospital is our zoo.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 07/23/11 at 08:32 AM ET

Let’s see if this works.

Posted by Close italics on 07/23/11 at 01:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Is the Master Chief a Detroit Red Wings fan?.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was referring to the infamous Bill Houliahan of KK’s Able to Yzerman blog. He’s a newly annointed Master Chief in the Navy, and also has quite a “flair” for writing – although “stream of consciousnesss” (or maybe it’s unconsciousness) might be a better description.

No. After having nothing to do for the past umpteen springs, I believe that guy would be referred to as a Master Bater.  smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/23/11 at 01:17 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Is the Master Chief a Detroit Red Wings fan?.

Is the bear Catholic?
Does the Pope shit in the woods?
LOL

Welcome aboard.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/23/11 at 02:05 PM ET

dougie's avatar

If you are earning your paycheck as a standup comedian, then there is absolutely nothing going to be thrown at you here that you can’t handle. Just you, a spotlight, and a microphone?

Damn, I had to pop a Xanax just typing that last thought.

Just remember that you are doing it for FUN and love of the game. There are some who will take great delight if they succeed in robbing you of those things.

And that is absolutely the last nice thing I am ever going to say to any Avalanche fan for the rest of my life.

wink

Posted by dougie on 07/23/11 at 04:55 PM ET

Martin Krantz's avatar

@Markk - yeah, I know. But it’s experienced doctors getting that look in their eye of “this can’t be right, I have to test this myself”. It’s easier now that I’m closer to the 30-mark though.

@OlderthanChelios - ah, now I get the reference. Thanks for explaining it. grin

@NateA - Does the pope shit in the woods? No, I think he shits on a fan, usually. wink

@dougie - Thanks for the kind words. Being a comedian is stressful in the beginning, but like with everything else, you find a comfort level soon enough. And my love of the game is definitely why I’m doing this. Thanks for the reminder. grin And for using your one nice thing to say to an Avs fan on me. grin

Posted by Martin Krantz on 07/23/11 at 07:16 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posting on an Avs blog makes me feel like I need to take an acid bath and say like 20 Hail Mary’s…

That notwithstanding, I look forward to reading more of your material. Welcome aboard!

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 07/25/11 at 09:25 AM ET