Giving Credit To The NBC Sports Group For Their Hockey Coverage

from Micael Arace of the Columbus Dispatch,

“I’ve worked for them all, NBC, ABC, Fox, ESPN, CBC … and I loved them all,” said Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson, a Hall of Fame broadcaster. “The one thing they have in common is people who love hockey and want to convey that passion. Sam Flood and the NBC guys, they’ve taken full ownership. It has never been better.”

Flood, executive producer for NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network, is the son of a hockey coach and a former college hockey player. His mission has been to take the raw appeal of a so-called niche sport and translate it to a wider audience. To that end, he has been part of such innovations as the Winter Classic and Wednesday Night Rivalry, and he is credited for sticking Pierre McGuire behind the glass, for good or ill.

Since the Comcast-NBC merger, Flood said, “All the hockey content has come under one roof and we have the ability to create a common template and send the same message: There is a passion and enjoyment people get from this game, and it is unlike any other. We want hockey players to become as big a stars in the U.S. as they are in Canada. We can’t equal the NFL in this country, but we can expand it

The NHL is not the most enlightened enterprise, not when it locks out once every decade, eschews meaningful revenue sharing, shelters foundering franchises and imports officials from ancient Byzantium. Yet, credit must be given where it is due, and the NHL is shaping up well on the NBC Sports networks. One might even say that it is better off on NBC than in some dark corner of Bristol. Boo yah.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nbc+sports+group

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Yeah now if they would can Milbury, Roenick & Jones

Posted by Evilpens on 05/10/13 at 09:00 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Give them credit? They are god awful. It’s bad enough to hear Doc and the other jokers yammer on during games, but then Milbury at the intermission? Ugh. Torture.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/10/13 at 09:01 AM ET

I think there coverage has been great, they get the games on, the shows have energy and the broadcasts have been good. Try watching the CBC games with their brutal announcers and clown act hot stove crew.

Posted by timbits on 05/10/13 at 09:08 AM ET

Yeah now if they would can Milbury, Roenick & Jones

and Emrick, Olzcyk…

Honestly after years of these atrocious NBC broadcasts the one that I find the least annoying is McGuire…sure he’s lame and a bit of a creep, but compared to Doc and Eddie he seems almost refreshing, which is fuc*ing ridiculous.

Posted by godblender on 05/10/13 at 09:14 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

You know, I absolutely agree.  Before this season I couldn’t stand McGuire, but for whatever reason I now respect the guy.

Still though, McGuire, Doc, and Eddie do not need to tell us the origin of birth for each player during every game.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/10/13 at 09:18 AM ET

Amen!  That is a McGuire trick to try and prove he knows where Salmon Arm is located.

Posted by timbits on 05/10/13 at 09:25 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Dave Strader is definitely my favorite play-by-play guy.  I don’t think he gets enough credit. Kenny Alberts hasn’t been bad.  Doc gets old, but I feel like those two just all the games and have pretty standard voices that I don’t really think much about, which is how I feel it should be.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/10/13 at 09:28 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

NBC coverage is painful and incomplete. If a person lacks cable or satellite, they’re not seeing postseason play this year. That alone is a HUGE problem. If you live outside of market, you won’t see games pretty frequently. The local NBC affiliate ROUTINELY bumps post-season hockey for regular season Indians baseball games.  And then there’s the in-game calls! And the intermission reports. NBC is so incredibly bad at broadcasting hockey that it’s almost a relief when they fail to deliver the games.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/10/13 at 09:30 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Redxblack, it may not make up for it completely, but you can watch all games via online stream this year, even from mobile devices. It’s been a godsend for me, especially when I have to be elsewhere during a game. I really appreciate that they’re getting with the times and doing stuff like that.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/10/13 at 09:35 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

This is my impression on the few broadcasts I got over the last couple years:

I’ve got maybe 2 TSN broadcasts, max.. It seens to me like they put 2 bored people that dont like hockey to broadcast it.

Got stuck with a Predators broadcast once (Wings broadcast had technical difficulties), and HOLY CRAP, are they homers… I got the same impression on a Penguins x Flyers game, the Flyers broadcasters where ridiculous

NBC… Its pathetic.. They are way better than the other local broadcasts I saw, but the little things they do are pretty terrible
Things like, when theres a obvious mistaken call from a ref, they just ignore it and dont replay it. Just pretend it never happened!
And they have some kind of musicality in their broadcast that really irritates me… I dont know what it is, but just the way they speak sounds like its fabricated. It seens like they try to talk in a non-natural way, somehow…

FSD crew is pretty awesome, huh?
Specially before they dumped Murphy, I thought they were perfect!
Guess we are just spoiled with our regular broadcast beeing the best one out there?

Posted by Zqto on 05/10/13 at 09:36 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Kenny Alberts is okay.  He sort of dulls me into a trance.

Doc gets me so wired I can’t sit still.  I’m jumping all over the living room, performing strange dance rituals - just because he makes everything so exciting for no reason.  “AND HE SHOOTS THE PUCK INTO THE CORNER!!!”

Just thinking about Doc while typing that paragraph made my heart rate jump from 55 bpm to 97.  He knows a lot, but I just wish he implied enthusiasm when it is truly deserved.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/10/13 at 09:37 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by TreKronor

LOL
I think you just made me realize what I think is so unnatural about NBCs broadcast… It might be the relentless tension in it

“HOLY SMOKES, A HAND PASS!!!! THE REF SURE HAD AN EYE ON THAT ONE! NOW THE FACE-OFF GOES OUTSIDE THE ZONE!!!”

Its like their broadcast is “capslock always on”

Posted by Zqto on 05/10/13 at 09:43 AM ET

Amen, brothers (and sisters-whatever)!  I thought I was the only one.  I feel like I’ve suddenly found a support group i didn’t know existed—for people driven crazy by Mike Emerick.

With Mike everything is OMG!!!! OMG!!!!  If you’ve looked away for a moment, you think you must be missing something earth-shaking, but you’re not—it’s just Mike being Mike, who’s lost all ability to convey any nuance (if he ever had any).

With his years of experience watching the game, we should be able to rely on him being able to distinguish a shot from a SHOT!!!!!! but no.  Drives me up the wall.

The Pittsburgh morning show does a humorous bit on this very thing:

Doc, Edzo and Pierre go to the zoo

Doc, Edzo and Pierre order breakfast

Posted by Lex Talionis on 05/10/13 at 10:22 AM ET

It’s bad enough to hear Doc

Doc?  Doc is one of the best ever.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/10/13 at 10:23 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

NBC’s coverage is pretty darn good*

* volume must be all the way down and Pandora on

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/10/13 at 11:01 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Doc?  Doc is one of the best ever.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux

If Doc is one of the best ever, there’s not been enough good broadcasters on this sport

Posted by Zqto on 05/10/13 at 11:05 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by Lex Talionis

WUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

These are amazing, it’s like I’m watching a game live! Or a stroll to the Zoo live, to be more accurate!

Pretty much sums up the feeling I have when watching a NBC broadcast… Sadly.

Posted by Zqto on 05/10/13 at 11:10 AM ET

Posted by Lex Talionis on 05/10/13 at 11:22 AM ET

HA. Pretty spot on.

Posted by godblender on 05/10/13 at 11:35 AM ET

pautna's avatar

John is a smart man. He doesn’t believe a word he’s saying, he’s just keeping his broadcast options open for when he’s fired from Lumbus.

And I agree that yammering on and on about god knows what, instead of wait for it… calling the game, brings the value of the broadcasts down in a big way. I lower the volume to a barley audible level, so I can actually enjoy the hockey.

Posted by pautna on 05/10/13 at 11:37 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Doc?  Doc is one of the best ever.

Having the gift of gab does not a good announcer make.  He would do better to learn the damned rosters and pay a little more attention to the game in front of him instead of the story he’s set upon.

the only thing that bugs me about Pierre is he falls into this trap of ‘that’s as good as it gets in this league’ or ‘now that’s talent’ crap.  I think people in Pierre’s mind are only in one of two categories: great and not great.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/10/13 at 11:45 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Gary Thorne

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/10/13 at 11:50 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Gary Thorne

Makes me miss the good ol’ ESPN days… Thorne and Clement kicked a$$.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/10/13 at 12:25 PM ET

One of the best moments in the regular season was from an NBC coverage of the Wings against the sTards on the night that Nill was hired as the sTards new GM.  The Wings were up 3-nil with a break in the action.  A cameraman zoomed in on Zata and Dangles sitting next to each other on the bench.  While Dangles was checking the taping on his stick, Zata sat next to him with one hand on the bench wall, but it was his eyes that gave me cold chills.  He had an intensity in his eyes I ain’t seen since Yzerman sat on that bench.  One of the best captures on an NBC broadcast this season.  And I’ll never forget it.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/10/13 at 12:27 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Gary Thorne SUCKED!! yelling & screaming does not cover up the fact that he had NO CLUE what he was watching & serially mispronouncing players names

Posted by Evilpens on 05/10/13 at 12:33 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

@NHLJEFF - I can’t watch them through the NBC streaming sites. The streams require a login, and they want cable provider info, which I cannot give since I do not have cable.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/10/13 at 12:54 PM ET

awould's avatar

I don’t know what guy it is, but some dude has referred to rebounds as…

portly
rotund
chubby

That is annoying.

Posted by awould on 05/10/13 at 12:56 PM ET

Paul's avatar

awould, sounds like analyst Daryl Reaugh who also holds the same position with the Stars.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/10/13 at 12:59 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

MOWingsfan19 Gary Thorne SUCKED!! yelling & screaming does not cover up the fact that he had NO CLUE what he was watching & serially mispronouncing players names
Posted by Evilpens on 05/10/13 at 01:33 PM ET

There we go. That’s the Evilpens we know and love.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/10/13 at 01:10 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I’v enjoyed the Alberts/McGuire pair. Doc was good but he’s got what I used to call Gene Hart disease, he’s stayed on the mic just a little bit longer then he should have and is more concerned with telling a story, relationship to the game never a concern, then calling the action. I liked Thorne, I enjoy hearing him on other broadcasts on other sports.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/10/13 at 02:30 PM ET

peiz11's avatar

I feel like I’m in the minority in absolutely loving Doc. He brings an energy to the game that makes it exciting. He has the most ridiculous knowledge of seemingly every player of the league. I don’t get why people would rather have the announcer say “pass, pass, shot, pass, check” then give me some information that I would have otherwise never known. I can see the game, I don’t need someone telling me everything that happens. Doc brings a different element to the broadcast that other guys don’t.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 05/10/13 at 03:52 PM ET